Tears were once my only way back home (1/72 Eduard Spitfire IXs)

21 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Great explanation of washout James :thumbsup:

I don't know if this adds much.... 

Spitfire%20MH434%20low%20pass_zpsei4ndjd

an excuse to repost this clip, Warning,  some (justifiable) swearing in link....

which  is old news, but makes me chuckle every time.

cheers

T

OT but I met both Ray Hanna and Brendan O'Brien (the man being filmed) as well as Ray's son Mark when he brought MH434 to Dundee the day I did my final handling test of my RAF Flying Scholarship in the summer of 1998. This was before the internet really and I recognised Mark from a magazine, but I was going out as he walked in towards the club house. My mum & dad had come to take me home and arrived early to see my flight. My dad also recognised Mark and told him I'd have loved to have met him. Mark, renowned gentleman, fobbed off the owner of the flying club's attempt to usher him away and sat with my family for an hour on a picnic table outside the club house until I got back and landed. He talked about flying, the RAF and warbirds for ages after wards and someone in my family has a pair of Polaroid photographs with his signature of my little sister and I beaming like absolute lunatics sat in the cockpit of that there Spitfire IX :)

They (Mark and Laura Wetton, now married to Paul Bonhomme and often seen on TV during Red Bull air races) suggested we kept in touch through the Old Flying Machine Company and did respond to any correspondence and invited us to drop in whenever we were at Duxford. I never did meet him again in person - he died from severe injuries attained during a Hispano HA1112 Buchon accident arriving for an airshow in Spain the following year. I think it was earlier in 1999 we met Ray at their office at Duxford.

I was at Deeside Gliding Club in Aboyne with my best friend one day around 2001 or so (we were at University by this point) and bumped in to Brendan O'Brien who at the time had a TV series about being a pilot.

• Like 11

That is not Brendan being filmed but Alan de Cadenet. He did a TV series for BBC called The Air Show (from memory) and Brendan did 'Flightline'.

I do remember a lot of single women at Mark's memorial service in London!

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, melvyn hiscock said:

That is not Brendan being filmed but Alan de Cadenet. He did a TV series for BBC called The Air Show (from memory) and Brendan did 'Flightline'.

I do remember a lot of single women at Mark's memorial service in London!

Huh. I thought they were the same person. Sorry Alan, I thought you were Brendan!

1 minute ago, Cookenbacher said:

I'm stealing your idea on the frame piece.

At last, I have a good idea before Cookenbacher! Long have I waited for this day.

• Like 5

So with two out of the three Spitfires, I had problems getting the canopies to sit properly. I don't think it's a coincidence that these are the onces I biffed on cockpit assembly (tight tolerances and all), but you never know, so be aware.

31496421614_041c4ef0c9_h.jpg20170115_213829 by Edward IX, on Flickr

31961556890_6c7ee60258_h.jpg20170115_213842 by Edward IX, on Flickr

It's not terribly visible in the photos, but in real life I can assure you it was horribly visible.

After a bit of work, they're both betterish now, but it was dicey for a bit:

Here's my "good" one, masked up:

31496422064_8776c02e9a_h.jpg20170115_213812 by Edward IX, on Flickr

I still need to do the radiators and then mask and paint the canopies...then primer?

• Like 12

5 minutes ago, CedB said:

and that canopy looks really clear and shiny - did you dip it in something?

He noticed! :swoon:

Yep, I dipped the canopies in Alclad Aqua Gloss, which is a little like Future, but much more expensive, so you know it's gotta be good.

• Like 5

I have some of that!

Jaime recommended it to me and I tried it, once, but found that the masking tape left a residue. I bet this is down to my impatience... I probably left it overnight (at the most). I also learned to pour it into something else before dipping rather than trying to use tweezers to dip the part into the bottle and dropping the part... what fun! Not.

Thanks PC :) 

• Like 4

Just now, CedB said:

I also learned to pour it into something else before dipping rather than trying to use tweezers to dip the part into the bottle and dropping the part... what fun! Not.

Oh, I live on the edge. Bottle dipping's for me! 

1 minute ago, CedB said:

Jaime recommended it to me and I tried it, once, but found that the masking tape left a residue. I bet this is down to my impatience... I probably left it overnight (at the most).

Interesting. These were left rather longer, but I tend to forget to dip until the day before I mask...maybe just rotten luck?

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, CedB said:

I have some of that!

Jaime recommended it to me and I tried it, once, but found that the masking tape left a residue. I bet this is down to my impatience... I probably left it overnight (at the most). I also learned to pour it into something else before dipping rather than trying to use tweezers to dip the part into the bottle and dropping the part... what fun! Not.

