FW 190A - 8

Starfighter

Hi everyone,

I've been given an Eduard 1/48 Focke Wulf  FW190A 8/R2 kit for Christmas, and I was wondering if it would be possible to back date the kit to an earlier version of the A8 series.  If so, perhaps someone with more knowledge of this version might be able to help me ?   :cheers:

Not my scale, but I will venture a guess until the aficionados log on!

IIRC, the main changes associated with the R-8 was external armor plates added on either side of the cockpit, exrta aromored glass panels on the sliding part of the hood, Mk108 30mm cannon in the outer bays with blisters on the wings to accommodate the ammo feed, and some aircraft had the cowling guns removed and their blast troughs and blisters removed or replaced by plates.

I think the profipak version of your kit (If that is the boxing you have) comes with two sets of fuselage halves- one set with and one without the fuselage armor plates, as well as wings that can be fitted with or without the Mk108 cannon and blisters, as well as  upper cowling panels with or without guns and blisters. Since all of the other parts needed to make an Fw-190A-8 are included in the kit, you can build other sub variants of the  A8. If you have the week end edition boxing of the R-8, I'm not sure if it has both fuselages- if not, you can sand off the external fuselage armor panels and fair in the upper gun troughs and blisters if both sets of cowling panels arent't included. All boxings come with canopies for every version, so just use the one without the extra armor glass panels.

Not being an Fw-190 expert, I have probably missed some items, but somebody will arrive shortly to set us both straight. I have attached a link to details on all Fw-190A variants prepared by IPMS Stockholm, which should be helpful. Good luck- enjoy your freebie!

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2004/11/stuff_eng_fw190_01.htm

Mike

3 hours ago, Starfighter said:

Hi everyone,

I've been given an Eduard 1/48 Focke Wulf  FW190A 8/R2 kit for Christmas, and I was wondering if it would be possible to back date the kit to an earlier version of the A8 series.  If so, perhaps someone with more knowledge of this version might be able to help me ?   :cheers:

have a look at the Eduard site, as they have sprues shots and pdf's of the instructions, 

this is the standard A-8

https://www.eduard.com/store/Eduard/Fw-190A-8-1-48-1-6.html

this is the A-8/R2

https://www.eduard.com/store/Eduard/Fw-190A-8-R2-1-48-1.htm

a quick compare,  looks like the R2 kit has an extra fuselage sprue with added armour.

HTH

T

• Like 1

I had exactly the same thing in mind as what Troy suggested (comparing the instructions for the different kits).  Even if you can not back date the 190 to what you want, you might see an interesting marking scheme for yours.

Yeah as the above have said, 

if you have the a8/r2 kit that has two sets of fuselages in it (one with armour and one without) then yeah you can make a std a8 out of it. Just follow the std a8 instructions as everything else is in the box. You will just need to source markings. Pay attention to those too as they may list features specific to the plane you are building... 

Just to add something - You can download instructions from Eduard's website. It might be helpful to download the instructions for the Standard A-8 profipack kit and then you can follow them and see what the differences are while you build it up.

thanks

Mike

Thanks for the info, guys. I've downloaded the instructions as suggested by Mikemx, and I understand the bit about the two fuselages ( the A8/R2 having the armoured one ) but I'm wondering about the ejection chutes under the wing, as they appear to be slightly different, although not too difficult to alter ?