Valiant B(PR)K1 WZ397

Andy341

Here Goes.  I know out there will be someone with the appropriate knowledge in respect of the Valiant B(PR)K1.  I am aiming to do WZ397 as depicted in the following picture (taken in September 1964) which clearly shows a side oblique camera.  My question is have Airfix missed this out of their additional kit? In the kit there are 9 appertures that are offset from the centre line and a further on on the centre line at the rear of the bomb bay - but nothing on the side.  This leads on to the next question does anyone know the dimensions of the port and would the cameras and optically flat windows no have a sliding cover, so no debris interfered with the photography?

0B86E976-FF51-4D5E-945E-31435A819582-195

I don't know much about the Valiant camera fit, but '397 wasn't the only one to have the oblique cameras, there was also one fitted in the same position on the stb'd side.

diagrams of the camera fit here, http://www.airrecce.co.uk/postww2/ac/Valiant/Valiant.html

Edited by 71chally
Added link

John, thanks for your highly informative link, which is extremely useful.  With this in mind, is my assumption correct that Airfix have mistakenly omitted the oblique camera windows.  The only two photos I have seen are WZ392 and WZ397 with the oblique windows either in the open position.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Andy341 said:

John, thanks for your highly informative link, which is extremely useful.  With this in mind, is my assumption correct that Airfix have mistakenly omitted the oblique camera windows.  The only two photos I have seen are WZ392 and WZ397 with the oblique windows either in the open position.

No problems Andy, I would assume that Airfix did miss the window, one of those compromises that have to be done I guess, or perhaps they just plain missed it!

John 

Hello Andy,

I built WZ397 when Airfix released their Valiant. I didn't buy those extra parts as the kit provided the camera windows also. I noticed (from photos) that the bomb bay doors are wrong in this "supplement"; they are too long as Valiant had a vertical camera (F28 if my memory serves me) behind the Camera Crate. So the doors were shorter.

Those small oblique camera windows were for F95s as they were used to orientate the photos taken with those fanned cameras in the crate.

Best Regards,

Antti

• Like 1

Antti_K,  you know what, every day is a school day!  It's information like this that makes this site so useful.  

Canberra Kid, thanks for you extremely valuable input.  I now feel that I can approach the building of WZ397 with a greater degree of certainty.

Many thanks

Andy

• Like 2