Spitfire F.Mk.XIVe - AZ model 1/72

CedB

Thanks Simon - as a result of your kindness (and others) I have quite a stock of the chubby pilots thanks and some are still on the production line. The ones I'm short of and to be moulded are smaller (PJ Productions) or in different poses (leg and arm out). Thanks for the offer though.

Thanks Stew - a bit better but still short of stamina :( 

Welcome Tony! You are a kind man for sending me the kit and it's certainly attracted lots of interest so please don't apologise... bashing kits into submission is my relaxation!

I'll certainly be getting the PropMaster out later!

• Like 1

That putty looks very much like siligum;

http://www.cooksongold.com/Precious-Metal-Clay/Gedeo-Siligum-Moulding-Compound---100g-prcode-870-300?p=gs&gclid=CM-Ew_mgttECFYIL0wodpD4A4Q

I bought some (rather cheaper) from our local 'The Range' store & think it's great for making quick & dirty moulds. I often mix up small amounts of casting resin to use in it & it works nicely. Getting supplies of similar stuff free from the missus is a proper bonus!

And don't talk to me about fatique & no stamina, I really know how hateful they are. For reasons unknown to the medical profession, in 2007 I succumbed to something called Myasthenia Gravis - no, I'd never heard of it either! Two of the main symptoms are chronic fatique & lack of stamina to carry out any prolonged physical activity (oh, & the now almost complete lack of an immune system so I catch every cold & infection going!) It got so bad it eventually led to medical retirement from the Civil Service (& getting blood from a stone is easier than that these days!), so I now have all the time in the world to get on with serious stash reduction, but no energy to do so - frustrating is not the word!!

Apologies for being so maudling Ced - I've just realised why - it's just turned midnight & I've just turned 60.....aaaarrrgh!!!:D

Keith

• Like 8

7 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Apologies for being so maudling Ced - I've just realised why - it's just turned midnight & I've just turned 60.....aaaarrrgh!!!:D

Happy Birthday Keith! :hbd:

Ciao

• Like 2

Happy Birthday Keith! :hbd:  Sixty is the new forty they tell me, whatever that means...

What sort of casting resin do you use Keith? I might get some to try out.

I've had a couple of bouts of 'post viral fatigue' and it really is a pain, I sympathise. For me the worse part is the 'brain freeze' - lying around would be more bearable if you could read, or watch something... I had several sets of DVDs bought for me during one six-month bout and I still can't remember what happened - slept through bits. Horrid. Luckily a session of excessive smoking and drinking in Prague seemed to cure it, but my Consultant wouldn't give me a prescription or fund any research... some people eh, no sense of adventure :D 

• Like 8

Thanks all, much appreciated!! :thumbsup:

Ced, I use casting resin from Sylmasta. For the amounts I use, I usually just buy a starter set off them every year at Telford. The mould rubber tends to go off fairly quickly when opened but the resin seems to remain usable for years, & it has the advantage of being an easy 50/50 mix of parts A & B.

It's this one;

https://sylmasta.com/catalogue/product/sylmasta-casting-kit-01/

Keith

• Like 1

Thanks Keith :)

Had a look at that and watched the video... If I'm going to use the Oyumaru or the Silligum stuff for the molds do I need a kit? Can I just get the resin stuff? What's the difference between 'resin' and 'liquid polyurethane'? Can I get some of this stuff that 'flows like water' and has free UK delivery?

(For others there's a thread here on kits and Keith contributed to that too.)

So many questions, sorry :) 

Hi Ced, nope you don't need the kit if you want to stick with the mould making stuff you already have, you do indeed just need the resin. I just buy the whole kit as it's more convenient if I do want the moulding rubber - that stuff is a bit more time consuming (&messy!)  to use but can produce finer detailed, more complex moulds.You will need some disposable cups to mix the stuff in & some stirrers (visit to McD's or Costa in order! :D) If you can find some cups with graduated markings it helps in the mixing, otherwise you'll need pippettes. 

Don't really know the answer to the next question tbh, but I'm guessing they're one & the same - resin parts are often called PUR parts which I believe is Polyurethane resin. I've never tried the stuff you link too, but it looks fine - seems to have all the qualities of the sylmasta stuff. If I hadn't gone mad on spends the last couple of days (blaming my birthday!!), I'd be ordering some to try! 

