Heller 1/8 traction avant cabriolet conversion

kpnuts

Think I've bitten off more than I can chew I'm on version 8 of the canvas roof and still can't seem to get it right (the mechanism works) it's the sewing of it and keeping it taut, it always seems to sag in the middle and my stitching always looks hideous. Not sure I will be able to finish this with a working roof 

Then have the 'roof' in the folded position mate ;)....we all have these moments of pure frustration....walk away....come back later....try again....and again....and......

What material are you using?

Ron

Thanks Ron the material is one of my missus tops it has the right look and is very stretchy which I thought would make things easier trouble is my last version almost had the sag out but it was stretched so much it was becoming transparent also it was starting to bend the wire I was using as the frame, I may have to try a different top my first attempt was with one of her cotton tops which was cream an went well with the seats but the weave just looked to big in that scale.

My suggestion would be linen as opposed to cotton....less 'stretchy'....but has better strength...so won't tend to 'sag'...other option is 'Egyptian' cotton...which comes in a wide range of weights....and you could even dye it to a chosen shade ;)

I have always found that...what 'looks' right isn't always the best option....keep an open mind when looking for materials :)

Ron

Hi all another update, the canvas roof is causing me lots of problems, so much so it may end up with a non working roof and just have it displayed in the open position. The bonnet and wings are not fixed just positioned to see how much giggling I will need to do to get a good fit, the bonnet is supposed to be fitted with a piece of rubber on my first build it proved to be a very bad system which tended to come unglued after it had been opened a couple of times, I bought a piano hinge for that job instead, I'm having to keep shaving bits off the front grill to stop it fouling the grill (very slow job as I don't want to shave too much off and have a gap between the grill and the bonnet) with a little forethought I should have cut the hinge a little shorter.
2i73ccy.jpg
iw3loi.jpg
2qx6mph.jpg
2j674p4.jpg
1zf4qdj.jpg
35b71pd.jpg
Here's my first build of this at a similar stage.
rfNHLZv.jpg
jFRc7sm.jpg
OPT5Bzy.jpg
KriADth.jpg
  • Like 1

Hi all got the doors on and made some door pockets for them, still have to do the catches to keep the doors shut but liking it so far.
2h6sx87.jpg
k3kpd0.jpg
2uhoher.jpg
  • Like 1

Hi all here is another update (I'm afraid I've given up on a working hood so it will be fixed in this position in the finished thing

34rc2ud.jpg
301jygo.jpg
2u8dkes.jpg
wwcenm.jpg
  • Like 1

Hi all nearly at the end now, there are so many more things I could add to this but I think I will just finish it as it is, I must say I much preferred the first build of it and I think it's more interesting to look at when I build the next one it will be in more of a state than the first one.
2qmp308.jpg
2ur4806.jpg
2yngfew.jpg
2n89f12.jpg
2qlwy8j.jpg
122kj2x.jpg
333vhi9.jpg
  • Like 1

On 20/04/2017 at 8:17 PM, kpnuts said:
 the next one it will be in more of a state than the first one.

You're going to build another one?????

Hi Ken, although the colours would not be my choice, the end result is nice. I hope you enjoyed creating this model.

apparently you did, as you seem to planning number 3...

• 4 weeks later...