Spitfire F.Mk.XIVe - AZ model 1/72

CedB

Hello Ced Looks good as usual. The Nikon Coolpix is a good small digicam. I have a 4 years old s6200 and I'm really satisfied  with it for my purposes. There are only a few things, that I don't like ( No really snapshots possible, because of some delay/ tricky USB adapter/ medicore video quality and my accu deflates to fast even without using the cam) But it makes fine high resolution photos on all distances, is functional (good and tidy menu) and has a good handling with one hand including the zoom function. I think I'll get me a second akku for exchange. All in all I'm very happy with that. Cheers

(P.S: The Liberator box art I sent you in your wip was taken from the 14. Airfix catalogue with that camera on a short distance in the auto function)

(PPS.: On/at a distance ? or both?)

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 1

Can I make a suggestion please? If you paint the middle areas of the rudder pedals matt black it will look like you've drilled them out when they are in place under the instrument panel, unless of course you intend to drill them out anyway.

John

• Like 6

Great job on the interiors Ced :clap: As Simon says, a proper camera is great to spot defects, but the macro effect is really unforgiving, especially in this scale :frantic:

Ciao

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Don`t stop taking close ups Ced.

It`s a great way of spotting any little faults before going on.

That is the beauty of the digital camera and computer.

All coming along quite well.

Simon.

Thanks Simon :) Close ups do show up the faults don't they? One reason not to post them, although I'm quite happy to share my mistakes (fnaar avoided by not using c*ck up) even though I may be too lazy to correct them.

18 hours ago, bbudde said:

Hello Ced Looks good as usual. The Nikon Coolpix is a good small digicam. I have a 4 years old s6200 and I'm really satisfied  with it for my purposes. There are only a few things, that I don't like ( No really snapshots possible, because of some delay/ tricky USB adapter/ medicore video quality and my accu deflates to fast even without using the cam) But it makes fine high resolution photos on all distances, is functional (good and tidy menu) and has a good handling with one hand including the zoom function. I think I'll get me a second akku for exchange. All in all I'm very happy with that. Cheers

(P.S: The Liberator box art I sent you in your wip was taken from the 14. Airfix catalogue with that camera on a short distance in the auto function)

(PPS.: On/at a distance ? or both?)

Thanks Benedikt - the problem I'm having at a short distance is just lighting I think, and making sure I don't poke the model with the lens! I'll practice some more, especially for RFI shots.

18 hours ago, rob85 said:

Paint that isn't yellow! Glad your on better form. And well done for having a go at the pilots and moulding, the detail looks to have held well in the green stuff?

Rob

Thanks Rob - the green stuff (silicon putty, like Silligum Keith says) is easy to use and would probably do well if I'd left it to cure for longer and thought about the position of the parts more. I may persevere!

16 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Can I make a suggestion please? If you paint the middle areas of the rudder pedals matt black it will look like you've drilled them out when they are in place under the instrument panel, unless of course you intend to drill them out anyway.

John

Thanks John. Of course you can make suggestions, they're always welcome. I'm not sure the pedals will be visible at this scale but we all know they're there (otherwise why did I bother casting a new one?)

12 hours ago, giemme said:

Great job on the interiors Ced :clap: As Simon says, a proper camera is great to spot defects, but the macro effect is really unforgiving, especially in this scale :frantic:

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio :) 

I may not get much done today. We're having the hot water cylinder replaced and we have friends coming for an overnight... hopefully there will be some hot water!

• Like 4

While waiting for the plumber to arrive I've ordered some moulding rubber, release agent, plasticine and mixing pots.

Not ordering the recommended Sylmasta kit when I started (silly boy, but I already had the Oyumaru and Silicon putty) means I already have the resin and they don't do smaller pots of rubber than 1kg so I will now have enough to mould the world...

You may be wondering why I'm spending all this money (£50 for that order) to mould some pilots.

My reasons are that:

• I always build wheels up and hang the results from the ceiling so I need (and like) pilots
  • Some kit cockpits are too small for the popular 'Airfix Chubbies' (you know, the ones with no noses and flash between their legs)
  • PJ Productions have changed their design on the RAF pilots and I'm not sure I like the new 'masked' ones (yet to be seen) but they were about £4 a pair and so kept for 'specials'
  • I probably have more money than sense and
  • Moulding a new pilot would make this old man very happy.

Sometimes I wonder, I really do...

• Like 12

Hello Ced you can put off the lightning at short distances with good day light. I do so. I think there as also a function to lighten up the picture ( Beleuchtung aufhellen) on your model  (There is: Must be the right button in the circle on the back) Maybe you can change to the contre-jour modus, if this helps with a preflash.  You also can go at a higher distance and zoom in, if you use the flash. But you just have to try.

