Spitfire F.Mk.XIVe - AZ model 1/72

CedB

Thanks Tony :rofl: again!

Giorgio you're very welcome.

What do we think about the one/two-part moulds on these and where the rods should go?

31592531233_de8a768bd0_z.jpg

I originally thought I could do a one-part mould on these as there's no seam, but then I realised that the arms would break when I pulled it out (snurf yip).

I think a two-part with the seam through the middle then? Risk a seam on the arms?

Obviously the flow channels are there on the mould and if I use a syringe to 'inject' the resin, should be OK?

These guys (Airfix 'hands in lap')?

32026259050_695563f311_z.jpg

They're 'twerking' a bit so I think I need the usual top channel and another (recommended by Simon)? Here's the idea; yellow line shows orientation to the vertical, red lines are the channels:

31561459414_7d4f70ef92_z.jpg

For these skinny guys I think I can do a one-part mould as they're fairly upright. Just a rod on their helmets?

32283163011_a698fd4773_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Comments welcome!

• Like 9

I've also fiddled with the Spitfire, again.

Canopy dipped in Aqua Gloss and left to dry overnight:

32364172186_66a0e0600e_z.jpg

Nice enough. Thanks Jaime for recommending the stuff and PC for reminding me to use it.

Every time I pick up the cockpit parts and try to assemble them I end up fumbling. I've tried several times now and got so cross I almost shoved them up... and then I remembered the 'shove it up the bottom' technique! I can easily dry fit the too-wide i/p that way. Right. Just need to get the fuselage bits together... to be honest, the moulds have obviously seen better days and there's a bit of warping, so glueing and clamping the tail and then working my way down I got these:

32283181571_c08dfd361b_n.jpg 31592571853_272883f453_n.jpg

32253448662_fa0f04d715_n.jpg 32026316660_34c62844a6_n.jpg

32026326930_a60a2c99a2_n.jpg 32283091051_12c2462c3e_n.jpg

I think I'm going to get loads of practice on seam filling and I'll try Cookie's tape and CA on the cowl. Great.

• Like 12

30 minutes ago, CedB said:

I think I'm going to get loads of practice on seam filling and I'll try Cookie's tape and CA on the cowl. Great.

Oh yes, that's the right attitude :D Very interested in how you manage the casting process :popcorn:

Ciao

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CedB said:

32026326930_a60a2c99a2_n.jpg 

I hate to add to your problems but shouldn't there be a wheelwell there? Easily enough to fix, with some plastic card, if there isn't.

Edited by Beard
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, CedB said:

Thanks Tony :rofl: again!

Giorgio you're very welcome.

What do we think about the one/two-part moulds on these and where the rods should go?

31592531233_de8a768bd0_z.jpg

I originally thought I could do a one-part mould on these as there's no seam, but then I realised that the arms would break when I pulled it out (snurf yip).

I think a two-part with the seam through the middle then? Risk a seam on the arms?

Obviously the flow channels are there on the mould and if I use a syringe to 'inject' the resin, should be OK?

These guys (Airfix 'hands in lap')?

32026259050_695563f311_z.jpg

They're 'twerking' a bit so I think I need the usual top channel and another (recommended by Simon)? Here's the idea; yellow line shows orientation to the vertical, red lines are the channels:

31561459414_7d4f70ef92_z.jpg

For these skinny guys I think I can do a one-part mould as they're fairly upright. Just a rod on their helmets?

32283163011_a698fd4773_z.jpg

Comments welcome!

Hello I would do a horizontal cut inbetween the lifejacket and the hands. So you don't need a small runner. Just the big opening on the edge of the mould. You can also work then with a cocktail stick to delete bigger airbubbles. You will have a seam there, but it's on the uniform,  which is easier to model.

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Beard said:

I hate to add to your problems but shouldn't there be a wheelwell there? Easily enough to fix, with some plastic card, if there isn't.

Yes -- I did just that on my build.

• Like 2

Thanks Giorgio, fingers crossed!

1 hour ago, Beard said:

23 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Yes -- I did just that on my build.

Thanks Simon and PC - wheels up for me so I just have to try and fit the silly little doors, closed, or fill with Milliput. given the state of the supplied parts:

32166769435_a7ab5c3d7b_n.jpg

I think the filler might be easier and less frustrating.

Thanks Charlie - I don't think it's legal for me to sell the moulded pilots as they're probably copyrighted or something?

40 minutes ago, bbudde said:

I would do a horizontal cut inbetween the lifejacket and the hands.

Thanks Benedikt - do you mean a two-part mould with the join across the 'waist'? I can see this would be easier to clean / hide.

Over the pub tonight with the 'ladies book club widowers'. There will be beer!

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, CedB said:

Thanks Benedikt - do you mean a two-part mould with the join across the 'waist'? I can see this would be easier to clean / hide.

Over the pub tonight with the 'ladies book club widowers'. There will be beer!

Yes, I would do a two part mould on that. You will also have the possibility to change or vary the height a bit with the excess.

