P-38 Quick WIP

rob85

Hi All,

I have a number of WIPs that I should really be getting on with... but i am not in the right place for that, but i do have a bit more spare time and wanted to build something, something that will hopefully be trouble free!

SO after a short vote this won, the Haseagawa 1/72 P-38 Lightning. and here are some pic's of the box and content.

31322847184_e470cb6051_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

31789401690_4ea2100f48_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

31322847874_f5f0e9ea93_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

32015873092_7d8db3d315_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

raised panel lines and no interior detail including the wheel wells, but thats no problem... its supposed to be quick!

these are the options that are provided

32164243645_c0b36e2d78_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

I will be doing the last one 'itsy bitsy', and here are some refence shots for you to delight in.

32015859972_5417a8f824_b.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

32046071821_06c457e569_b.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

Weather its correct or not I don't know but I will be doing this with underwing tanks and rockets... because its COOL of course!!

so far so good...the kit fits together nicely, which i have always found with old Hase kits like the corsair and Tbolt i built at the start of the year, the plastic is hard and well moulded nice a crisp! so first up CP painted and some nose weight added.

31322833014_f3faf3e3c1_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

then she got closed up.

32046066371_2a8ec7e05e_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

then it was on with the canopy, booms, landing gear and nose. 

31322828534_bbebff6ab8_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

for  Ced.... whats one of these?

31789385780_b52b4e573f_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

a dead one of these! :) ..... as you can see the nose weight was not enough so more was added to the engine necklaces and all the seams were sanded and then micromeshed.

32015852392_90de2196c1_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

32164242875_4b21f06f9a_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

grills on and canopy masked

31322832294_93399834d2_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

and finally here she is with two thin coats of citidal paints on and the black of the engine necklaces and nose painted with HU 33

32015855392_0f5355f7eb_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

if only I had had this pace in the MTO GB!!

Hope you like it hope to finish this by wednesday!!

Rob

• Like 12

Flippin' 'eck Rob, you're not hanging around are you?

Are you hand brushing those Citadel paints? Are they as good as they look? Good for HSS do you think?

Like the 'dead shot' :D 

• Like 1

That's a real oldie and goldie that you've got here! Haven't seen one of them since the time that silly meteorite wiped out the dinosaurs...

These old Hasegawa kits scrub up real good, so I am expecting a beautifully NMF painted P-38.

And the decals don't look too bad either.

JR

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, jean said:

That's a real oldie and goldie that you've got here! Haven't seen one of them since the time that silly meteorite wiped out the dinosaurs...

These old Hasegawa kits scrub up real good, so I am expecting a beautifully NMF painted P-38.

And the decals don't look too bad either.

JR

Considering the discolouration of the box JR I wasn't holding out for much! But they appear in good nick.... the proof is in the pudding 

Ced yes all brush painted as per, they go on nicely however I don't think them I almost dry brush small amounts on as they tend not to stick for me if cut with water (like my normal tamiya paints) I will give it all a good going over with micromesh after the third coat has fully hardened. 

Yes it looks bob on for HSS if honest, it's lovely paint, I think this is rungfan steel? I use a couple of shades of this stuff to get a varied NMF same as my b-25.... all ideas stolen for PlaStix of course, not my own

Rob

• Like 4

Regarding the pellets you've used for nose weights. If it were me, I'd hammer them down to flat discs/lumps so they would still have the same weight but take up less space. That way more could be put into the same space.

Chris

• Like 4

15 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Regarding the pellets you've used for nose weights. If it were me, I'd hammer them down to flat discs/lumps so they would still have the same weight but take up less space. That way more could be put into the same space.

Chris

Yes, you are right. And it's never too late to hammer them flat!

Come on Rob, listen to Chris and go grab your hammer! I cannot wait for the photos.

JR

• Like 1

Right more progress. She has had another few coats followed by a micromesh and her ta ks fitted

32180767505_ce829aded5_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

32143780036_9d539cff09_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

Then she got a few extra shades put on different panels to bring it to life a bit, I will do a little more weathering once the transfers are on

32153992646_cc21ce1c34_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

And added the tail markings

32044218652_5161cb2fb9_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

She has her gloss coat drying and hopefully transfers will be sorted tomorrow!

Rob

• Like 12

14 minutes ago, CedB said:

Very nice Rob - your modelling has come on in leaps and bounds, great work :) 

That means a lot, cheers! Not bad for two days work, it needs some touch ups but it's good fun.... better than trying to put the little lumps on the cowls of a Boston, whose stupid idea was it to have the separate so you could do different types! Take a leaf out of the eduard hellcats book and just include an entire cowl for the different types!... sorry not sure where that came from

see you in the morning.

Rob

• Like 2

Rob..

OH WOW..:heart:

what a beauty.:Tasty:

sure looks IMPRESSIVE from here. :clap2:

VERY RESPLENDENT  P-38 ... :yikes:

you took TWO  days... well I am stunned.. it has turned out beautifully. 

You build SUPER  models Rob.

KUDOS.:worthy::worthy:

{ I DO LIKE it but no LIKES thingys left ... will amend it tomorrow   :rolleyes:  }.

• Like 2

Great silver finish - looks like Revell silver has a competitor! I use Leadbelcher all the time for gunmetal, but Runefang Steel doesn't cover as well - I wonder if it's to do with base vs layer formulations, base being intended as a solid coat.

we all need a quick build from time to time to blow the cobwebs out. It's looking good!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

Very impressive Rob. Really fast progress. I would still be looking at the instructions. :hmmm:

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Great silver finish - looks like Revell silver has a competitor! I use Leadbelcher all the time for gunmetal, but Runefang Steel doesn't cover as well - I wonder if it's to do with base vs layer formulations, base being intended as a solid coat.

we all need a quick build from time to time to blow the cobwebs out. It's looking good!

Regards,

Adrian

That is a very good point, probably why it doesn't like being cut as it won't grip anything then, however it works well over black it would appear... hmmm something to look at

Cheers for the comments all

Rob

• Like 1