Ps: The problem with my akku is probably caused by age and extensive use.

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, CedB said:

you know, the ones with no noses and flash between their legs

Fnaar fnaar wibble blip!

3 hours ago, CedB said:

they don't do smaller pots of rubber than 1kg so I will now have enough to mould the world...

1 kg does go a very, very, very long way. I am going to have to think up something outrageously, extravagantly BIG to use some of it up (if it is still usable, that is).

Cheers,

Alex.

• Like 2

All the interior detail parts look very smart Ced :thumbsup2: .

With the yellow prop tips done it looks like this fuselage could be closed soon :).

No need to justify the pilot expenditure Ced. It's all about enjoying the hobby as much as possible. We all have our favourite bits of the whole creative process and the manufacturers  really are a little shoddy when it comes to providing decent pilots.

All best regards

TonyT

Edited by TonyTiger66
Auto correct
  • Like 4

Could be. It's Father Ted. Does it say it's 'not allowed in your country' or something like that? :huh:

What a shame. I can try to find another version if so.

TT

• Like 2

Thanks Benedikt - I'll try the camera in natural light and changing the brightness, thanks for the tip.

Thanks Simon - I'd appreciate the skinny pilots, as always, but no hurry... I hope the loft works are going well.

Thanks Alex - yes, I fear the rubber may go off before I use it all. Ho hum.

Thanks Tony - and for the Father Ted clip and...

Thanks Charlie for the 'approved' UK version.

Hot water tank in, heating restored. Friends awaited. Spitfire neglected :( 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, CedB said:

Thanks Simon - I'd appreciate the skinny pilots, as always, but no hurry... I hope the loft works are going well.

I think the works are going well, there's certainly a lot less plasterboard in the hall, but I've decided not to look in the loft until the official opening. I'm hoping a minor Royal can cut the ribbon.

Anyway, I'll dig some pilots out when I get the chance and send them your way.

• Like 2

That'll teach me to watch Father Ted with a hot cup o' tea. Thanks, Tony :), sez he mopping up...

And yet, Charlie's clip worked here in Oz. Very odd.

Hope you're back in hot water, Ced.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, AlexN said:

And yet, Charlie's clip worked here in Oz. Very odd.

The message said Channel 4 blocked the content in the UK - which is indeed very odd seeing as UK taxpayers paid for the channel in the first place & still part fund it!

It's even more annoying when the BBC occasionally does the same thing...!! :D

Try to make sure you get the lids on the rubber pots on as tightly as possible Ced to make it last as long as possible - the shelf life is nowhere near as long as the resin. I tend to 'seal' them with duct tape as I convince myself this makes them more airtight. I'm probably wrong...!!

One thing I forgot to mention you might find you want is a small digital weighing scale - many of the rubbers need mixing by weight rather than volume. When I started I used to try & 'guestimate' & ended up with a fair few mixes that wouldn't set or set straight away! I 'invested' in something like these;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Small-MINI-Digital-Pocket-Electronic-Weighing-Weight-Scale-0-01g-100Gram-UK-/131989443966?hash=item1ebb2f157e:g:D6IAAOSwB09YGGeu

Keith

• Like 3

Thanks Simon - no hurry dear chap... I hope they don't put the loft in upside down :)

Thanks Alex and John :)

Thanks Keith. I'll check the instructions when it arrives (promised today) and I think it's mix by volume, but if not I'll get some of those scales. 100g maximum, fits in your pocket, "for weighing jewellery"... suspicious, or is it just me??

• Like 4

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

One thing I forgot to mention you might find you want is a small digital weighing scale

+1 to this! Great advice, Keith! Heed his advice, Ced! An essential piece o' kit! Get one! Get one last week!

(Sorry about all the exclamation marks ;)).

Cheers,

Alex.

• Like 3

Thanks Alex. The stuff arrived today:

31992609250_1300163fa9_z.jpg

and the instructions show weight AND volume proportions so I should be able to get away without the drug paraphernalia scales. We shall see! 

I'm looking forward to sniffing the Plasticine (made in Bath, originally) in the expectations it will bring back memories of, er, Plasticine.

The measuring cups have scales on the inside:

32219799032_a5106049c6.jpg

which looks weird but is a clever idea when you're pouring stuff and it's on the table. I hope.

Thanks Sarge - please fell free to chip in when I get back to the moulding. Sometime.

Hi Simon and welcome :)

• Like 9