Thanks PC :) 

I've seen similar things, and something that has crossed my mind is that when you spray, whether the solvent content of the paint ( I thin with isopropanol) interacts with the tape adhesive and leaves me with a gunky layer.

• Like 2

Good point Mitch, I think I was using Mr Hobby Color when I had my problem. Another reason for a quick coat of Klear/Future on the masks before spraying.

9 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

As for Byzantine have you come across this series of podcasts?

https://thehistoryofbyzantium.com/

I have not -- my main exposure to Byzantium comes from reading Gibbon's Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire and latterly Procopius's The Secret History and his History of the Wars, which has this amazing digression:

"The story of this pearl, as told by the Persians, is worth recounting, for perhaps to some it may not seem altogether incredible. For they say that it was lodged in its oyster in the sea which washes the Persian coast, and that the oyster was swimming not far from the shore; both its valves were standing open and the pearl lay between them, a wonderful sight and notable, for no pearl in all history could be compared with it at all, either in size or in beauty. A shark, then, of enormous size and dreadful fierceness, fell in love with this sight and followed close upon it, leaving it neither day nor night; even when he was compelled to take thought for food, he would only look about for something eatable where he was, and when he found some bit, he would snatch it up and eat it hurriedly; then overtaking the oyster immediately, he would sate himself again with the sight he loved."

(History of the Wars, Book I: The Persion War, IV)

PS My favourite emperor is probably Diocletian. "If you could show the cabbage that I planted with my own hands to your emperor, he definitely wouldn't dare suggest that I replace the peace and happiness of this place with the storms of a never-satisfied greed."

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Procopius said:

...so be aware.

I will be! It has been my great fortune to be lagging behind yours and Ced's Spitfire builds - lots of tricks to steal, er borrow.

9 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Looking good so far. You can never have enough of Mr. Mitchell's finest.

As for Byzantine have you come across this series of podcasts?

https://thehistoryofbyzantium.com/

Trevor

Thanks for that Trevor, I'm adding that to the podcast queue for sure. My knowledge of Byzantium is mainly limited to the Wikapedia page about Procopius, which I stumbled upon because I was trying to figure out what a 'Procopius' was.

Whilst perusing the accumulated wisdom of BM Land  chanced upon the rather wonderful if, at times, angry post opening this thread. That's right up there with the best Mr P.

To Mrs P and yourself congratulations, in my families experience two are self-regulating as long as they aren't born a few minutes apart. The hours of fun I had at school defending my dear sister. Probably should have fought less and learned more.

Cracking work so far I also have mixed feelings about Messers Eduard but variety is the spice of life apparently. I'm a Colourcoats Man myself now and will never cast my eyes elsewhere again.

Keep up the good work Sir! I suspect you may suddenly disappear from our Host if Mrs P ever reads this Forum....

Polish Social Club yes, I think I may have just about recovered from my last venture, only three years this time. I am fortunate to work with a lot of Polish people, doubly so as most are female although too many of them have partners who like to knock them around a bit, I tend to have a short fuse about that.:fight: 

For Benedikt and others. I lived in Germany for a couple of years for work (not military) and had a bit of trouble with some Germans. Most were great. I think idiots are everywhere.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, SleeperService said:

For Benedikt and others. I lived in Germany for a couple of years for work (not military) and had a bit of trouble with some Germans.

Like in Auf Wiedersehen, Pet? 

I'm a Colourcoats Man myself now and will never cast my eyes elsewhere again.

I'm not ready to go that far yet, but I think I'm getting there. I really liked the Azure Blue and how it sprayed.

too many of them have partners who like to knock them around a bit

:(

• Like 1

I salute your brave and continuing struggle in this build, PC! Regarding Byzantion ('Byzantium' is a Latinisation), were it not for my sturdy and courageous Byzantine ancestors (I'm half-Greek), we'd all be speaking Arabic (or Turkish) now. I have seen that series on Byzantion and it is a good history. It is a shame that more people don't know more about this very important civilisation. Forget all the other rubbish you may have read; it was the influx of scholars and artists from the dying Byzantine Empire which in no small part provided the impetus for the Renaissance. I have to say that the original Prokopios' 'Secret History' is not to be taken too literally, as it is basically the work of an aggrieved employee (of the Emperor Justinian, in this case, whose visage appears in mosaic form in a slightly earlier post). Sorry for the history lecture, but Byzantine (and Roman) History are favourites of mine. Then again, if you're following this thread, you should expect the occasional detour from 'mere modelling'.

Regards,

Jason