Su-9 and other early Russian jets- RBFT's?

neilh

Jets are rare builds for me, but when  I do I like to add a few RBFT's and maybe FOD covers for realism, as you seldom seem to see a parked jet without at least some in place.  I'm about to finish off A Trumpeter SU-9, and looking at lots of (grainy) photos on line, I can't see much evidence of streamers hanging from any U/C or stores. Anyone know if the USSR used tags in this period ands if so what they looked like? Museum aircraft don't have them showing up either ( not surprisingly I guess)?

Wish more boarding ladders were available for all sorts of early jets. Apart from maybe Meteors, Vampires and Venoms, 1950's and 60's jets seem to have boarding ladders, and although they can be scratchbuilt, its not that easy.

They tended to have red covers - over pitots and aerials and such - but they were all joined together with a long chord.

Once you removed the first on, you followed the chord and collected the next cover - etc - this helped to prevent the groundcrews missing any.

I ftted some - joined with flat dental floss - to my 1/32nd Trumpeter Su-27.....

trumpflank_36.jpg

Here's a MiG-29 at Lipetsk - with the nose pitot cover joined to an aerial, then to the IRST lens cover.....

day_02_06.jpg

You can just about make out the 'string' joining the vent cover to the three sensors by the City of Kaluga emblem in this photo of a Tu-95MS wot I photographed at Engels.....

day04_004.jpg

Some individual covers on a Yak-130..... note the 'string on the red-and-white pitot cover..........

day02_023.jpg

HTH....

Ken

3 hours ago, neilh said:

Wish more boarding ladders were available for all sorts of early jets. Apart from maybe Meteors, Vampires and Venoms, 1950's and 60's jets seem to have boarding ladders, and although they can be scratchbuilt, its not that easy.

Boarding ladders on SU-7B...SU-17...MIG-23/27....and SU-24 were almost identical, detail see in post Boroda It is added May 02, 2016 11:36 am:
"There differences in nuances which in the 72nd scale aren't critical... and in general a step-ladder same on SU-7B...SU-17...MIG-23/27....and SU-24"

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_t_15037_start_360.html

Therefore it is possible to assume that ladders of SU-7B and SU-9 were or are identical, or had insignificant distinctions.

B.R.

Serge

3 hours ago, Flankerman said:

They tended to have red covers - over pitots and aerials and such - but they were all joined together with a long chord.

Once you removed the first on, you followed the chord and collected the next cover - etc - this helped to prevent the groundcrews missing any.

I ftted some - joined with flat dental floss - to my 1/32nd Trumpeter Su-27.....

trumpflank_36.jpg

Here's a MiG-29 at Lipetsk - with the nose pitot cover joined to an aerial, then to the IRST lens cover.....

day_02_06.jpg

You can just about make out the 'string' joining the vent cover to the three sensors by the City of Kaluga emblem in this photo of a Tu-95MS wot I photographed at Engels.....

day04_004.jpg

Some individual covers on a Yak-130..... note the 'string on the red-and-white pitot cover..........

day02_023.jpg

HTH....

Ken

Hi Ken,

Thanks for those. They certainly don't festoon theirs like Western jets! Do you know if the same arrangements ( cord and flags) were used in the 1960's era, on the earlier jets?  Many pictures are B&W and contrasty so  really hard to tell.

Edited by neilh
missed a bit off

2 hours ago, Aardvark said:

Boarding ladders on SU-7B...SU-17...MIG-23/27....and SU-24 were almost identical, detail see in post Boroda It is added May 02, 2016 11:36 am:
"There differences in nuances which in the 72nd scale aren't critical... and in general a step-ladder same on SU-7B...SU-17...MIG-23/27....and SU-24"

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_t_15037_start_360.html

Therefore it is possible to assume that ladders of SU-7B and SU-9 were or are identical, or had insignificant distinctions.

B.R.

Serge

Unfortunately mine is in 1/48th where not only nuances in appearance but my cack handed modelling ( potential for very wonky steps) will be very apparent :D

I;ve just had a look in Yefim Gordon's 'Sukhoi Interceptors SU-9, 11) and there are a few photos showing covers of various types on SU-9 and 11s. Of note are (presumably red) nose intake guards, which have radiating strengthening ribs and also cover the radome cone and come complete with the aircraft number painted on them. I also notice that the auxiliary intakes on the aft fuselage frequently appear to be covered.

Picture1_zpsj53ztsir.jpg

Thanks for those pics. I reckon the nose covers will be easy enough and the intake covers could be made with thin lead foil or tissue soaked in white glue. Certainly doesn't seem to be a plethora of red or any other colour ribbons hanging from pitots, U/C and weapon hard points!

22 hours ago, Flankerman said:

trumpflank_36.jpg

Nice touch with the bicycle ! Can't help but grin at how incongruous it looks next to the Flanker :)