Airfix's Reboxed 1/72 P-51

John

they're miles easier to paint that's for sure !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! as long as you dont pick an Aluminium version by mistake

this is your link, ebay rules :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=pdid+raaf&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xp51d+raaf.TRS0&_nkw=p51d+raaf&_sacat=0

Edited by MalX

9 hours ago, Admiral Puff said:

Could I ask that someone - ANYONE! - give us a kit with RAAF markings as an option, please? We did use one or two, both here and in the desert and Korea, and we made 200 as well. There's also a rather good reference book around ...

There's nothing wrong with the new Airfix kit that a modicum of modelling experience can't cure. I have several awaiting attention, all to be in RAAF markings. I will be picking up some of those RES-IM tailplanes; thanks, TempestMk5!

Good morning Admiral Puff

You're welcome I discovered the RES IM Tail planes after trying to scribe the Airfix ones on the first kit I bought when the kit was released and I recommend them as well as the Quickboost resin seats (but one can use also the Pavla one or True Details if you find them for a fair price  .).

Patrice

Edited by TEMPESTMK5

On 1/8/2017 at 1:05 PM, 72modeler said:

Well said, Sir!

Indeed.

I may have used this observation before but it seems worth suggesting that the reason the Hyperscale site is so agitated is because the stakes are so low.

I am uncertain about the nature of that site. Are they into model kits or is possession of the narrative high ground the real goal?

Michael

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Michael Enright said:

Indeed.

I may have used this observation before but it seems worth suggesting that the reason the Hyperscale site is so agitated is because the stakes are so low.

I am uncertain about the nature of that site. Are they into model kits or is possession of the narrative high ground the real goal?

Michael

The answer to that is "Yes" ...

• Like 2

The preceding tooling included the Aeroproducts prop, but you are probably aware of this. Also, its boxings up to at least 1979 , probably all before the Aces one,  had decals for an RAAF squadron included,  and I have a feeling that a slightly different version of the markings reappeared in the "Swedish" boxing.

2 hours ago, tempestfan said:

The preceding tooling included the Aeroproducts prop, but you are probably aware of this. Also, its boxings up to at least 1979 , probably all before the Aces one,  had decals for an RAAF squadron included,  and I have a feeling that a slightly different version of the markings reappeared in the "Swedish" boxing.

Yeah, but scouring ebay and trade shows just to get props is a bit of a chore!

9 minutes ago, Winnie said:

Are we sure it's Cartograf? they usually have "Printed by Cartograf" in one of the corners?

Yes, the Cartograf logo is on the back of the box, alongside the colour scheme instructions.

Mark.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

That was a totally different kit though. Airfix has done the P-51D three times in 1/72.

As with the Lancaster.

...and with the Spit I, if you are generous and consider her (edit: BT-K) as a Mk I. That's why I wrote "preceding " and not "original ,as the original barely looked like a Mustang. Though a bit more so than Revell's "interpretation ".

The intermediate tooling used to be around aplenty, I 'd expect them to be cheap as chips. 

Edited by tempestfan

• 4 weeks later...
On 2017-01-09 at 0:30 AM, Mikemx said:

I would suggest the biggest 'inaccuracy' on this one is the colour Airfix suggest for the Blue. French Blue is fine for the earlier Blue on the P-51B/C but it's too light for the D's, especially by the time they had the coloured rudders. I'm using this kit to make Moonbeam McSwine so I've been doing some googling, as well as noting the info on the Superscale decal sheet and there is info out there to suggest the Dark Blue on the D models was RAF Deep Sky, so I got myself the Vallejo Deep Sky colour and that works fine for me. The main problems with the plastic parts for me is the bendy wobbly landing gear, the way the bubble canopy fits on and the thick sprue gates, I snapped the control column and ariel mast trying to snip them off the sprue.

thanks

Mike

So what is the best Humbrol or Tamiya colour for the 352nd fighter group?

/André

5 hours ago, Andre B said:

So what is the best Humbrol or Tamiya colour for the 352nd fighter group?

/André

I don't know as I don't use either. I use Vallejo Model Colour Prussia Blue for the B/C models and Vallejo Model Air RAF Deep Sky on the D's. Check the online paint conversion chart for Humbrol/Tamiya equivalents.

thanks

Mike

• Like 1

I am glad that Airfix made the choise to rebox their fine P-51D Mustang with new decals. They have an history of colourfull Mustangs and they are now continuing their way by reboxing their P-51D with another aircraft from 8th Air Force, 351 fighter group with 414207, PE-E Rose Marie / the Kelly Kid 2 from 328th fighter Squadron.

Earlyer (the 1974 tool/moulds) they have made two other bluenosed Mustangs. 414906. PE-P Cripes Al Mighty from 328th Fighter Squadron and 414101, HO-M Petie 2nd from 487th Fighter Squadron (the same aircraft that Tamiya and Hasegawa also made decals for). Airfix also made an reboxing with markings from the "greennosed" 359th Fighter Group, 414773, CS-L Daddys Girl from 370th Fighter Squadron (Revell also made an P-51D from 359th Fighter Group, 414762, CV-D Cookie from 368 Fighter Squadron).

And with their first tool from 1958 they also made (together with MPC) a lot of colourfull Mustangs from 8th Air force...

/André

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, PhantomBigStu said:

So my LHS finally got this in stock today, now what do I need to do to the humbrol 14 to make it more accurate? 

Use a totally different colour. It's about right for P-51B/C's but not for the D's, it's needs to be a lot darker. The kit decals represent the aircraft in Dec 1944, you want RAF Deep Sky for that. See my post a few posts up.

thanks

Mike

Can't seem to find Vallejo Deep Sky, though least now I have federal standard reference, not that it seems to help. Will have to a mix of some kind from one of the humbrol or revell blues...

edit: just remember I've alrady mixed deep sky up for a previous mustang, got to rememebr wht I mixed in with the revell 56

Edited by PhantomBigStu

20 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Can't seem to find Vallejo Deep Sky, though least now I have federal standard reference, not that it seems to help. Will have to a mix of some kind from one of the humbrol or revell blues...

edit: just remember I've alrady mixed deep sky up for a previous mustang, better see if I made any notes 

The product code is 71090 and it's Model Air. If you want regular acrylic try Vallejo's Dark Prussia Blue, that's similar - 70899.

thanks

Mike

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Mikemx said:

The product code is 71090 and it's Model Air. If you want regular acrylic try Vallejo's Dark Prussia Blue, that's similar - 70899.

thanks

Mike

Thanks, though seems they match a different FS number to deep sky. Humbrol 15 is quoted as sub for Vallejo 90, maybe a lightned version of 15 would also do the trick as looks like my mix for it is too light