Ps: Don't use a tank to get to the pub.:winkgrin:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, giemme said:

I agree with Simon, on all accounts :winkgrin: I just had a Chimay (belgian brown beer, for the unbelievers), for friendship's sake, anyway. :coolio: 

Ciao

Chimay. Lovely stuff! 

Double or triple Trappist monk? 

Apparently the 'trappistes' have a vow of complete silence, but they *are* allowed to talk about brewing their lovely beer.

I had an uncle that tried to be a Trappist monk, joined the monastery at 20.

Every 10 years he had a review with the abbot.

He was allowed to speak no more than two words at each review.

At his first review the abbot asked;

" Ten years you have spent in silence within these walls my son, do you have a couple of words you would like to say?"

My uncle Richard replied:

"Bed, hard"

"I'm sorry to hear that my son" the abbot replied "We'll get you another mattress".

My uncle left his review and continued in complete silence, for another ten years

His next review came around. He was now 40 years old and had spoken only two words in 20 years.

The abbot asked, in a similar vein to 10 years previously;

" Twenty years you have spent in silence within these walls my son, do you have a couple of words you would like to say?"

Richard replied:

"Porridge, lumpy"

The abbot sighed and said;

"I'm sorry to hear that my son, we'll get the cook to mix your porridge more thoroughly"

Another ten years passed. Richard was now 50. Just four words in 30 years. It was time for his review with the abbot.

"Thirty years you have spent in silence within these walls my son, do you have a couple of words you would like to say?"

Richard replied;

"Door, draughty"

The abbot's brow furrowed.

"I'm sorry my son, I'll get your door properly sealed so that you don't feel the cold draught".

Another 10 years passed. Richard was miserable. He'd had enough of the silence. He was 60 years old now, he decided he was just young enough to enjoy some worldly pleasures, it was time to confront the exceedingly old abbot.

He was scared. He felt he'd let himself down. That the abbot had been kind and would be very sad to see him go.

It was time for his review. Just six words in 40 years. Now he would have to say more.

"Forty years you have spent in silence within these walls my son, do you have a couple of words you would like to say?"

"Well father, I am sorry to say I wish to leave. This life is not for me"

Said Richard 

The abbot's face dropped, he looked relieved; 

"Thank Christ for that, I'll be glad to see you go, you've done nothing but complain since you came here!"

:coat: 

PS: I like the pilots Ced. Even the Biafran one. They'll improve with each attempt :thumbsup2: 

TT

• Like 9

Good lord Ced, you've so much patience. This is all beyond me. Keep up the good work, your doing really well. Joe 

• Like 2

Thanks Benedikt - I didn't go in a tank, but I did get a bit 'tanked up'! Two-part mould started (see below)

Thanks Spookytooth - I did have one for you, cheers!

Thanks Giorgio - hope you enjoyed yours :)

Thanks Rob - Spitfire? Oh yes, seams attacked and filled:

32384910156_37504c5d51_z.jpg

Thanks Tony - 'your uncle' sounds like a bit of a moaner - I hope you haven't got into the habit? :D

Thanks Beard - not to worry and thanks for the warning about the missing wheel; always best to check!

Thanks Joe - I'm not really a patient man and, compared to you, certainly not! Very kind though, as always.

Time to get on with some rubber action. That's better! Now, where are those moulding bits...

Lego frame filled with Plasticine which, disappointingly, doesn't smell! Rats. Initially I was trying to get it very flat but then realised 'almost flat' is probably good enough. Then pilots pressed in very carefully making sure that the arms were 'half buried':

32424319935_dd456fcc20_n.jpg 31612708653_bfb4c9543c_n.jpg

Then another frame was built up for the one-part mould and the pilots, who've had cocktail sticks glued to their heads, dangled in at an angle so they're 'vertical' in the frame:

32424438395_6cc79ae775_n.jpg 32424563445_c173a66ae0_n.jpg

How much to mix? The deep frame looked smaller than a 60ml pot so I used that, adding 50ml of rubber and 3ml of catalyst.

32303711171_d34710b19a_n.jpg 32384942746_44bdc8c871_n.jpg

Really gloopy stuff. Mixed very well with the supplied spatula (my coffee stirrer broke half way through) and then poured carefully into the mould. It settles really well, hopefully around the parts - we shall see!

Leaving now for 8-24 hours:

31613148343_0270e548b7_z.jpg

May as well go over the pub again - neighbours gathering this time. There goes the diet!

• Like 11

p.s. what's happened to my big mat? It's bending up:

31612886993_5fef11a354_z.jpg

A real pain as that's where I keep my paper towel and instructions. I don't remember spilling anything on it. Hmmm.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, CedB said:

A real pain as that's where I keep my paper towel and instructions. I don't remember spilling anything on it. Hmmm.

It could be a mole hill Ced ?

Check the underneath of the table , they can be devious little things, moles that is.

Simon.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, CedB said:

May as well go over the pub again - neighbours gathering this time. There goes the diet!

Have fun. Oh another tip for a diet is: Only beer. You wiill loose weight, but not so healthy in the long run.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, CedB said:

Maybe heating from the resin casting? It will get warm, if it is reacting with the air. Don't underestimate that.

• Like 3