Hello BM's, let me present to you my latest effort in the 1/72 scale - Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1a by Airfix.

IMG_1559.jpg

Built out of the box and I made the following modifications:

1. Added rivets using my new :) riveting tool

2. Removed opaque gun sight and replaced with translucent packaging

3. Made my usual masking tape seat belts

4. Added antenna wire made from elastic clothing thread which I'm not overly happy with. Any suggestions on a good, to scale, product?

Pros:

1. Looks like a Spitfire to me!

2. On the whole builds well with the exception of some seam troubles on the fuselage

3. Great detail in the cockpit

Cons:

1. Panel lines are far too deep for my liking

2. Decals are quite thick

On the whole quite happy with the end result although next time would rethink how to tackle the wash on those deep panel lines... too pronounced for me, especially on the underside and rear fuselage. Comments, critique readily encouraged as I'm always striving to jump to the next level.

James

IMG_1560.jpg
IMG_1561.jpg
IMG_1562.jpg
IMG_1563.jpg
IMG_1564.jpg
IMG_1565.jpg
IMG_1566.jpg
IMG_1567.jpg
IMG_1568.jpg
IMG_1569.jpg
IMG_1570.jpg
IMG_1571.jpg
IMG_1576.jpg
IMG_1577.jpg
IMG_1578.jpg
IMG_1579.jpg

Next to my original Spitfire built when I first started the hobby again. This is the old tooling from the Duxfords Legends set.

IMG_1581.jpg
IMG_1582.jpg
IMG_1583.jpg

Some other shots from the other models in the BoB 75th Anniversary set:

IMG_1584.jpg
IMG_1585.jpg

WIP: 

Edited by Victory-is-in-the-Kitchen
Restored photo links
  • Like 23

Great looking Spitfire there James, hope you don`t mind but you said about making the panel lines less pronounced, maybe use a olive drab, grey or brown wash ?

I use a mechanical pencil, 0.6mm HB lead to do mine then dry brush olive drab or grey into them to tone them back, should be easy to do on those more pronounced lines on the Airfix kit. Hope this helps. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, russ c said:

Great looking Spitfire there James, hope you don`t mind but you said about making the panel lines less pronounced, maybe use a olive drab, grey or brown wash ?

I use a mechanical pencil, 0.6mm HB lead to do mine then dry brush olive drab or grey into them to tone them back, should be easy to do on those more pronounced lines on the Airfix kit. Hope this helps. 

Hi Russ, thanks - pencil is a good idea. I'm currently using oil paint and turps to get the effect I want but on this one it was just too much. I'll have a go with that next time. Thank you again. 

28 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

A lovely Spitfire and a great collection.  I really like the weathering and the way you've toned the paintwork.

Thanks Meatbox, I do enjoy the weathering stages! I'm experimenting a bit with the airbrush and I've since found that I can create some really stark highlights which can be nicely leveled and toned down with Clear. Before I applied the green camo it looked like it was about to do a tour in desert storm :)

IMG_1517_zps9icwizgh.jpg

• Like 1

A beautiful Spitfire from the battle of Britain.

Great painting work, but if you allow me, I find that the panel lines are a bit overdone,

particularly in 1/72 scale; but that's only me!

Great job!!!:clap2:

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, polo1112 said:

A beautiful Spitfire from the battle of Britain.

Great painting work, but if you allow me, I find that the panel lines are a bit overdone,

particularly in 1/72 scale; but that's only me!

Great job!!!:clap2:

Thanks Polo, very kind. The panels lines are overdone. Next time I'll try Russ's suggestions of using a pencil to define or different colour oil wash... or i may get the MilliPut out!

• Like 1

I really like that. Looks good nose-to-nose with the 109!

As for the panel lines, why not just ignore them on a future model? The problem with some of these kits is that they almost demand that you fill in their exaggerated trenches with oil washes or whatever. And it's fashionable too. I fell into that trap with my Spit too. But I've just finished the Airfix Zero and this time decided to leave them alone. In some ways it makes the model look less 'detailed' but at the same time you could say it's also more in scale. It also depends on the subject. Looking at your last photo, the panel line washes suit the Messerschmitt better than the Spitfire. 

But whatever, you've produced some outstanding models there.

• Like 1

That's a great piece of work but, as others have said, don't bother with the panel lines especially as the Airfix Spitfire has pretty pronounced one.

Here's a (public domain) photograph of the real thing (albeit a MkXI):

The the only obvious panel lines are either moveable bits (like the rudder) or removeable (like the engine panels).

Having said all this, I'm a mediocre modeller who paints with a brush and is too lazy to even do any form of wash... I can only hope to be able to achieve what you have so, please, don't let me comments put you off of sharing more of your builds.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, IanC said:

I really like that. Looks good nose-to-nose with the 109!

As for the panel lines, why not just ignore them on a future model? The problem with some of these kits is that they almost demand that you fill in their exaggerated trenches with oil washes or whatever. And it's fashionable too. I fell into that trap with my Spit too. But I've just finished the Airfix Zero and this time decided to leave them alone. In some ways it makes the model look less 'detailed' but at the same time you could say it's also more in scale. It also depends on the subject. Looking at your last photo, the panel line washes suit the Messerschmitt better than the Spitfire. 

But whatever, you've produced some outstanding models there.

Hi IanC, I couldn't resist the shot with the 109 ;) 

I do like panel lines on models but this is the first time where I feel they're overdone. You're quite right in that you feel you must accentuate as that's 'what's done' right when modelling. There are a few shots of the Spit in the WIP just prior to washing and looking back at them I wish I'd selectively picked out the lines as to Beards comment below. Thanks for taking the time to put your thoughts down though and look forward to seeing the Zero on here.

Cheers, James.

11 hours ago, Beard said:

That's a great piece of work but, as others have said, don't bother with the panel lines especially as the Airfix Spitfire has pretty pronounced one.

Here's a (public domain) photograph of the real thing (albeit a MkXI):

The the only obvious panel lines are either moveable bits (like the rudder) or removeable (like the engine panels).

Having said all this, I'm a mediocre modeller who paints with a brush and is too lazy to even do any form of wash... I can only hope to be able to achieve what you have so, please, don't let me comments put you off of sharing more of your builds.

Thanks Beard, and it's certainly made me think more about how I tackle them in the future and that's what's really great about the forum, you get honest feedback which helps you improve. I can't see the photo of the XI? Anyway, far from putting me off sharing, if anything it encourages me to share more! Grateful for your comment!

10 hours ago, WildeSau75 said:

Great collection - I like them all. Especially like the Me 109.

Cheers,

Michael

Thank you Sir!

6 minutes ago, Victory-is-in-the-Kitchen said:

Thanks Beard, and it's certainly made me think more about how I tackle them in the future and that's what's really great about the forum, you get honest feedback which helps you improve. I can't see the photo of the XI? Anyway, far from putting me off sharing, if anything it encourages me to share more! Grateful for your comment!

I noticed that the photo has gone too. Let's try again; fit doesn't work (again), it's from the Wikipedia page on the Spitfire.

Edited by Beard
It didn't work, stupid iPad.