new-tool 1/72 Airfix B-25C/D...yeehaw!

72modeler

1 hour ago, Steve N said:

I'm just glad the CADs show the nose glazing correct.  Hasegawa totally botched it on their B-25J.

SN

Missed that observation- have to pull one of my kits and see what the nose looks like. Off the top of your head, what were the nose issues as you saw them? ( Site adm,-Sorry if this is off-topic- start a new one?)

Mike

20 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Missed that observation- have to pull one of my kits and see what the nose looks like. Off the top of your head, what were the nose issues as you saw them? ( Site adm,-Sorry if this is off-topic- start a new one?)

Mike

Well, firstly they got the escape hatch framing on the left side wrong.

The real deal.. 

BriefingTime.jpg

..and Hasegawa's rendition.

100_3626.jpg

And what's worse, Hasegawa molded the inaccurate escape hatch on both side of the nose, when it should only be on the left. Again, here's what it should look like..

B-25J02.jpg

..and here's the Hasegawa nose.

100_3628.jpg

The left side is fixable with a bit of work, but the right side is hopeless.  The frames can't simply be sanded off, as they're engraved.  And even then, the lower edge of the glass has a step, where it should be a straight line.  Obviously Hasegawa simply got lazy and mirrored the CAD data when they designed the kit.  The made the same bonehead mistake on their B-24D, molding the cheek gun window on both sides of the nose, when it should only be on the left.  Fortunately that's an easy fix.  It amazes me how a big-name company like Hasegawa can produce beautiful, state-of-the-art kits, but make ridiculous basic design errors.

SN

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steve N said:

Well, firstly they got the escape hatch framing on the left side wrong.

The real deal.. 

BriefingTime.jpg

..and Hasegawa's rendition.

100_3626.jpg

And what's worse, Hasegawa molded the inaccurate escape hatch on both side of the nose, when it should only be on the left. Again, here's what it should look like..

B-25J02.jpg

..and here's the Hasegawa nose.

100_3628.jpg

The left side is fixable with a bit of work, but the right side is hopeless.  The frames can't simply be sanded off, as they're engraved.  And even then, the lower edge of the glass has a step, where it should be a straight line.  Obviously Hasegawa simply got lazy and mirrored the CAD data when they designed the kit.  The made the same bonehead mistake on their B-24D, molding the cheek gun window on both sides of the nose, when it should only be on the left.  Fortunately that's an easy fix.  It amazes me how a big-name company like Hasegawa can produce beautiful, state-of-the-art kits, but make ridiculous basic design errors.

SN

I see what you mean, Steve. Hadn't really looked hard at my Hasegawa/Revell B-25's as they're not on my immediate 'build' list. I think I'll see how the italeri nose transparency compares, although, IIRC, there is an issue with the cross-section and shape of that one, too. Guess I will also pull out my Falcon/True Details transparencies and see well they stack up against the Hasegawa kit. Might be better to wait and see how well the one on the new Airfix kit will be and make a vacform copy for a glass-nosed Hasegawa J.

I agree with your comments regarding silly mistakes- with the current scanning and measurement technology, numerous original or faithfully restored examples to study, and countless detail photos, there really isn't an excuse not to produce an accurate, well-engineered kit. Maybe the people involved are so far removed in age and/or experience that they've never been up close and personal with the real article, either static or in flight. There is a big difference between making a model compared to making a replica.

Thanks for the time and trouble you went to in answering my question!

Mike

We have my friend and modeling mentor, Bob Angel, to thank for the new Airfix kit, as he has been working on a B-25C conversion using the Hasegawa J and the Italeri C/D for quite a while. The last time he did something like this, he took one of the old Frog Ventura test shots and built a beautiful PV-1...then Academy released one that  while certainly not without its faults, was light years ahead of the Frog kit! I had been telling him to hurry up with his conversion so we can have a new release- he is NOT amused!

And once again the Britmodeller posse shows the incredible depth of knowledge and the willingness to share that knowledge to its truest extent.

Thank you to everyone for posting such detailed information on the B-25 from a complete newb to the type :worthy:

All the best

DC

• Like 1

3 hours ago, k5054nz said:

*crossing fingers for a PBJ-1J with wingtip radar pod* :D

Not likely from a C/D kit, but I feel the same: Oh yes. :wub:

But just in case Airfix doesn't do naval, I retained the parts from the Italeri kit to slap into the new plastic.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, k5054nz said:

*crossing fingers for a PBJ-1J with wingtip radar pod* :D

IIRC, Loon Models and Airkit did a1/72  PBJ radar pod in resin, but I'm pretty sure they are both OOP. I started a PBJ conversion years ago, using the Italeri B-25C/D, and IIRC, I used a reshaped tip tank from a Hasegawa F9F Panther. It was actually pretty easy. Maybe QB will do one when the Airfix kit comes out, along with the rectangular package gun pods that some of the PBJ's  carried.

Mike

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

IIRC, Loon Models and Airkit did a1/72  PBJ radar pod in resin, but I'm pretty sure they are both OOP. I started a PBJ conversion years ago, using the Italeri B-25C/D, and IIRC, I used a reshaped tip tank from a Hasegawa F9F Panther. It was actually pretty easy. Maybe QB will do one when the Airfix kit comes out, along with the rectangular package gun pods that some of the PBJ's  carried.

Mike

Mike West at Lone Star Models (http://www.lonestarmodels.com/index.html) makes the both the gun packs and radar pod

• Like 1

• 1 year later...