P-38 Quick WIP

rob85

so, as i have said above i have weathered with pastels and also done fuel stains on caps with a citadel wash, i have also added a wash to the wheels and odd panel to vary the tone again. here she is...

32116446931_fa37748b45_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

close up of the front.

32116798441_1b2a1a3cc2_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

and of itsy bitsy II with, ummm the hand....

31424904863_0cdf092fa6_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

paint work is not excellent is it... hmmmm

31393845524_c3a4357c30_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

and the fuel weathering.

so just need to finish the rockets and buy white paint! oh and put the pointy bits on!

Cheers All

Rob

• Like 8

1 hour ago, rob85 said:

paint work is not excellent is it... hmmmm

Paint looks good to me Rob - what don't you like?

When you get that masking off it will make all the difference :) 

• Like 1

Well ced, there are some areas where the paint was applied too thickly and missed by myself so it's not as smooth as I would have liked, also the demarcation between the black and silver is not as crisp as I would normally have it.... that said I am happy with it!!

Rob

• Like 1

Looks fine to me :)

I know how you feel though... I think I'm going to do the current build with the hairy brush and I must try to summon some patience, use thin coats (ugh) and mask the lines I want to be straight. Sometime though I just want to get it on a done!

• Like 1

Looks really good. Quick too and with a hairy stick, it must be quite liberating. I can't even think about hairy sticking a model now. I'm in too deep. Save yourselves!!!!   :fool: Seriously though it's great to see a kit being put together and painted dare I say it "old school" and you're doing it proud to boot.

Bravo sir.

Johnny.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Looks really good. Quick too and with a hairy stick, it must be quite liberating. I can't even think about hairy sticking a model now. I'm in too deep. Save yourselves!!!!   :fool: Seriously though it's great to see a kit being put together and painted dare I say it "old school" and you're doing it proud to boot.

Bravo sir.

Johnny.

Cheers johnny, I don't own and have never really used an airbrush so don't know the difference to be fair. I just enjoy painting with a brush and finding ways of making it work for me, therapeutic I suppose :)

Cheers for for the kind comments

Rob

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rob85 said:

Cheers johnny, I don't own and have never really used an airbrush so don't know the difference to be fair. I just enjoy painting with a brush and finding ways of making it work for me, therapeutic I suppose :)

Cheers for for the kind comments

Rob

I agree it is very therapeutic. I bought an airbrush mid last year and I am finding it hard to go back, I'm learning new ways to use it all the time but there is a process, as with everything I guess.

I do however love the times where there is no choice but to brush.

keep up the great work.

John.

• Like 1

Way to go, Rob! This is a Man on a Mission...

Let's face it, you could spend 3days trying to get yer spray gun and paint organised!

This looks brilliant.

But you had those gorgeous yellow ringed stars, so rare! How could you resist em?🌟 

• Like 1

Rob, that was quick! :frantic: 1/72, brush painted NMF, quick build: I say it's good. You could have probably brush painted the black in thinner coats, but she looks perfectly fine at the right distance :clap: Don't forget the camera macro effect is quite unrealistic.

:goodjob:

Ciao

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, giemme said:

Rob, that was quick! :frantic: 1/72, brush painted NMF, quick build: I say it's good. You could have probably brush painted the black in thinner coats, but she looks perfectly fine at the right distance :clap: Don't forget the camera macro effect is quite unrealistic.

:goodjob:

Ciao

Thanks giemme, you are of course right about the black, it actually an old pot of HU 33 as my other pots have ran out... it's not the best condition even when thinned it grainy.... also the surface could have been prepared better! 

Rob, I won't lie it was a tough decision as I really like all three! But the art work swung it. I still have the spare bits and transfers as I would love to do "Texas Terror" one day!

Rob

• Like 2

You are fast becoming an expert on brush painting silver/NMF Rob - it's quite stunning.

I didn't know there was an Itsy Bitsy II - I built Laven's Itsy Bitsy I (Itsy Bitsy Sr?), a P-38E, in the STGB. Between the two of us, we have the set! I wonder if there was an Itsy Bitsy III?

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

You are fast becoming an expert on brush painting silver/NMF Rob - it's quite stunning.

I didn't know there was an Itsy Bitsy II - I built Laven's Itsy Bitsy I (Itsy Bitsy Sr?), a P-38E, in the STGB. Between the two of us, we have the set! I wonder if there was an Itsy Bitsy III?

Cheers cookie, very kind of you! 

I remeber this this build and the trouble you had with it! But loved what you did it was actually one of the reasons I have wanted to build a p-38. Didn't know I was building its replacement though!! How funny! Let's not do a comparison though eh! Yours would win....

Stix I know your lurking there in the back ground (hadn't actually seen your post.... not really in the background), it your fault I have started the airfix mustang..... no bad thing really

Rob

Edited by rob85
Due to stupidity
  • Like 2

So I have my white paint, tamiya flat white, and got two coats down. It's over black but went on surprisingly well! Leaving it to dry properly and then give it one last thin coat and glue the rockets on and were done...

i think someone meantiond about the metal citadel paints being a layer and maybe this is why the don't cling so well at the start. Had a chat with my local games work shop and he thinks I bought airbrush paint for one which is why I can't cut it with water and that I would be better off using a black or grey acrylic base or the "ironbelcher" base which is a dark metal followed by the lighter shades to give a) more contrast and b ) better coverage and cling when I use the layer paints.... I have to say he was painting some figures at the time and his work is awesome, he showed me how he did washes and some weather as well, so he appears to know his stuff 

also they have a new wash that has a glossy finish so it mimics used leather, something that may be if interest, leather on seating or flight jackets (ced :) )

Rob

Edited by rob85
  • Like 2