Heller 1/8 traction avant cabriolet conversion

kpnuts

Hi all well ive made a start on this mamoth project, unfortunately no pics yet as no internet or phone, and it sounds like we wont be getting it back any time soon, i will post pics as soon as we can borrow someones internet. 

This is going to be the polar opposite of my last build and will be blinged up to the max, the engine will be pristine and shiny with some mild suping up (thanks to roy fitzimonds lovely 1/8 twin choke webber carbs) i was going to use all three but can't figure out how to realistically modify the manifold so will just be using one of them, i also have a set of his dunlop racing wheels for it. The body will also be ultra shiney, still unsure whether to sort of hot rod it and leave the front wings off or not, will have to give that some serious thought. In tandem with this im also building monograms 1/8 65 corvette stingray, i may do opening doors like roys or not, not sure if i want all the extra work. Anyways i hope to post some pics soon.

Thanks, it is a big kit when complete but it's the journey I love, the first one is on the spares shelf (not reached the drawer yet but heading there) it truly is a superb kit, the instructions are rubbish but with roys cd its easy and you won't find a more detailed 1/8 kit for the money.

• Like 1

Hi all well I've glued some of the body together as I need to figure out what portion of and how I'm going to cut the roof off (that's a 1/24 mustang on the roof just to show how big this thing is) 
34t60d1.jpg
24wrrx4.jpg
nvr3uo.jpg
  • Like 1

Hi all here is the next update, put the beading round the rear wheel arches, couldn't then resist seeing what the colour would look like so gave it a quick coat.

2cglycn.jpg

1hsdg0.jpg

2nriyrd.jpg

1zld2ts.jpg

21czhmv.jpg

xogspf.jpg

28h3j1i.jpg

I have to say I think my other build was more interesting to look at, the weathering and oil staining give something more to look at, I think I will post some of the similar build pics together as this progresses to show what I mean.

28XMQ70.jpg

iuXEfoD.jpg

J50Hmvl.jpg

oJsK3wG.jpg

• Like 1

Hi all I remember on the last build putting the driveshafts in at the allocated time was a real pain so I decided to do them now (I'm hoping that choice doesn't bite me in the tender area later.
315e4cw.jpg
nleu0p.jpg
30agr9x.jpg
11w4qi1.jpg

• Like 1

Hi all, well I've done it, the roofs gone (hope I can make the canvas roof for it.
wlrkt5.jpg
15we551.jpg
1zgb0yf.jpg
2hi5f09.jpg
2uogwlz.jpg
voaj37.jpg
I'm going to use the cut out roof as a template for making the ribs for the canvas part.

• Like 2

Hi all here is the framework for the canvas roof (the nuts and bolts won't stay the final version will have a plastic pin) I may try a version using piano wire as the copper wire is very soft, it may stiffen up a bit when the canvas is stitched to it (that I think is going to be a nightmare, not known for my sewing skills)
Need to make a couple of of ribs for the middle section.
303jy20.jpg
256woz6.jpg
2rz8aww.jpg

• Like 3

Hi all here is another update on this.
From my experience of building this kit before it is critical that this piece is glued totally square and true if you don't want bonnet fitting problems.
As you can see from the pics with a little effort you can get a perfect fit.
210aq85.jpg
2d0xs07.jpg
2uepvm8.jpg
96i1hl.jpg
bhbmmb.jpg
On my first build this part was out only by about a half a mill and when I fitted the bonnet there was a 5 mil gap at the top which I could not get rid of, after days of investigation scratching my head and swearing it turned out this was the problem, of course I had got a lot further on in the build and it caused me a lot of problems to sort it out.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all here is another update, I decided to give it a wood veneered dashboard
IMG_20170213_135801667251324.jpg
Think it looks nicer than the bog standard dash
fqJWZbd.jpg
Just for added interest here is the new shiney chassis and engine bay.
2ytxyex.jpg
2irkzmg.jpg
And here is the old battered one
njhR3Zh.jpg
GHn6O4s.jpg
V3W4ZgJ.jpg

• Like 1

Hi all finished the steering rack (still needs weathering) and installed the dashboard.
2qs8bpf.jpg
213hwfk.jpg
a3m360.jpg
2zxmcuh.jpg
Not sure what to do with the steering  wheel the interior seats and maybe the door panels (still not sure on them ) but definitely the seats will be cream leather as I think it will look really luxurious with the purple and gold, so should the steering wheel be white, cream, wood or black also should that be the whole steering wheel or just the rim. Baring in mind the paint work will be like the K1
K2JCAcR.jpg

I'd go for a matching cream or wood for the steering wheel. With the spokes in gold, following the rest of the design. Alternative would be completely wood.

As I don't know the kit - is the body metal or plastic? The cuts in the roof look so sharp that I thought it possibly was a die-cast.

Hi all been attaching some of the many wires and pipes to the engine and weathered the engine a bit more ( don't want it to look like it neglected but thought it looked too clean)

fn7ndc.jpg

ejshv8.jpg

2nv8hzc.jpg

2vvqgxd.jpg

25jwmyr.jpg