This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

AndyRM101

K-2SO Security Droid

37 posts in this topic

A little more progress has happened on K2. I still wasn't absolutely sure about the metallic base coat I'd used for the chipping. I was going to tone it down with a coat of matt varnish but after a bit of thought I decided to mist some pale grey over the Alclad which left a nice mattish grey silver. It doesn't actually matter that much as the chips are going to be pretty small, and the subsequent dirt and grime will tone them down anyway

31412843844_ac7bd5aa9c_b.jpg

The shot above includes the front and back hip/groin parts, which I'd have preferred to attach to the waist section before painting, but the waist has a couple of tiny grill panels that need to be painted in a polished finish first then masked off. The torso also has a bit of polished trim around the neck, so that and the waist have been sprayed with the AK polished aluminium I used for the mouth parts

32134928751_7e3a2e4641_b.jpg

I'll mask off the grills on the waist, then matt down the finish with another grey overspray. I was intending to do the same thing for the rim around the neck, but after a few failed attempts to cut a ring of masking tape with a compass cutter, I'll do it a different way. The rim is less the a mm thick and the tape kept breaking up as I tried to cut it, but I did end up with the left over inner and outer rings of tape, so I'll do the main painting on the torso then use them to mask and spray the polished rim at the end.

I'd ordered a jar of Gunze Aqueous H32 Field Grey 1 (Panzer Grey to you and me) for the main finish, as I thought it would be just about the right tone. What I didn't realise until it came is that it's a gloss finish and a little on the transparent side. It was also slightly lighter than I was expecting, so I mixed a drop of Tamiya flat black into it, which lessened the glossiness and darkened it at the same time.

After a coat of hairspray I gave the head and hip parts a coat of the darkened grey then, after drying for about 10 minutes, I wet the surface and started chipping the paint.

To begin with I used a cocktail stick that I'd sharpened to a chisel edge, but the wood started to soften from the water which was making the chips larger than I wanted, so I switched to using the point of a knife blade. Obviously you have to be pretty careful doing it that way as even a tiny amount of pressure with the blade will scratch the paint down to the plastic, but if you let the weight of the blade skip across the surface, you'll end up with tiny chips

31878162780_861319804d_b.jpg

I did start off trying to match the chips and scratches to the photo reference of K2, but in the end I just went with the general look of the original. I'm reasonably happy with how the head's come out. The chips are a bit too big, but in this scale it's hard to keep them small enough. The eyes had the holes in the back painted white which goes some way to replicating the look of the real ones

31878157100_e31d5c7dc0_b.jpg

32134921591_c2cfe2b2af_b.jpg

Next job is to paint and chip his torso, then I'll have to build up the arms and legs, and decide what pose I want him in, as I'll probably have to glue the limbs in position.

Andy

Edited by AndyRM101
11 people like this

Looking really good so far Andy. Hairspray chipping does seem to be a very versatile technique

1 person likes this

Looks good Andy - I wouldn't worry about the scale of the chips, they look fine to me :)  I'm wondering if some little punched discs of silver foil pasted into the centres of the eyes might do a slightly better job of reflecting the light and giving the impression of those movable "eyeballs" that gave him extra character.

1 person likes this

So, this is you winging it again with no plan.....Outstanding work!

1 person likes this

On ‎08‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 10:52 AM, BIG X said:

I do like the decal / sticker option - great for the kids.

They also work well as pre-cut masks.

2 people like this

5 hours ago, Blastvader said:

They also work well as pre-cut masks.

That's damn clever!

2 people like this

With K2SO being so tall he's sure to have more scratches and chips on his noggin. Looking great !

1 person likes this

The chips on the head look fine Andy, as for the rest, well I think most comments so far sum it up!

On a side note I have managed to get 2 0.15mm enamelled wires down the leg and through the knee joint, there is a little trick in getting it through the knee involving making a notch in the clear centre.

2 people like this

Just catching up on this thread. K2's head looks superb! The scratches look very realistic, and definitely not too big to me. Outstanding stuff.