Tears were once my only way back home (1/72 Eduard Spitfire IXs)

Allowing for the slight 'nose-up' attitude in your frontal shot compared to the actual aircraft in the photo, the match looks pretty good to me PC:

32134733262_bb5b31a8cb_b.jpg

:thumbsup2:

Tony (who would rather spend his lunch-break looking at Spitfires than the emails he's supposed to be catching up on....)

• Like 10

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Allowing for the slight 'nose-up' attitude in your frontal shot compared to the actual aircraft in the photo, the match looks pretty good to me PC

Ah, Tony, I knew I liked you. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, CedB said:

Looks fine to me PC - bother ye not :) 

And you too, of course, Buffers!

8 hours ago, CedB said:

Time to invest in some Berna clamps? They are a wonder of modern science IMHO.

I would, but we're slightly budget-limited this pay period, as Mrs P decided to go to Arizona on short notice with her mother. Chicago is a frozen hellhole right now, so tickets were at premium: nearly $400. (Hence a recent spate of selling stuff to buy my new compressor and light box.) Also, I spent my toy money on some of those super cool chamfering seam scraper thingies, which I ardently hope can also be used like this in a pinch: 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, bbudde said:

Maybe you should buy that toy first to get south (and or for) getting the clamps for a reasonable price:

http://de.webfail.com/f269238f1a3

Oh, Mrs P has a mighty Subaru (which she insists on calling "The Sube") that she can (and has) driven through any weather you can imagine. I once rode with her through a rainstorm that had every other car pulled to the side of the road. No climatological conditions can stop her.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Oh, Mrs P has a mighty Subaru (which she insists on calling "The Sube") that she can (and has) driven through any weather you can imagine. I once rode with her through a rainstorm that had every other car pulled to the side of the road. No climatological conditions can stop her.

The Scooby Doo or  Scooby or Soobie WRX up here - the chosen tool of every Young Farmer in NE Scotland & some city living Yoof who have more money than sense.

Those Berna thingys look interesting, might have to indulge myself.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Harley John said:

The Scooby Doo or  Scooby or Soobie WRX up here - the chosen tool of every Young Farmer in NE Scotland & some city living Yoof who have more money than sense.

Mrs P got hers when she was going to school in Minnesota, where the average annual snowfall is 52 inches -- the average US city gets 26". 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Procopius said:

Oh I know that kind of cruising and she would easily go through Alaska with you without a doubt and any harm for you  or maybe a heart attack, but if you are the driver you'll get a something similar for another reason, I guess

On 1/13/2017 at 1:21 AM, Procopius said:

32278650935_3b5b541f6d_h.jpg20170112_235014 by Edward IX, on Flickr

ml407_banner.jpg

Ehhh. Maybe it isn't too bad? Still bothers me.

The angles are a bit different in the two photos, but essentially on the kit the washout is a bit more pronounced than the real thing. Most kits get this wrong, and it's a complaint by those Modelers wanting more accuracy, so to my eye Eduard exaggerated it to placate them as it is a bit subtle on the real thing. 

• Like 2

Spitfires had more washout than most aircraft. The first photo on this thread shows it quite well:

For anyone not familiar with the term, washout refers to techniques to either bias the span-wise distribution of lift towards the roots (which reduces bending stresses on the wings compared to having the tips doing more work, and reduces the veracity of wingtip vortices and therefore induced drag) and/or to encourage the wing to stall at the roots before the tips, and usually the term "washout" means geometric washout as visible on said photograph - the wing is twisted along its span to set the tips at a lesser angle of attack than the roots. 

It's not unusual to see a couple of degrees of washout on a wing, but ober 3 degrees would be considered quite a lot.

It can be achieved without physical twisting of the wing as an aerodynamic washout instead - that's done by having different aerofoil sections at root and tip with subtly different characteristics to make the wing behave the desired way.

In general you want a wing to stall from the roots and the airflow breakaway outwards so that it doesn't drop a wing suddenly, and by making the inboard portion of the wing do the bulk of the lifting the wing can do its job with less structural weight and also whilst producing weaker vortices at the wings. That's why so many wings were/are tapered or eliptical in planform - to keep the majority of the lifting inboard and to use the outboard portion of the wing as a barrier to prevent the strong lift at the roots from spilling over the tips, as well as somewhere to put ailerons.

• Like 9

Great explanation of washout James :thumbsup:

I don't know if this adds much.... 

Spitfire%20MH434%20low%20pass_zpsei4ndjd

an excuse to repost this clip, Warning,  some (justifiable) swearing in link....

which  is old news, but makes me chuckle every time.

cheers

T

• Like 6

On 13/01/2017 at 6:42 PM, Tony Oliver said:

Can't beat 4 wheel drive when you live in places with rubbbish weather. 

although i'm more of a 4-motion/quattro kinda guy...   

I'm quite happy with our Q5 ...

The clowns round Aberdeen think a Quattro badge is a substitute for winter tyres. The 4x4s are usually the first to reverse off roads at high speed.

The Scandinavians say "winter tyres first, 4 wheel drive second" and as someone who has used both with and without the other, I agree wholeheartedly!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

an excuse to repost this clip, Warning,  some (justifiable) swearing in link....

cheers

T

that is just wonderful.... how can someone fly like that...

Rob

• Like 1

So here we are right now:

32315312575_1282177b8e_h.jpg20170114_213904 by Edward IX, on Flickr

I accidentally left some Barry White playing when I turned out the lights, and now we have three, puttering along. 

In tonight's issue of Poor Design Choices, Eduard Edition, there's a tiny plastic pole connecting two of the frames in the cockpit, with, naturally, a HUGE sprue gate dead in the center of it, ensuring it will never not look like crap. I cut up a pin and used that instead:

32195893411_c1699da676_h.jpg20170114_214959 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Not much progress lately, as we had two house showings today and another one slated for tomorrow. 

• Like 17

As the old Tannoy joke goes "Testes, testes, one, two THREE!!??" 

You're really biting in to the Spitfire stash PC and nice to see...

Use a pin. Great advice. I spent ages fiddling with the silly kit part trying to get the flash off. Top tip!

Thanks for the video clip Troy - saved as a favourite :) 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tony Oliver said:

Or use a bit of stretched sprue? 

I suppose so, but that would require me leaving my grotto and going up to the oven -- you can be intercepted for chores that way.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Procopius said:

I suppose so, but that would require me leaving my grotto and going up to the oven -- you can be intercepted for chores that way.

And you really don't want that to happen

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

cheers

T

Hahaha: