This is the latest of several Albatross that I have been building.  I have two more of this kit on the go. This one has been built straight OOB with just a bit of rigging elastic.  The top wing shape is one of the many well know problems with this ancient kit but I have a lot of Pheon decals of various Jasta Albatross and this kit serves well as a blank canvas for them.  

Edited by Bear Paw
Missed word

With the stupid prices being paid for todays "Super Kits" what you have done shows the need for kits of this standard for those of us who like to build several of certain types to illustrate different colour schemes or variation between marks.  I shudder to think what my 10 strong EE Lightning collection would cost if built from the current Airfix boxings. Sorry about using your posting for this rant, Your D.V is lovely and I look forward to seeing further members of the Jasta.

Well Done,  Trev.

• Like 3

Nice work - I've never done a biplane, as the rigging scares me :o - but I do intend to make Walrus later this year so I better build up my courage :goodjob:

3 minutes ago, vh-bob said:

With the stupid prices being paid for todays "Super Kits" what you have done shows the need for kits of this standard for those of us who like to build several of certain types to illustrate different colour schemes or variation between marks.  I shudder to think what my 10 strong EE Lightning collection would cost if built from the current Airfix boxings. Sorry about using your posting for this rant, Your D.V is lovely and I look forward to seeing further members of the Jasta.

Well Done,  Trev.

Thank you Trev, and you have hit the nail on the head with regard to my approach to modelling at the moment. I don't mind a bit about your rant, and I know what you mean. I love what is happening in the hobby with the new technology and the wonderful kits that are being produced, but (and there is always one of those). Building a series of 1/72 scale kits can show a whole range of the type i.e. Albatross aircraft of the later part of WWI and the dazzling paint schemes of the Jastas.  This is my 5th of the type all in different markings and this little kit if well made looks good straight OOB. (and is very cheap). The Roden one is better but a bit fiddly and therefore longer to make.  

The Pheon decal set I am using is so good and my inspiration for this project.  

Andrew. 

That looks great.  Jasta 18 if I'm not mistaken after Berthold transferred them all out of Jasta 15. I wonder if they felt insulted by that.   I really like German First World War Jasta heraldry so I totally understand what you are dong.  Using a cheap and cheerful kit is the obvious way to show off all those great schemes.  To me the kit definitely looks like a DVa from your pics.  I like the way you have differentiated the red nose between the painted metal and painted wood sections.  Works really well.  How were Pheon's decals?  The sheets look mighty impressive and I have a couple of Pups and Sopwith Triplanes that need markings.  Thank God the RNAS were a bit more creative than the RFC's boring PC10.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

That looks great.  Jasta 18 if I'm not mistaken after Berthold transferred them all out of Jasta 15. I wonder if they felt insulted by that.   I really like German First World War Jasta heraldry so I totally understand what you are dong.  Using a cheap and cheerful kit is the obvious way to show off all those great schemes.  To me the kit definitely looks like a DVa from your pics.  I like the way you have differentiated the red nose between the painted metal and painted wood sections.  Works really well.  How were Pheon's decals?  The sheets look mighty impressive and I have a couple of Pups and Sopwith Triplanes that need markings.  Thank God the RNAS were a bit more creative than the RFC's boring PC10.

Yes Jasta 18, with a scheme that was not intended to be saying anything but come and have a go.  Much more variety as you say than with the British PC10.  

I cannot recommend the Pheon decals highly enough. The research subject and quality of the decals are excellent.  They make 60 year old Airfix kits look good 😊. The kits are a blank canvas and like you say with a bit of selective use of colour they look better.  

I have the SE5a Pheon decal sheet to go at but I would like to complete the 18 DVa's first. ( if I can maintain the momentum.  

Andrew. 

• Like 1

Excellent work on the ancient Airfix kit.   I also like your simple approach to rigging using little eyelets to thread the rigging material through.

Regards

Dave

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Bear Paw said:

Yes Jasta 18, with a scheme that was not intended to be saying anything but come and have a go.  Much more variety as you say than with the British PC10.  

I cannot recommend the Pheon decals highly enough. The research subject and quality of the decals are excellent.  They make 60 year old Airfix kits look good 😊. The kits are a blank canvas and like you say with a bit of selective use of colour they look better.  

I have the SE5a Pheon decal sheet to go at but I would like to complete the 18 DVa's first. ( if I can maintain the momentum.  

Andrew. 

Yes, definitely a 'trailing their coats' scheme.  The SE5a is a good subject for this too because the old Revell kit is dead cheap and holds up pretty well in my opinion.  Not as good as the Roden kit but a lot less fiddly.  Same applies to Revell's Sopwith Triplane.  I'd really like to build 'Maud' and 'Dixie' from 8 Naval. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Epeeman said:

Excellent work on the ancient Airfix kit.   I also like your simple approach to rigging using little eyelets to thread the rigging material through.

Regards

Dave

Thanks Dave, I have started using the eyelets so I can rig the aircraft after everything is is completed on the model.  The main problem is trying to make the eyelets as small as possible.

Andrew.  

21 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

Yes, definitely a 'trailing their coats' scheme.  The SE5a is a good subject for this too because the old Revell kit is dead cheap and holds up pretty well in my opinion.  Not as good as the Roden kit but a lot less fiddly.  Same applies to Revell's Sopwith Triplane.  I'd really like to build 'Maud' and 'Dixie' from 8 Naval. 

I have use the old 1/72 Revell kit and the Roden. The Roden does look better when built but not enough to invest all the extra time in the making when doing multiples.  It is much cheaper too.  :-) 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bear Paw said:

I have use the old 1/72 Revell kit and the Roden. The Roden does look better when built but not enough to invest all the extra time in the making when doing multiples.  It is much cheaper too.  :-) 

My sentiments exactly.  Also Roden's decals are appalling in my opinion.

Edited by Meatbox8
additonal info
  • Like 1

That is a lovely rendition of the venerable old kit. Of course it has its drawbacks (not least the engine and nose which is too short) but who cares when you have markings like these? And who can tell unless they take a really close look with a micrometer?

Those old Revell and Airfix kits are good value for money, quick and easy to build and for some of us take us down memory lane. I will post one of these shortly which I made for a WW1 GB for another site which was just such a trip for me.

1 hour ago, pheonix said:

That is a lovely rendition of the venerable old kit. Of course it has its drawbacks (not least the engine and nose which is too short) but who cares when you have markings like these? And who can tell unless they take a really close look with a micrometer?

Those old Revell and Airfix kits are good value for money, quick and easy to build and for some of us take us down memory lane. I will post one of these shortly which I made for a WW1 GB for another site which was just such a trip for me.

Thanks Pheonix, we are probably of a similar age. This kit and others like it is what I started this hobby with. They bring back great memories and it so good to try and do them justice now.  

I would like to see your  DVa when you post it. 

Andrew 

26 minutes ago, Viking said:

It shows that those vintage Airfix kits can still be worth building!

Cheers

John

Thanks John, and yes I agree these old kits are worth the effort.  I am now looking for the 1960's Airfix 1/72 Roland C11 to make having made it over 40 years ago. It would be nice if Airfix could dig out the old mould and give it another run.  Fat chance I think.  

Andrew.  

• 2 years later...

Beautiful job on this kit. Well done!

I have built one a few years ago (posted sometime in this last year) and it was a fun build which I complicated by using an Airwaves etched set!

Lovely collection there too!

Miguel