BF 109-E3 BoB 1/72 **restored image links**

Afternoon BM's. The Christmas Break has enabled me to complete some models that have been on the go for a while now. This one is Airfix's recent tooling of Messerschmitt's BF 109-E3 from the Battle of Britain 75th Anniversary set:

IMG_1587.jpg

Not a lot to say about this one other than that I added rivet detail (which although a bit drunk, I've now got a nearly fool-proof method), painted the engine, posed with the flaps down and added a swastika decal for period accuracy. As this was from a gift set, the decals were minimal compared to a previous Emil I have already done but that meant it was far quicker to complete that part for a change :) .

Hope you enjoy, comments, questions, critique always welcomed. James. 

IMG_1588.jpg
IMG_1590.jpg
IMG_1592.jpg
IMG_1593.jpg
IMG_1594.jpg
IMG_1595.jpg
IMG_1596.jpg
IMG_1597.jpg
IMG_1598.jpg
IMG_1599.jpg
IMG_1600.jpg

Pared with one of my very early attempts of the same kit:

IMG_1601.jpg
IMG_1602.jpg
IMG_1603.jpg

Edited by Victory-is-in-the-Kitchen
Updating image links
  • Like 21

Beautiful duo! Congrat!

I am still skeptical about riveting the hell out of a 1/72 kit, but the result is quite impressive, if possibly somewhat over-done in my eyes.

I definitely would chicken out of it at such a small scale!

Well done

JR

• Like 1

Rivetting looks good, the only thing with that is to make sure you get the rear fuselage join line top and bottom (the fuselage sections were C shaped and not O) and I'm not sure, but the prop seems the wrong way around?

Really like the stippling on the Richthofen 109. A nice pair

• Like 1

1 hour ago, russ c said:

Really nice `109`s there, great job(s)

Thanks again Russ

1 hour ago, invidia said:

Nice looking build, the rivets really finish it. Well done 

I do like them on them on the 109. Like Zero's and Hellcat's etc some planes just need them IMO as they don;t look quite right without them.

30 minutes ago, jean said:

Beautiful duo! Congrat!

I am still skeptical about riveting the hell out of a 1/72 kit, but the result is quite impressive, if possibly somewhat over-done in my eyes.

I definitely would chicken out of it at such a small scale!

Well done

JR

Cheer's JR. I nearly did as well but I wanted to learn how to do them and as above to Invidia, I feel the 109 'needs' them.

23 minutes ago, Parabat said:

Rivetting looks good, the only thing with that is to make sure you get the rear fuselage join line top and bottom (the fuselage sections were C shaped and not O) and I'm not sure, but the prop seems the wrong way around?

Really like the stippling on the Richthofen 109. A nice pair

With the camo line? Yes, I couldn't decide. So the Richtofen is correct? Damn it... the props on the wrong way round!! Will have to fix that.

40 minutes ago, polo1112 said:

A really beautiful Emil !

Great job there!

I would say it looks like a 1/48.

Bravo. Polo.:clap2:

Cheers Polo Sir!

36 minutes ago, Parabat said:

Hmmm, not the camo line, no. The fuselage halves were split down the middle like this;

14120815691_a77375e4c3_b.jpg

Ah. Gotcha. OK thanks for the tip, at least next time I build a 109 I won't have to work so hard with the filler/sanding on the seams :) 

Edited by Victory-is-in-the-Kitchen
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, kapam said:

Fabulous work, Mate! 

Would love to know more about your "fool-proof method" for the rivets. 

You're not implying you have to be drunk to do them are you? :lol:

Thanks Kapam.

Ha! No, although after one wing it'd certainly give encouragement to continue with the next!

I messed around a couple of times with running the tool alongside some electrical tape, placing only after undercoating the entire model. I wasn't getting the results I wanted, and although I thought the tape would help achieve a straighter line, it simply wasn't. In the end I used the tape as a basis to mark with pencil, then carefully used the rivet tool to press down the pencil line. This worked far, far better.

6 hours ago, Mark4700 said:

Fantastic work. It looks like a much larger scale. :thumbsup:

Thank you Mark.

• Like 1

On ‎21‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 4:54 AM, Victory-is-in-the-Kitchen said:

In the end I used the tape as a basis to mark with pencil, then carefully used the rivet tool to press down the pencil line. This worked far, far better.

Thanks for expanding on your technique.  I've never tried it, but I may consider buying a riveting tool one day.