Got a can opener Babe? Update 02/07/17

Ozzy

I got a tamiya Panther D for Christmas, I've been thinking of how to I was going to display it all? Then I had a thought that I would do a Market Garden esk diorama, then I remembered watching the band of brothers series and a scene from one of those episodes from Holland. A little poetic license with a change of Tiger for a Panther.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrR_XjaGT40&sns=em

I was going to follow in Badders footsteps and do some casting, but then came across this building. The company are from Holland and they do some really good looking products, their Web site is down at the moment but sent them an E-mail and ordered this and a brick wall set.

e94dae00c0bf7bcc8d18a24438932763_zpstune

Can't wait to start.

• Like 4

Hi Ozzy,

Interesting building. Not sure it classes as a 'stronghold' though!  Still, I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

You do realise you can take moulds from it and make yourself countless 'spare parts' for other buildings?

I'm along for the ride. (Only I won't be sitting on the Sherman commanded by the stupid Brit!)

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Badder said:

Hi Ozzy,

Interesting building. Not sure it classes as a 'stronghold' though!  Still, I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

You do realise you can take moulds from it and make yourself countless 'spare parts' for other buildings?

I'm along for the ride. (Only I won't be sitting on the Sherman commanded by the stupid Brit!)

Rearguards,

Badder

Thanks Badder,

agreed more like a holiday home, I may have a go at doing some casting of my own during the build. Not sure how big it's all going to be yet as I'm going to get a Sherman to. It needs to be long enough as to get the angle that the panthers masked from sight. There's definitely some tree and hedge building going on too.

glad your along for the ride as I will be using some of your tips for trees etc.

ozzy 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Thanks Badder,

agreed more like a holiday home, I may have a go at doing some casting of my own during the build. Not sure how big it's all going to be yet as I'm going to get a Sherman to. It needs to be long enough as to get the angle that the panthers masked from sight. There's definitely some tree and hedge building going on too.

glad your along for the ride as I will be using some of your tips for trees etc.

ozzy 

No worries Ozzy, If I can give any advice or help, it would be an honour.

Just a thought..... As you aren't trying to replicate the BoB scene precisely, you don't need to be too true to the layout and can probably get away with closing the gap somewhat. However, another idea might be to create two separate dioramas, one with the Sherman and possibly the Cromwell (?) and some infantry, and the other with the Panther, but both dioramas can be placed side by side to create the larger scene?

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Badder said:

No worries Ozzy, If I can give any advice or help, it would be an honour.

Just a thought..... As you aren't trying to replicate the BoB scene precisely, you don't need to be too true to the layout and can probably get away with closing the gap somewhat. However, another idea might be to create two separate dioramas, one with the Sherman and possibly the Cromwell (?) and some infantry, and the other with the Panther, but both dioramas can be placed side by side to create the larger scene?

Rearguards,

Badder

I had the same thought as I was walking to town, to do two dioramas that can be joined together. This option will be easier on the shelf space too, it will also give me an excuse to build a Cromwell as I've never built one.

6 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

If you need any inspirational images ping me a PM.....Panther Ausf Ds weren't all that common in the west, so this will be an interesting project.  :coolio:  

Definitely sarge as most of my reference material are mainly tigger or Sherman books, so anything Panther would be much appreciated.

Some pictures of the building and some sizes on a tape measure to give an idea how big the structure is, photos curtesy of Marco Beer helmuth's strongholds models

0f93c448ba0b65f389c01e1e821f01ce_zpskajn

7f0e21887cbf7d4c95c38f4c0a91703b_zpsgjzh

A nice opportunity for a little interior design.  

• Like 8

That's a great looking kit Ozzy. Definitely one of the better ones I've seen. Having said that, I'm not sure how much in the photo is scratch-built and how much is from the kit.

I notice that the box art shows a truncated roof, while the photos show the rafters reaching the apex. I'm wondering which you will chose?

I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do. Flock wallpaper would be nice in the living room btw.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Badder said:

That's a great looking kit Ozzy. Definitely one of the better ones I've seen. Having said that, I'm not sure how much in the photo is scratch-built and how much is from the kit.

I notice that the box art shows a truncated roof, while the photos show the rafters reaching the apex. I'm wondering which you will chose?

I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do. Flock wallpaper would be nice in the living room btw.

Rearguards,

Badder

Kit was posted today, so will be here when I return from the states. I think the roof on the photos is scratched built as a web site I saw it on showed all elements of the kit, I've been looking at wall paper and flooring on the net. There are some intresting patterns about the width of the base is probably going to be around 50 cm, as the kit is 30 cm the Panther is 10cm I've got a haystack to build and maybe a mini art barn to?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PlaStix said:

This is going to make for a fascinating project. I'm in.......:popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix,

welcome aboard, it's going to keep me busy during 2017.

