Spitfire F.Mk.XIVe - AZ model 1/72

CedB

17 hours ago, charlie_c67 said:

Unless it's Guinness, in which case you're all good...

16 hours ago, giemme said:

You're so right! :D

Ciao

14 hours ago, bbudde said:

Guinness is ok for me as long as it is a Lager or a,pale ale.

12 hours ago, charlie_c67 said:

Not even remotely. It's a stout!

[Surfer ad clipped]

Thanks guys - Guinness is good for you! I think the 'surfer' ad was one of the first ads, but sadly not the last, that had me thinking "WTF is all that about??!!"

I used to like the ads with the talking Toucan, my favourite being the one where the man is pouring a Guinness in front of the Toucan saying "Guinness" repeatedly, presumably to teach him to speak the word. The Toucan cocks his head as if listening. In the background a door is heard to open and a voice says "I'm home love", at which point the Toucan says "Bad news Mrs Jones, your husband's turning into a parrot". Classic. 

Guinness in Dublin is like nectar. Elsewhere, especially the UK, not so much IMHO.

15 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Re- Tonytiger.

[Monk video clipped]

Simon.

Thanks Simon - Dave Allen, sadly missed.

14 hours ago, bbudde said:

Maybe heating from the resin casting? It will get warm, if it is reacting with the air. Don't underestimate that.

Thanks Benedikt - I didn't think of that and I'll be careful with it in the future. Sadly the mats can only be delivered by courier so I'll need to save up.

4 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Great work Ced. I think I can see the allure of molding the pilots now. All the right arm exercise, lifting pint glasses.:drink:

Jont.

Thanks Jont. it is one of the attractions but feel free to have a pint whether you're moulding or not!

I'm going to wait the full 24 hours for the rubber to go off so I did some work on the Spit. Seams sanded:

32437430285_9c207f1c00_z.jpg

What a big nose you have, Grandma. And then the tailwheel bay and doors:

32397582426_d98c66b1b2_z.jpg

cleaned up:

32397678866_505c185ed6_z.jpg

Too fiddly after two evenings over the pub but I'll see what the doors are like before deciding to use them or Milliput.

• Like 11

Benedikt I love that and have 'shared it' :D

I couldn't wait to see if the moulds had worked. One-part for the skinnies:

OK, so I need to cut pour holes in anyway.

The rubber is still 'oily' - is that right? Is it still going off?

Just to make sure I've given it a bit more air:

32061987310_ce606ee07c_z.jpg

What should I use to clean up the 'oily' and odd bits of rubber on the Lego - ideas please!

• Like 7

Thanks Tom, I'll try the meths... for the clean up, not drinking!

I couldn't resist the urge to see how the moulding went so I cut some pour holes into the top of the single-part mould and then tried to extract the master. They're stuck. Crikey this rubber GRIPS. If I can't get the master out, I won't be able to remove the moulded ones so I gave up on the one-part idea but cut the mould open to make sure the method works:

32401033646_d5cf363fc8_z.jpg

From what I can see it looks OK, so I'll go back and make a two-part mould for those and the other, larger pilots.

The two-part mould was removed and the Plasticine carefully removed. I was a bit worried about this part but the Plasticine came away really easily. Here's the result:

32289770722_e37b3d5c0c_z.jpg

I'd forgotten to make locating lugs in the mould but I'm hoping it will be OK - not as though it's a flat join!

Do I need to remove the thin rubber from the figures and the left-most arm do you think, or will it be OK? 

Next step is to coat the rubber with release agent and then pour the second part. I'll do that when I've got the other pilots in their moulds.

• Like 6

I would try first ordinary dish cleaner Something that solves grease or pinguid, but isn't aggressive on rubber. Maybe as above.

Yes I think you will have to remove the rubber on the arm. I would do just to be sure.

• Like 1

Thanks Benedikt - done!

I've fiddled with the tailwheel doors - Giorgio's idea of the BluTak helped a lot with the dry-fitting but, frankly, the doors don't fit closed:

32321026681_7cd39336a6_z.jpg

so I've given up and started filling the bay. I also have the same problem as Cookie with the i/p not fitting (of course).

