K-2SO Security Droid

3 hours ago, Portaler said:

The base is also looking the goods. Not so sure what actually was done in the explanation. Did you actually "paint the dirt" in some places ?

Sorry, poor explanation on my part. No, all the texturing on the base was done with a Vallejo texture paste and fine sand. That was then painted with Tamiya buff, followed by some washes to bring out the texture.

3 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Yup.....A GB that sci-fi & dinosaur modellers (of which we have so many) can actually join in!  ;)

That sounds like a spiffing idea Sarge. I'll add my name to the list.

Andy

• Like 2

Thanks Matt. I'll take a proper photo of all the droids I've done together when K2 is finished.

I've added the same weathering to the legs and arms that I'd already done for the head/torso, that being the sponged on Nuln oil wash. While I was at it, I did the same with some of the other Citadel wash colours, mainly Drakenhof Nightshade (dark blue), Agrax Earthshade (dark brown) and Seraphim Sepia (err... sepia, amazingly). I've also added some stains and dribbles here and there with AMMO streaking grime.

The decals (all two of them) are now on. Fortunately these ones were well printed and didn't have the pixely pattern that so many Bandai decals have. Before I applied them I scratched a few chips into them with a knife blade, and also added some extra chips with grey paint one they were on.

The remaining bits of detail painting on the arms are done so, apart from a few more random washes and some dusty pigments on his feet, I think we're getting towards the end. I should get all that done tonight, then see how he looks tomorrow in daylight.

31789961694_80a939acbe_b.jpg

31789959064_a17ba96d35_b.jpg

32632985895_ee558bbcf8_b.jpg

32632981055_69f704352f_b.jpg

Andy

• Like 22

Yes looking awesome ! Is that brown dribble on the front flat panel the Ammo streaking grime ? Gotta get me some of that !

Andy, noticed the neck was a bit clean. Maybe a good excuse to get some of that streaking grime in there :-)

Edited by Portaler
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Portaler said:

Yes looking awesome ! Is that brown dribble on the front flat panel the Ammo streaking grime ? Gotta get me some of that !

Andy, noticed the neck was a bit clean. Maybe a good excuse to get some of that streaking grime in there :-)

Yes, the dribble is AMMO streaking grime. Good for oily residue like that, and you're right, the neck looks a bit clean. It's had the same washes as the rest, but they don't show up as much, so I'll probably add some more

Andy

After doing a little more weathering last night, I've had a fresh look at him this morning and I'm going to call him done. If I add any more dirt layers they'll start to cover what's already there, and it's hard to see them anyway. As it stands there's enough going on to bring some life to him without being over the top.

The main thing I've added is some dusting around the feet. This was done with some AMMO dry steppe mud wash mixed with a bit of sand coloured pigment and stippled around the feet and lower legs. I then gave the area a light over-spray with Tamiya buff to soften the effect

32521437081_6099350a0b_b.jpg

To keep Portaler happy, the neck's also had a bit more weathering :wink:

So, that's the first build done for 2017. I'll get the final shots up in RFI shortly. Thanks to everyone for following along.

P.S. just ordered another 3P0, who'll be getting the stripping treatment, but in the mean time I should have the TIE Striker turning up soon which will be the next build.

Andy

• Like 13

2 hours ago, Portaler said:

U-Wing kit ?? Not from Bandai I guess ? I'm hoping they release a 1/72 to go with the Striker and all the others.

As Yeoman mentioned, it's 1/144 in a pack with the TIE Striker (and a couple of Imperial tanks)

sw144_u_wing_tiestriker_01_m_2048x2048.j

Andy

1/144 is too small for me, I'll also be waiting on a 1/72 U-Wing too.

But almost more interesting would be a 1/72 Imperial Tank. Now that would be one for Andy. A Star Wars tank !

On 2/1/2017 at 11:55 PM, AndyRM101 said:

As Yeoman mentioned, it's 1/144 in a pack with the TIE Striker (and a couple of Imperial tanks)

sw144_u_wing_tiestriker_01_m_2048x2048.j

Andy

Edited by Portaler
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 14/01/2017 at 4:36 PM, Madmonk said:

The chips on the head look fine Andy, as for the rest, well I think most comments so far sum it up!

On a side note I have managed to get 2 0.15mm enamelled wires down the leg and through the knee joint, there is a little trick in getting it through the knee involving making a notch in the clear centre.

Will there be a lighting kit for this model, or can the C-3PO kit be adapted?

• Like 1

The C3PO kit uses warm white LEDs and K2SO will be cool white.  just need to sort out the photos for the instructions, should be available in a couple of weeks.

• Like 2

This is an incredible build, and it has inspired me to buy my first sci-if kit (K-2SO of course!). Thanks very much Andy, I've really enjoyed reading this build, and also your AT-AT and AT-ST.

Do you have any tips for your "hairspray" technique? As a car modeller, I haven't heard of that before.

cheers,

Kev.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, injidup said:

Do you have any tips for your "hairspray" technique? As a car modeller, I haven't heard of that before.

Thanks Kev,

The hairspray technique isn't hard, but there are various factors that can affect the outcome, so it's a good idea to practice a few times before doing it on the final piece. In essence, the hairspray (HS) is acting as a soluble mask between the base coat and the top coat of paint. You paint the piece with the base colour that you want to show through, allow that to dry then add a couple of coats of HS. Once that's dry you add the final top coat of paint. When the top coat is touch dry, wet the surface with water, then start to rub the paint with a course brush. The water will be absorbed through the top layer of paint and start the dissolve the HS, which will then start to lift, bringing the top coat of paint with it.

The amount of HS you add, the length of time you let it dry before adding the top coat of paint, and how thick that layer of paint is will all affect the outcome, so it's worth experimenting a bit. I usually spray the HS into a jar, then transfer it to my airbrush, rather than spraying it strait from the can.

As an alternative to HS, you can get ready made chipping fluids that work in exactly the same way from various manufacturers. I'd recommend the AMMO one if you're looking to pick one up. There's a demo video of it here

Andy

• Like 1