Spitfire F.Mk.XIVe - AZ model 1/72

CedB

@TonyTiger66 very kindly sent me this kit for Christmas and now it's time to bash it into submission. I say that not through lack of respect for Tony or the kit but because Bill Navy Bird built one back in June '16 and a beautiful model it was. I'll be building mine OOB with the excuse that it lets kit bashers like me see what can be done with lesser skills.

142788-11439-pristine.jpg

Bill has box and sprue shots in his thread so I'm going straight into the build. Except... what about the 'over-painted' roundels? There's lots of discussion on this in Bill's thread but a bit of research on the serial shows that:

RN135    XIV        KEA    G65    6MU 8-1-45 222MU 5-2-45 Empire Paragon 12-2-45 India 12-4-45 17S Japan 28-9-46 SOC 24-3-48

so it looks as though RN135 was shipped on 'Empire Paragon' in February '45 to India and arrived with 17 Sqn in April. I'm using that as an excuse to follow the box scheme without the over-paint (YBoA in the DG and grey scheme) and because I'm lazy.

• Like 14

I've nabbed a seat in the second row (no-one wants to sit in the front row, do they?).

I like the 'only for experienced modellers or colectors' bit on the front (although that's not how I would spell 'collectors', although I'm more of a collector than a modeller).

• Like 3

Pop!

:popcorn:

Late as usual. I'll have to jump up and down at the back to see over the heads of the people down the front.

Nice looking box there, Ced :). Did it contain the resin parts (unlike Navy Bird's)?

Cheers,

Alex. :sheep: <-- likes Spitfires too

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Oh rats, only seats in the front left. I'll just slink down in me seat & hope he doesn't ask for a volunteer for anything...

K

Hello, as I'm a kind person, you may get mine, if I change up to this:

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/muppet/images/3/3d/TMS-Statler%26Waldorf-BalconyBox.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20110325180958

• Like 3

Welcome everyone and apologies for the delay - Mrs B has gone down with the lurgy so I'm looking after her. Hopefully better soon :)

Alex I looked up 'PUR' and Wikipedia says its Polyurethane - I have lots of those bits, including some extra flash bits that will need attention. Hopefully later.

• Like 3

Hello Ced, if it's bad cold, I normally use this. It's horrible to inhale with hot water, but it helps mostly to get me up after 2-3 days. ( As always 2 days to get knocked out - 3 days misery - 5 days to recover again and never you'll/ can shorten that)  With a flu it lasts longer, but  either and you will have to watch more closer or call the doc.

4305615204192_E_1_4.jpg

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 2

This kit has my favorite boxart of all time.

You're bound to make a great model of it Ced, you even have Navy Bird's blessing (hi Bill!).

I managed it last year here . So, it is possible for us mortals. Although I had the advantage of finishing it before Navy Bird built his, and therefore missed all kinds of details with a clear conscience. 

• Like 4

Thanks Simon and Benedikt for the kind words and advice - she's out of bed now and in need of company so just a quick post...

Welcome Bill (uh oh, he's watching :) ) and Cookie - you're obviously trying to make a modeller out of me (or perhaps a colector [sic]). Gnaaa gneeer... I'll ponder.

I have chopped some bits off, identified the correct fuselage (the loose one in the box) and had a quick furtle. Flashy.

32018229112_0cf70fa948_z.jpg

Milliput of shaving these?

32166769435_a7ab5c3d7b_z.jpg

I think the molds were getting a bit old:

32048452771_844ef2da0a_z.jpg

Don't worry, there is another one. Nicely detailed i/p but horrid molding around the back:

31791912540_d80bd298b4_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

I think I'll dry fit that and sand it before I do anything serious.

More tomorrow. Mrs B is waiting to be cosseted...

• Like 13

Hi Ced,

mind if I join the party before real surgery starts? I swear my mobile phone is off (I have the dubious honor to have been the only sod to attend Christmas Carrols at the Albert Hall with my cellphone NOT switched off. Guess what happened at the quietest part of the program... You can't be cold with 10 000 eyeballs staring at you.)

I have never built an AZ model kit, but the look of it reminds me of Azur kits. Very keen to see how it develops in your expert, nimble fingers!!!!

Have fun!

JR

• Like 3

Yeah, all that stuff with the flash all over it - that's the stuff I replaced with aftermarket. Just saying. Those Marabou photoetch cockpits are very cool!

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Yes, I'm going to be annoying.

• Like 5

Welcome JR - embarrassing episode in the Albert Hall, and with that 'circular' audience, nowhere to hide! :shutup: 

Welcome Jonty. Fashionably late? I bet you booked a seat in the middle of the row didn't you? And waited until everyone else had sat down and settled. And the doors were closing. Is that you Mrs B?

Annoying Bill? You? I prefer to call it "encouraging me to higher 'planes":D 

I did have a quick search and noticed there's no Mk XIV AM apart from an i/p and I like doing those by hand. I know you used the Mk IX stuff but I think I'll give it a miss this time and go for a lovingly assembled OOB. Apart from the over-painted roundels. Groan.

• Like 4

If I just sidle in quietly here my tardiness won't be noticed?

Good luck on this Ced. With yourself and PC on Spits we're currently blessed with a veritable echelon...

:thumbsup:Tony

• Like 3

Welcome Tony!

Roundel over-paint? See, I'm pondering...

:worms: :worms: :worms:

Yes, a three-can problem.

I'm always intrigued by our attempts to establish the facts from a few B&W photos (that don't usually have dates) and the occasional scan of a typed memo from 'the Ministry'.

I'm confused by the different schemes provided by the kit and decal manufacturers - one assumes they do some research?
I also admire the experience of posters here on BM and attempts by modellers to get it right.

How often did these aircraft get repainted? When in 1945 am I building the model? Did they paint white strips on and then overpaint them when the pilots complained they were too easy to spot?

What to do? Obviously I want to enjoy the build (most important) and I won't be entering the result in any competitions or displaying it in a museum so I don't have the constraints that proper modellers have. I want to bash the kit (carefully, of course) and enjoy the thread and the craic. Hmmm :hmmm: 

I imagine some new Spitfires turning up at an airfield somewhere and the pilots clapping themselves on the backs in enthusiasm and heading off to the bar while the Erks take one look at the paint scheme and shake their heads... "Look Sarge, they've sent them in DFS again" "I know Jones, but there's a war on. Get the paint out, there's a good chap" "Right Sarge. Er, what colour?" Hard stare delivered and received...

It's going to be a while before I get to the paint and I will accept the over-paint challenge. Just what colour and how? That is the question...

• Like 9

Did someone call?  :shrug:

Is the Academy kit any use even as a source of spares these days?  I've got two that I can break up as they've been superceeded in the stash by Fujimi toolings.

Fine Trackhead I am typing stuff like that.  :oops:

• Like 6