Got a can opener Babe? Update 02/07/17

Ozzy

Made a start on the farm house, I used the gorilla glue to stick it all together. There are some areas that require filling, which I will do when I have a go at casting a wall. The roof tiles are plus models 1/35 tiles, and I've used balsa wood and plastic card also. I've never built a plaster building before, so it's going to be an interesting challenge.

107e48f48d0f75ab813853694d6fbbe9_zpsm5nl

533be1eb0ded59019b60d2739f40f96d_zps9tzf

• Like 5

Hi Ozzy,

Great to see you've made a start on the construction of the building. I look forward to watching your progress.

The advantages with using cast plaster walls is that they are easier to carve details into, and easier to carve and sand in order to get them to fit together nicely. The disadvantage is that they aren't easy to produce true to the size and shape of the original and they will therefore require a lot more carving and sanding in order to get them to fit together nicely.:lol:

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Badder said:

Hi Ozzy,

Great to see you've made a start on the construction of the building. I look forward to watching your progress.

The advantages with using cast plaster walls is that they are easier to carve details into, and easier to carve and sand in order to get them to fit together nicely. The disadvantage is that they aren't easy to produce true to the size and shape of the original and they will therefore require a lot more carving and sanding in order to get them to fit together nicely.:lol:

Rearguards,

Badder

Thanks Badder,

the kit comes with one wall, I shall be using that to make my cast with. I'm going to use playdo as my mould, as we've got a few pots nocking about. The fit has been good in most areas and OK in others, my plan is to have a go next week as I've got the house to myself. So if I make a mess I won't get moaned at.

• Like 1

Hi Ozzy. Hope you are well. Good to see some progress on the farmhouse :thumbsup: and I'm looking forward to the RFI photos of your Zimmeritted Panther!

Hope you have a great weekend.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Ozzy. Hope you are well. Good to see some progress on the farmhouse :thumbsup: and I'm looking forward to the RFI photos of your Zimmeritted Panther!

Hope you have a great weekend.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix,

i thought I'd make a start, I've got a bit of casting to do during the build. Panther now in the RFI section, hope you have a great weekend to.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, scottbowsher said:

That scene always kind of annoyed me. Surely being able to see a Tiger counts as necessary damage? 

Regardless the building looks very impressive and I really like the roof tiles 

Mad as it sounds, they really were ordered not to damage or destroy buildings unless it was 'unavoidable'. The Sherman had next to no chance of knocking the Tiger out by firing 'through' the building. And actually, not much of a chance of knocking it out even if it was in the open.

Badder

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Badder said:

Mad as it sounds, they really were ordered not to damage or destroy buildings unless it was 'unavoidable'. The Sherman had next to no chance of knocking the Tiger out by firing 'through' the building. And actually, not much of a chance of knocking it out even if it was in the open.

Badder

I mean yeah I understand that a Sherman wouldn't have been able to do anything to the Tiger. I guess it was more the principle of the whole thing. :lol:

10 hours ago, Badder said:

Badder

Thats the British Military for you, they still use this mindset today. It was used for a number of years in Afghanistan, it was called courageous restraint. Like in 1944 it didn't really work, not that it would have made much difference but if the Cromwell crew. were paying a bit more attention they were in a better place to get a shot off.

• Like 2

A little progress, these are from a dragon set German Brandenburg Troops. I thought they would be good pair for an opportunist shoot rather than a fully set up tripod. With regards to the building I'm making slow progress, I may need to invest in a dermal or something along those lines for the sanding.

16c7ca9e7965a21138ea2c97a674cf04_zpsej8a

7112046df5cda2ceb0c32bad2a0623bf_zpsdtpc

6a5e47d9c794d33aa8b9b615eda473dc_zps06jm

• Like 4

I would like to take a seat if possible? This looks like a fantastic project. 

I'm also looking forward to the Cromwell. 

It's a really dynamic scene, I'm really fascinated to see how all this comes together. It's going to be big! Very big!