32402278186_feb1343701_z.jpg

What a pain...

• Like 12

The moulding process for the pilots looks quite difficult. Top marks for tenacity Ced,

I think I would just have made a Tony Hart style 1/72 'Morph' pilot by now with that lovely Plasticine.

I can't remember what Plasticine smelled like, which is odd as I loved playing with it as wee nipper. I can remember that Play Doh used to smell so sweet that I tried to eat it. Often. Just in case one time it did taste as good as its smell. I had a lot of constipation as a child....

I never figured out if Plasticine could be made to set solid. I think maybe if something is made out of it then put in the oven, it shrinks and becomes solid (sounds against the laws of nature, what with many things getting more solid as they get bigger..:blink2:).

The internet doesn't cater for smells AFAIK? Just as well with all this quaffing of beer and stout; the morning after a good session can be quite breezy around the boondocks!

Splendid tidy filling of the fuselage seams Ced. It's a shame about the rear wheel well doors. They look like they almost fit at the rear, but taper towards the front? Is it worth glueing them in, to provide a solid base and then filling around them?

I/p looks tricky. Overall it's putting up a bit of a fight here and there, but you'll beat it!

TT 

• Like 4

I'm with Cookie when it comes to the progress you've made on the casting Ced, you're absolutely getting a feel for it as far as I can see. :)

A brief Guinness anecdote for you. 

Many aeons ago I was taking part in a student film being shot in Donegal, involving (predictably) much analysis of the day's work over the black stuff in the evening. On one occasion, a small crew including myself got rained off and we sought shelter in the nearest hostelry. 

Walking in was like that scene in An American Werewolf in London when the conversation stops, pints paused in mid-air etc. as the locals eye the blow-ins. Ignoring this we bravely stride to the bar and our cameraman (who has been having a bad day of it) outrages local sentiment by proceeding to gulp his Guinness down before the pint has settled properly in the glass. On being berated by the outraged barman over such lack of respect for his handiwork, said cameraman pulls out his camera, sets it on the bar pointing at my pint (which is still settling) and says to yer man: 'F**k that, I'll video his and watch it settling later.' as he polishes off his own glass...

Tony

• Like 5

I hesitate to mention this Ced, but I think you may have attached the tailwheel doors back to front.

Talking of dogs on laps, Rosie our youngest ( and heaviest ) insists on clambering up onto the lap of SWMBO most evenings for a cuddle.

John

• Like 3

Thanks Simon and Johnny - the fit and shape at the top is fine... it just seems to be too long (see below)

Thanks TT and John - trying to fit the gear doors closed was a fool's errand I'm afraid. There appears to be an obvious difference between the angle of the front and rear of the opening and the doors appear to have similar angles, once cleaned up, but then the top join is gapped at the front and rises at the rear. I trimmed and refitted about twenty-ten times, using Giorgio's great idea of having BluTak in the hole, but in the end (the last photo) there was still a gap in the door join and they still didn't fit well enough for 'a bit of filler' so they went in the bin and the Milliput will be out. I think they're 'designed' to look good open but with the flash and old mouldings I hesitate to comment!

Thanks Cookie - and thanks for your confidence! Remembering your problems with the floor stopping the wing going on I dry fitted the wing last night:

32334005991_2e2e351509_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Same problem, but it DID make me realise that, as the top of the i/p fits OK, I can just shave some off the bottom (fnaar) and ignore the gaps down the sides as they won't show after close up. 

Thanks Tony - I wish I was getting a feel for the work on the casting (it would be a nice reward) but nothing yet apart from some rubber action... I will persevere, slowly.

Great Guinness anecdote - most places I've seen have some half-filled glasses ready for the final top up but waiting when you're thirsty is 'orrid. Perhaps it's a way of encouraging a slower pace of life - or at least slower drinking.

Thanks Benedikt - I started by filling the hole with Humbrol putty but couldn't mould it properly so it's been shaved back as a good base for the Milliput.