• Like 1

On 10/01/2017 at 3:19 PM, PlaStix said:

This is going to make for a fascinating project. I'm in.......

Me too, I've got a diorama idea bubbling away for later in the year and need to keep an close eye on some of these

8 hours ago, Avereda said:

Me too, I've got a diorama idea bubbling away for later in the year and need to keep an close eye on some of these

Good to have you along Avereda, my idea started with the thought of how to display a Panther. Ideas soon grow arms and legs.

On 14 January 2017 at 13:55, Bodmin said:

You never do things by half do you Ozzy. Where do you fit it all?

Thanks mate, if it's anything like my railway project it will keep me going for a while. As to where it's going to go I'm still working that one out, I need a big loft like yours.

• Like 1

Dropped into the office on my way home, it all came in a nice steady box with air bubble packaging. This is what was in the box, the casting is really nice. Can't wait to start.

7862e2865036ec50175a1b23319a2d59_zpsfz1y

1227c05121988e1192ccae9be968a07c_zpsjjx1

• Like 6

That does look really great Ozzy. Like you said - it does look nicely cast. Looking forward to seeing you work your magic on it! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

7862e2865036ec50175a1b23319a2d59_zpsfz1y

I bet it was like Christmas opening up that box Ozzy!

I don't know what it is about kit buildings but when mine arrived they got me more excited than any of the AFVs I've purchased. I think possibly it's because I know I can take mouldings from them and make LOTS of other buildings from them on the cheap?ot

I've 'quoted' the pic above though because if I were you I'd get rid of those two strikes under the window. They weren't  caused by small arms fire so I reckon the rounds would have gone straight through the wall, or would have knocked it down. A skim with Polyfilla or some putty and a bit of carving with a scalpel and no one would ever know they'd been there. Otherwise, the kit looks excellent.

Rearguards,

Badder :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, PlaStix said:

That does look really great Ozzy. Like you said - it does look nicely cast. Looking forward to seeing you work your magic on it! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thank Stix,

its my first plaster build since I was a kid, when I made buildings from using the sets you molded yourself. As well as two sections of garden wall, I've got a bonus rubble set too.

17 hours ago, Badder said:

I bet it was like Christmas opening up that box Ozzy!

I don't know what it is about kit buildings but when mine arrived they got me more excited than any of the AFVs I've purchased. I think possibly it's because I know I can take mouldings from them and make LOTS of other buildings from them on the cheap?ot

I've 'quoted' the pic above though because if I were you I'd get rid of those two strikes under the window. They weren't  caused by small arms fire so I reckon the rounds would have gone straight through the wall, or would have knocked it down. A skim with Polyfilla or some putty and a bit of carving with a scalpel and no one would ever know they'd been there. Otherwise, the kit looks excellent.

Rearguards,

Badder :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Defiantly like Christmas as my zimmermit and grill set also was there to, I think we get excited as its a little different. I had the same excitement when I built, the BR 86 as it was somthing I'd not done before. In regards to the damage I will probably do it for all shell/ bullet holes, as until the tanks turned the corner the village had not been exposed to the 2 way firing range of WW2.

13 hours ago, Bodmin said:

Loved the video clip.

Thanks Bodmin,

a picture definitely paints a 1,000 words, it gives me a reference and also allows those passing through to see what I'm trying to build. Also you can't beat a bit of Band of Brothers.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Avereda said:

Just been looking at this again, worryingly I now feel the need to find a book on Dutch vernacular architecture 

Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing? If you find out anything useful please let me know.

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/01/2017 at 1:29 PM, Ozzy said:

Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing? If you find out anything useful please let me know.

Nothing to worry about that's for sure. I use to record standing buildings for a living but after I packed it in my interest in buildings and architecture has withered somewhat. Seeing this building kit seems to have sparked some of my interest again - European vernacular in the first half of the twentieth century might be a pleasing path to follow.

• Like 2

On 9 February 2017 at 18:37, Avereda said:

Nothing to worry about that's for sure. I use to record standing buildings for a living but after I packed it in my interest in buildings and architecture has withered somewhat. Seeing this building kit seems to have sparked some of my interest again - European vernacular in the first half of the twentieth century might be a pleasing path to follow.

Thanks Avereda,

i will ill have a look into that area, as the house will be intact. So I will be looking for wall pare and furniture and all the bits on the outside.

As I was waiting for the pigments to dry off, I decided to have a look at the house and how it will look with the Panther next to it. It also gives me an idea of the size of base it will all sit on, there is a requirement to cast a wall for the side with the Panther against it.

157116edb15f20bb0fb0ed04d29da63e_zpsiw3l

ca3c37f21cff2c1453854045c778b294_zpslq9r

• Like 4