Hobby Boss Fw190 C v-18 - missing exhaust fairings!

Troy Smith

this got mentioned here

10385592p.jpg

Fair warning to anyone considering this kit, it is missing the fairings around the exhaust pipes on the fuselage and upper wings. The plastic in the box is just like the test shot build up, not like the box art

15092502omochi89.jpg

this is the real thing, note fairings

4188ab2fd80261c5fd743f7b3e5cec67.jpg

I'm posting  this as Creative Models have this on their weekly specials

http://www.creativemodels.co.uk/hobbyboss_148_fw_190_v18-p-44451.html

and if there suggestions on how to make the missing fairings....

it is perhaps worth noting that the basic airframe could be used for other C   series prototypes, not an area I know much about though, RV Resin did a whole family of beautiful resin kits and conversion fuselages,  which are OOP so this might be useful for these.

cheers

T

• 4 years later...

Hello
Sadly HB never corrected this omission! I live in China & found a contact of one of their representatives, wrote to him with the offer to send all the available info... but they didn't seem too interested.
I am wondering if anyone out there has ever created some correction for this kit? I could not find anything online
Best,
Milos

@Troy Smith,

I was thinking you might use lead foil to make the missing exhaust pipe fairings. The foil is soft and you could easily emboss the fasteners/rivets/panel lines and roll the finished fairing over a suitable round object to get the needed curvature. Attach with a few dots of cyanoacrylate on the backside. I used plasticard on the 1/72 conversion I did years ago of the Fw-190V19, GH+KT, but in  the photos I had available, it looked like there was a sheet metal shield, not a fairing.

Mike

• Like 2

Once Covid restriction of traveling is gone in year or two (I live in China at the moment) I might bring my R.V. Resin model & use it to create something in that area for Hobby Boss based on that resin kit. I am not really great with Resin works myself especially when it come to complete kits... so R.V. Resin kit just sits home awaiting the day when I will be brave enough to jump on it.