AZ Models Decal Quality

CamberrySauce

Hi all,

I was considering buying an AZ Models Spitfire MK VIII because of the SEAC markings that are provided, I am just wondering if someone could tell me about the quality of these decals

Thanks in advance,

Cam

I've done a few AZ Spitfires of various marks aver the last few years. The decals are hit and miss. Some seem quite good and go on easily, where others are translucent and/or brittle. The Mk VIII I did ISTR the decals went on fine. 

• Like 2

You could wait and see what Eduard do with the Mk VIII. The first release will be the Aussie 8 set but they will release a Mk VIII Profipack/Weekend at some point too and I suspect an SEAC Mk VIII will be included. Eduard decals are quite good. AZ decals can be OK but sometimes a hint of water will get them off the backing sheet and any more make the decal curl up.

thanks

Mike

The question was about decals. Is it known that Eduard will be providing the specific SEAC decals the OP desires from the AZ kit? If not, is the likely superiority of the Eduard plastic drifitng from the point somewhat?

Camberry, which of the aircraft covered in the AZ kit do you want to build? It may be that there are after-market alternatives available.

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 1

While I have built several AZ Spitfire VIIIs (and more or less enjoyed it), I wouldn't recommend purchasing the kit solely on the strength of the decals, which I rate as merely adequate.

• Like 1

No but I'd be very surprised if they didn't. The decals in the 1/72 Eduard Spitfires seem to be following what they did in the 1/48 kits, and the SEAC was a big user of Spitfire VIII's. Even if they don't do SEAC decals in the Mk VIII, I would still get the Eduard kit over the AZ and get aftermarket decals. Remember, in the AZ kit you have to cut the clipped wingtips off and butt join the normal wingtips to it to make the wings. No such problem with the Eduard kit. I stick 100% with what I said earlier. Wait and see the Eduard kit before deciding what to do.

thanks

Mike

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies 

5 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

Camberry, which of the aircraft covered in the AZ kit do you want to build? It may be that there are after-market alternatives available.

This is the kit was looking at getting https://www.modelhobbies.co.uk/shop/models-supermarine-spitfire-viii-seac-7378-p-41621.html

I've never tried an Eduard kit before because the photo etch parts have put me off,

17 minutes ago, CamberrySauce said:

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies 

This is the kit was looking at getting https://www.modelhobbies.co.uk/shop/models-supermarine-spitfire-viii-seac-7378-p-41621.html

I've never tried an Eduard kit before because the photo etch parts have put me off,

get a weekend edition, no photo etch.  The eduard site has details of what in which  boxing of a kit, and also  has pdf's of the instructions.  

as other have said, you maybe better off just getting aftermarket decals and a good base kit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CamberrySauce said:

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies 

Hi Camberry, if you're keen to get one of those AZ kits, don't bother with Modelhobbies, its a pretty spendy way to do it. A pity that MJW models don't have it, they're cheaper & have cheaper post, but these guys, not only have it but will be cheaper too. Ignore their post advice when ordering, it works out a lot cheaper than that in the final wash up when you get the paypal invoice. I think I'll be waiting to see what Eduard come up with & buy it from Mike & John at MJW, though I've used Modelimex a heap of times too with complete satisfaction.

Steve.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Hi Camberry, if you're keen to get one of those AZ kits, don't bother with Modelhobbies, its a pretty spendy way to do it. A pity that MJW models don't have it, they're cheaper & have cheaper post, but these guys, not only have it but will be cheaper too. Ignore their post advice when ordering, it works out a lot cheaper than that in the final wash up when you get the paypal invoice. I think I'll be waiting to see what Eduard come up with & buy it from Mike & John at MJW, though I've used Modelimex a heap of times too with complete satisfaction.

Steve.

Thanks Steve.

We had the most recent AZ Mk VIII in stock a few months ago but it took a good while to sell, so that combined with the fact that the Eduard Mk VIII will be out soon, helped us decide not to carry it in stock. We can always get currently available AZ kits if anyone wants them.

thanks

Mike

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 09/01/2017 at 6:14 AM, stevehnz said:

these guys, not only have it but will be cheaper too. Ignore their post advice when ordering, it works out a lot cheaper than that in the final wash up when you get the paypal invoice. I think I'll be waiting to see what Eduard come up with & buy it from Mike & John at MJW, though I've used Modelimex a heap of times too with complete satisfaction.

Steve.

Hi Steve, sorry to jump in here but I just placed my 1st order with Modelimex and got a nice 'Thank You!" page...but no mention of payment! I hit the PayPal button during the ordering process, but that was it -no Checkout process, nothing, zippo, nada! Is this normal, and can I expect a request for payment later? Any info greatly appreciated! Very Best.

Yes, you will get a Paypal request soon, their system doesn't seem to do an automatic calculation & the initial amount quoted is always for more than the final figure, their post prices are quite cheap, to New Zealand anyway compared to most other European merchants & I've never had a hiccup with an order from them. If you're buying something they have to order in, you might end up waiting a week or 4 but they've always turned up & generally you don't get the paypal invoice till they get it in.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
spelling. x2