HTH

Keith

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CedB said:

and I still can't remember what happened - slept through bits. Horrid. Luckily a session of excessive smoking and drinking in Prague seemed to cure it,

Truly you are the Oliver Reed of the modelling world Ced, you mad beast.:cheers:

BTW, if you're laid up in the 'brain-freeze' state (which I fully sympathise with) again, I've found that audio books can be a godsend. You can just lie there half zonked and drift in and out without missing any visuals. I was laid up with an ear infection about a year go that completely knocked out my sense of balance, nausea etc. when trying to move,for about 10 days. During that time having someone read to you was such a comfort to the system...

Good luck with the casting!

Tony

• Like 4

Thanks Keith - I've ordered some of the Polycraft EasyFlo stuff so we can have some fun later. Helps a lot, thanks.

Thanks Tony - audiobooks, great idea, I'll see what I can find, although I'm feeling a bit better today (thanks)

Bless you Miggers... oh, sorry, got it. Yep, I have an Airfix 22 and it has these bits:

31858897740_0f42d6abf0_z.jpg

Very nice floor, rubbish i/p and it all fits together. Thanks for the tip but I think I'll go with the kit stuff after the effort on the pedals and the nicer i/p. I will remember the tip though, thanks.

A bit of a session with the flash sanders and the prop blades are now much better:

31858825930_e4e980c89b_z.jpg

32085760422_cb2ffecfd6_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

These things are spooky - they seem to know what's flash and what's part and you can just keep going, gently brushing it over the plastic, until the flash stops coming off. You do need a brave heart though and I think i stopped too soon on a couple of the blades. I'll have a look when they're off.

• Like 12

The fatigue sounds horrible Ced :(.

I can certainly relate. I can concur with the Audiobooks suggestion. 

If that becomes too much I just completely vegetate to 'Classic FM':headphones:!

The flash removal tools look great, a much improved propeller will result! I have just received two kits that are basically, boxes of flash; I'll have to invest in a set of those 'anti-flash' thingies. Plus, one can never have too many tools!

Get lots of rest Ced, it pays dividends not to push too hard through this fatigue lark; sometimes it pushes back just as powerfully. Vitamins B and C and herb teas like camomile, ginger, honey and peppermint will help :thumbsup2: 

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 3

Thanks Tony :)

I am starting to feel better, thanks, but I won't push it too hard as suggested (fnaar fnaar!)

I did fiddle with the prop blades a bit last night and got the internals ready for painting.

I think I might do this one 'old school' and brush paint everything with Humbrol acrylics at the bench. Nice and gentle and less moving about!

• Like 5

Really hope you can move through the fatigue ced, it's such a horrible feeling. 

Old school brush rush painting is great fun and very therapeutic that's why I have continued down that route... I enjoy it

Rob

• Like 2

Thanks Rob. My 'starter set' pot of H78 was getting near the bottom so I had to find another one... and, of course, mix the rest of the old stuff with the new. Must have saved me, ooo, 0.002p but 'waste not, want not'.

Hi Leon and welcome. Milk, no sugar in mine please.

Mrs B is now up and about and I reckon I'm a couple of days behind but I have the occasional spurt of energy. Enough to clean up the blades so I have five about the same:

32125048561_91b2be6c63_z.jpg

They do have that complex profile that Peter spent so much time on with his big bird. Nice(ish) on this. IG on and seat painted:

32246621285_8c781e0cb2_z.jpg

Blade tips given a first coat of Hu24 (yes, I am trying hard to get nice blades on this one)

32097717092_800f422bd2_z.jpg

and a bit of IG on the fuselage sides which have some remnants of nice details to pick out:

32127690981_b78594e35f_z.jpg

• Like 12

I was in Portland for one day a couple summers ago, and while I was looking after my friends' dog while they were in a downtown shop, Darth Vader rode by on a unicycle playing the Imperial March on flaming bagpipes. The dog and I were both in awe.

Speaking of awe, you're casting your own parts now Ced?

• Like 7

Thanks Simon - not so hairy nowa.... oh, brushing by hand, yes!

Thanks Giorgio :) 

Thanks Benedikt - please, don't ever feel you need to apologise for your English; it's MUCH better than my German!

That guy on the unicycle has the right idea - setting fire to the bagpipes, best thing for them. 

Hey Cookie! He's in Portland too? Gee, that guy gets around... but the Imperial March on bagpipes? Death's too good for him. 

As far as the casting goes, we shall see... the pedal was dipping a toe in the water. 

I'm miffed that PJ Procutions have stopped making the pilots I used for 'tight' cockpits so I'm going to have a go at those - I already have the mold stuff and have ordered the resin mix and some measuring cups. 60ml. Should be big enough?

• Like 5