Great stuff :popcorn: 
TonyT

PS: Its just ridiculous - but I still haven't seen Band of Brothers. :confused:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Nice idea with the figures Ozzy - looking good! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix,

I've been looking for a suitable set for a while, then found this set that fitted the bill. I've got a bit of interior design to do next in the room, some wall paper, skirting boards, a ceiling and some glazing.

9 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

I would like to take a seat if possible? This looks like a fantastic project. 

I'm also looking forward to the Cromwell. 

It's a really dynamic scene, I'm really fascinated to see how all this comes together. It's going to be big! Very big!

Great stuff :popcorn: 
TonyT

PS: Its just ridiculous - but I still haven't seen Band of Brothers. :confused:

Thanks Tony,

good to have you along "it may take a while", the dio will be built in 2 halves rather than 1 large dio. I've not built a plaster building like this before so taking it slowly.

there are plenty of re-runs of the series,especially around Christmas time here in the UK. I didn't watch the original series when it fist aired in the uk, my cousin was on about the series he'd video'ed a couple of episodes I then went out and brought the box set. HBO also did a series called the Pacific which is on par with the band of brothers if not better.

• Like 2

Going by the two figures this's going to be a belter :thumbsup2: (now't to do for the rest of the day so it's back to back Band of Brothers)....I watched Pacific but for some reason i couldn't get into it the same way i did with Band of Brothers.

2 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

Going by the two figures this's going to be a belter :thumbsup2: (now't to do for the rest of the day so it's back to back Band of Brothers)....I watched Pacific but for some reason i couldn't get into it the same way i did with Band of Brothers.

Thanks Vince,

sounds like an afternoon well spent, a lot of people say that I think it's because we live in north west Europe and can associate more with the band of brothers. Also most documentarys focus on the fighting fron Normandy to Berlin, with only the odd one or two about the Pacific.

i didn't spend the afternoon watching the Band of brothers ( mores the pity), l decided to fit the window frames and fill in the marks on the wall. Then them a coat of paint to see what they look like.

6db12fac72f9e13c2900ba2c6d503f81_zpsevnx

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Vince1159 said:

Very well spent Ozzy,haven't watched it for ages...You could well be right about living in Northern Europe being the reason,lovely job on the frames....

Thanks Vince,

Good to hear you had an enjoyable afternoon, ive not watched the series for ages too, just been to town to buy some balsa wood for a celling and various roof bits. I've  also worked out an old woodland scenics box will make perfect glazing. That's my weekend planned.

• Like 1

Got a bit of scratch building done today, the roof is getting there, I ran out of baton for the roof tiles. The windows are from miniart, looking at the photos they need to come out more to level them off.

fb575b26c3edfe66ebd0916bb56372ca_zpszbzg

dd0fadf330fcbc29c17deee9fcf63509_zpsg2xn

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vince1159 said:

Your weekend's been a lot more productive than mine Ozzy,lovely job mate...

Thanks Vince,

the house will be a little less productive, as I'm back to work on Monday. Hopefully I will maintain a steady output in the weeks to come.

On ‎21‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 9:12 AM, Ozzy said:

there are plenty of re-runs of the series,especially around Christmas time here in the UK. I didn't watch the original series when it fist aired in the uk, my cousin was on about the series he'd video'ed a couple of episodes I then went out and brought the box set. HBO also did a series called the Pacific which is on par with the band of brothers if not better.

I watched the original broadcasts of BoB religiously, and later bought the box set. In my opinion BoB is the best thing that's ever been on TV. The interviews with, and the comments made by those who are actually portrayed in the series are extremely moving and I am not ashamed to say that I cried a few times. I live just a few miles from Membury, from where the 101st Airborne departed for France and I've paid my respects at the several memorials dotted around the region.

Pacific is also a moving and fitting tribute to those who, in my opinion, fought through even more hellish situations, although I have to say the dragging out of the 'romance' story at the beginning is a bit of a bug-bear of mine. They could have cut out an hour or more in the first few episodes and really made it a masterpiece.