Nice Lego dog, very clever. I'm amazed by what people can do with the stuff.

John, like Rosie, Molly is very affectionate and often sits with Mrs B or leans against her on the sofa. She also comes and sits on my lap (Molly, not Mrs B, sadly), stares in my face and licks my nose and, if I'm lucky, lies on my chest and snuggles her head against my neck. Dog breath aside it's supposed to be a dog thank you for all the food. Of course she used to try to lick my mouth ('please regurgitate some food for me') but that's been banned!

• Like 9

Thanks Simon - collectors, not modellers then? :D It's a challenge to me now!

Just for John I've painted the pedal internals black - the last time you'll see them but hey, friends and all that:

32456835645_0b0c67dfbd_z.jpg

That done I bit the bullet and shoved the internals in and glued them in place - I'll shave the bottom later:

32417189146_b4c2d54a96_z.jpg

32417198276_0bb75f6a6b_z.jpg

When that's dry I'll see if I can squeeze a pilot in there... looks tight eh?

Talking of shaving, I chiselled off the 'they're not locating pins' from the wing internals and, after a bit of dry-fitting and sanding to get the cannon holes lined up, glued the halves together:

32335789791_4e70f984f3_z.jpg

32305921192_1f571292b5_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

I've also run a hairdryer over the big mat after Benedikt's advice that it may have been heat that warped it:

31614026064_2dcd810f3c_z.jpg

Seems to have sorted it (thanks Benedikt) which I'm pleased about as ordering one off the 'net has courier charges attached.

Looking at that photo now, taken in natural light, has given me a new view on lighting my photos - hmmm :hmmm: 

• Like 10

Your doing really well Ced. I'd never tackle a kit like this. I am a very lazy modeller as you know. But it's really good to see someone like you determined to finish it, and not let it beat you. Joe :D

• Like 1

Thanks Joe - kind as always :)

I got some moulding mojo this afternoon so I made up a frame for the other pilots:

32339009091_e20720a316_z.jpg

I've decided, with a label on the front, that a single mould for these four will be fine (and it also let me be my usual lazy self). I can mould them all at once or just fill the mould for the one(s) I need. That's the theory anyway.

I've also pondered the flow and gates and decided to go for the 'standard' method used for injection, a gate on the helmet. This will give me a mould where, when the parts are pulled apart, has 'shallow beds' for the parts (like the silicone putty one) rather than having problems trying to pull out the part from 'sucking rubber'. Another theory. I cut up a cotton bud for the gates:

32460712315_030e1b56bf_z.jpg

I had considered a 'block on the feet' like the PJ pilots but I can't see how I could get the resin in through the feet. I'm going to try injecting it with a syringe this time to avoid more 'skeletons' (another theory).

I coated 'mould 1' with release agent, let it dry (I think) and then mixed up another 50ml mix, pouring it carefully over the parts:

31617750904_4f33e9759a_z.jpg

I'm going to stick with the 50ml mix I think as it's easy to get the proportions right and I have plenty, sorry PLENTY of rubber left.

• Like 11

I feel extremely guilty about this Spit now Ced. It's proving to be quite a pain in the butt ox.

The interior looks great, you've done a smashing job. Regardless of being seen, the black areas inside the pedals do look a lot better :).

Shaving a bit off the bottom is far preferable to the top; I'm glad the top of the I/p actually fitted. Will the wings fit once that's done? I didn't know it was such a tricky Spit kit :confused: .

I think Sword may have released a new Mk 14 now. I bet it's a lot better. I wonder if this old AZ one is any better than the old Frog?

I once made one of those and really enjoyed it. Basic but suitably big nosed, went together quickly and looked the part.

Good luck with the pilot's this time!

All best regards

TonyT

• Like 3

21 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Dang nabbit, that's a pain.:huh: Maybe try and slice a little off the IP with a scalpel, less destructive than sanding and you'll get a clean finish to glue too.

That's what I do on this -- cut the entire bottom of the IP off below the compass platform.

• Like 6