HMS Victory deck planking

Hi guys

I have started the Airfix 1/180 Victory, I have removed the raised moulded plank lines from the decks and intend to represent them with paint but not sure how wide or long the planks should be.

Does anyone know the dimensions of these planks? I am not wanting to be 100% accurate, but do want to give a reasonable representation of how they would look.

Thanks

PR

Best guess would be 10 - 12 " wide  equal to 1.4/1.7mm wide ................ you're are going to go daft /  blind or both :winkgrin:

Length anything between 18 and 30' equal to 30 / 50mm

If I may make a suggestion

Get hold of some 1.5mm masking tape

Paint the deck 'wood' colour and lay some tape planks paint a 'shade of wood colour'

Lay more tape planks paint a shade.............. you get the picture.

If you want to be accurate check out 'planking butt shift' on google to get the pattern

Hope this helps

Kev

Thank you Kev, just what I was after. Appreciate the information.

Yes, exactly what I had in mind. I am thinking of covering a prepainted deck with strips of masking tape planks, then lifting batches to subtly vary the colours, finishing off with a ruler and lead pencil for the packing between planks, with maybe a wash over all to blend and tone down. That's the theory.... :)

The Victory keeps calling me, along wth a CLK-GTR Merc, several AFVs and a cupboard of Spitfires. Think I need to clone myself! However, this will give me a start. I have the book on detailing the Airfix Victory; just need to translate it into words I understand (!) because I think there is work I need to do on the decks before I start planking, er, painting.

Thanks again for your help,

PR

PS - not blind yet, but the daft bit fits! :blink:

Edited by Peter Roberts
  • Like 1

Hi Peter,

Glad I could help

You've probably seen it but the following WIP will be a great help

Different scale but..............

2 hours ago, Peter Roberts said:

just need to translate it into words I understand

Is it the rigging terms you're struggling with?

Kev

Thanks for the link Kev. I did see that build but it looks to have progressed a fair bit so I will revisit it. Amazing work, and great inspiration. Some really good reference. I think I had started collecting pics and details from this build, but my laptop chucked a wobbly and I lost a lot of stored info.

Re: words. ALL of them I'm afraid. :( I'm not very nautical but Google helps. There may be more posts here as I progress, along the lines of 'What is a .....?' but I suspect progress is going to be slow with thus build.

PR

As you say life before Google was so...............

Not sure how far you want to go but

if you feel the need/desire to understand the rigging I would suggest

Rigging Period Ship Models by Lennarth Petersson

Starts with the standing rigging and follows on with the running rigging using clear and simple line drawiings

Kev

Thanks for the tip Kev. I'll chase that one up.

I do want to do a fair bit of rigging - that's one of the main attractions for me to these models, but I admit my ignorance when it comes to this.

That book sounds just the ticket!

Thank you

PR

• Like 1