As for your progress:

Great work on the building. It's certainly an interesting build, what with the layout and the varied materials. I feel I know the MiniArt windows personally, having. used a few of them for my current project. Make sure you stick the glass on the correct side!

Can I suggest that you stick the building down on a large piece of paper? I use graph paper, but something of that thickness is ideal. I used the graph paper to keep everything square and true, but the added bonus is that it protects the bottom of the building from damage, especially if you've got plaster walls! I fixed my building down with mediuam CA. The graph paper sets hard where it's been glued and, again, helps protect and strengthen the building's 'foundations'.. Of course the excess paper can be cut away easily when it comes to fixing the building to the dio base.

Rearguards,

Badder 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Badder said:

I watched the original broadcasts of BoB religiously, and later bought the box set. In my opinion BoB is the best thing that's ever been on TV. The interviews with, and the comments made by those who are actually portrayed in the series are extremely moving and I am not ashamed to say that I cried a few times. I live just a few miles from Membury, from where the 101st Airborne departed for France and I've paid my respects at the several memorials dotted around the region.

Pacific is also a moving and fitting tribute to those who, in my opinion, fought through even more hellish situations, although I have to say the dragging out of the 'romance' story at the beginning is a bit of a bug-bear of mine. They could have cut out an hour or more in the first few episodes and really made it a masterpiece.

As for your progress:

Great work on the building. It's certainly an interesting build, what with the layout and the varied materials. I feel I know the MiniArt windows personally, having. used a few of them for my current project. Make sure you stick the glass on the correct side!

Can I suggest that you stick the building down on a large piece of paper? I use graph paper, but something of that thickness is ideal. I used the graph paper to keep everything square and true, but the added bonus is that it protects the bottom of the building from damage, especially if you've got plaster walls! I fixed my building down with mediuam CA. The graph paper sets hard where it's been glued and, again, helps protect and strengthen the building's 'foundations'.. Of course the excess paper can be cut away easily when it comes to fixing the building to the dio base.

Rearguards,

Badder 

Thanks Badder,

got to agree with them cutting an amount of the Melbourne scenes.

thanks for the graph tip, I was going to use the force to level it all up. The graph paper makes perfect sence, I've had problems before sticking clear plastics to miniart kits, it's taken a while but got there in the end. I'm looking forward to putting the roof tiles on, I just need to cast that wall to finish off the structure, I need to pop down to hobby craft to pick some bits up.

7 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

thanks for the graph tip, I was going to use the force to level it all up. The graph paper makes perfect sence, I've had problems before sticking clear plastics to miniart kits, it's taken a while but got there in the end. I'm looking forward to putting the roof tiles on, I just need to cast that wall to finish off the structure, I need to pop down to hobby craft to pick some bits up.

Hi Ozzy,

For the 'glass' I used transparent plastic used in packaging. Of course, there are many different kinds of plastic, some of which glue better than others, so I gathered a few and tested them first. I simply took bits of sprue from the MiniArt kit and CA'd (medium) them to the different plastics, then chose the best. 

As I said, I use medium CA to fix the 'glass' to the backs of the window frames, carefully applying blobs to the corners of the frames and spreading it along the edges with a toothpick.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Badder said:

Hi Ozzy,

For the 'glass' I used transparent plastic used in packaging. Of course, there are many different kinds of plastic, some of which glue better than others, so I gathered a few and tested them first. I simply took bits of sprue from the MiniArt kit and CA'd (medium) them to the different plastics, then chose the best. 

As I said, I use medium CA to fix the 'glass' to the backs of the window frames, carefully applying blobs to the corners of the frames and spreading it along the edges with a toothpick.

Rearguards,

Badder

Thanks Badder,

for the glazing ive got a old woodland scenics box I'm going to chop up, for the lower part of the building is plaster and balsa wood. This area should be ok, I've got a little stash of mini art bits that have built up. I will give it a go to see if it sticks, for the remainder of the filling I'm going to use some DAS as hopefully there will be less to sand down.

• Like 1