Pocher Ducati

I LOVE that visible swept-area on the rotor. It actually looks hot from a hard blast.

As the whole assembly looks prototypical. Great feel for well-ridden 1:1 bikes. Next time the camera's out, take a shot from further back and with a reference in the pic for the sheer impact of its size - please?

11 hours ago, Codger said:

I LOVE that visible swept-area on the rotor. It actually looks hot from a hard blast.

As the whole assembly looks prototypical. Great feel for well-ridden 1:1 bikes. Next time the camera's out, take a shot from further back and with a reference in the pic for the sheer impact of its size - please?

Many thanks Mr C :)

Reality is born from the small details IMHO....although it's getting harder to come up with new layers of details and effects to include in this beast :wall:

Will see what I can come up with for suitable size comparison for ya ;)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, vandellyn said:

As someone who has built the Ducati pretty much to stock, and shows it with pride in its case, I am in awe of the quality of your skills. It makes mine look like a Dinky!

Bravo!

That is a very nice compliment :)

I know my build style is not to everyone's taste....so I am pleased you like it.

Regards

Ron

Next update....stage 2 on the front wheel.

I have added all the bits and pieces...lower forks...callipers and fittings...wheel weights etc.

Before I assemble this to the main frame....I will add the mudguard and brake hoses.

SS1_zpshxa0nnqc.jpgSS2_zps3yydbkhx.jpg

SS3_zpsv9yvdz9l.jpgSS4_zpstb7gevsy.jpg

SS5_zpsltz4nv0c.jpgSS6_zpscnmsby6l.jpg

SS7_zpsphihcjdc.jpgSS8_zpsffbmlmrt.jpg

Next up will be the last stage on the rear wheel before fitting to the main frame.

Ron

• Like 1

I'll say this; we all bash Pocher for the things they get 'wrong'. But the things they do 'right' are just beautiful. Witness the main elements above. Aftermarket trinkets are icing on the cake.

Then you come along Ron and dip all the parts in that magic vat of 'reality' you have and they are indistinguishable from life. Yep - I figured it out - that's how you do it...:pipe:

Before I start this update proper....I have to say a massive thank you to Roy vd....without his accepting my commission to fabricate the rear wheel nuts...I would have had to use the simplistic kit parts.

Roy has already opened a thread on how he made these pieces....and I would earnestly suggest you have a look at the work he did for me.

So...to begin with...a couple of pics of the components he fabricated.

There are 3 pieces to the drive side nut (4 if you include the retaining clip I made)....and 4 to the off side nut (5 including the clip).

In the pictures of the components...you can also see the 'bland' kit parts at the top.

IMG_1961_zps1bbfxbji.jpgIMG_1960_zpsqaekbcjq.jpg

IMG_1964_zpsmcxero1e.jpg

Even now....when I look at the pictures of the pieces....I am amazed and truly grateful that Roy was able to fabricate these parts.

Next up....all the pieces of the rear wheel and swing arm have been assembled....a real bitch to get every piece in the correct place!

All of the kit screws have...as usual....been replaced with the relevant type/size bolts.

I have made and added the rear brake line and the ABS sensor cable with their fittings and sheathing.

One little touch above this was the wheel weights....made from scrap white metal....and...of course...the retaining clips for those gorgeous wheel nuts ;)

As an aside...you will see I have replaced the screws in the paddock stand with bolts....and am waiting for some better wheels to arrive.

I have left the pictures quite dark....as this adds to the 'menace' IMHO!

DSC_0110_zpsijc9o59b.jpg

DSC_0111_zpsdzgodkjw.jpg

DSC_0112_zpsfya084vq.jpg

DSC_0115_zpsncedqnug.jpg

DSC_0118_zpspqgzdhmd.jpg

DSC_0119_zps00pt0adj.jpg

DSC_0126_zpsyfeoih3m.jpg

DSC_0127_zpsct2hhxkl.jpg

DSC_0126_zpsyfeoih3m.jpg

DSC_0122_zpsixxp4b9i.jpg

The last couple of pics are in answer to Mr C's request for a size comparison.

I have used a bust I painted in my figure days....with a ruler thrown in for good measure! (pun intended).

DSC_0123_zpswwep3rpa.jpg

DSC_0124_zps3iqfknhp.jpg

Ron

• Like 3

OK much appreciated. That's about as tall (minus stand) as my hood panels are long - now I can relate.

The grumpy-face guy is grumpy because he's a Harley driver, not Ducati. But he's stunning in his own right. Masterful work.

Roy's parts are definitely an asset and they join in with all the nut / bolt detail to shoot this over the top.

Very well planned and done. You may well have a Ducati model that costs as much as the 1:1. :worthy:

Ron I have to say I am happy with the way they look on the model. Hopefully not much sanding was required to get them as they are. The weathering is spot-on, just as it is on the rest of the model. The clips are a nice touch. 

1 hour ago, silver911 said:

Roy has already opened a thread on how he made these pieces....and I would earnestly suggest you have a look at the work he did for me.

For those interested, the thread is to be found here. Now that I know the parts fit nicely I will shortly add some more measurements to the thread so that anyone with a lathe, milling machine and dividing head will be able to machine these parts (with tender, love, care and time). 

I'll also explain why I decided to use three / four parts for this 'part', rather than simply one. 

Anyway I am very pleased that the results are liked :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Codger said:

I'll say this; we all bash Pocher for the things they get 'wrong'. But the things they do 'right' are just beautiful. Witness the main elements above. Aftermarket trinkets are icing on the cake.

Then you come along Ron and dip all the parts in that magic vat of 'reality' you have and they are indistinguishable from life. Yep - I figured it out - that's how you do it...:pipe:

Yes...they can get some things right....and that is great but....when they get it wrong!......................

"The key to reality is learning to see....as much as understanding is learning to hear....open your eyes and wash out your ears, and there is a world of wonder to explore."

Those were the words of my art teacher and later mentor.....that is the only key to what I do....simple mimicry of life ;)

Many thanks for your continued support throughout this build Mr C :)

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Roy vd M. said:

Ron I have to say I am happy with the way they look on the model. Hopefully not much sanding was required to get them as they are. The weathering is spot-on, just as it is on the rest of the model. The clips are a nice touch. 

For those interested, the thread is to be found here. Now that I know the parts fit nicely I will shortly add some more measurements to the thread so that anyone with a lathe, milling machine and dividing head will be able to machine these parts (with tender, love, care and time). 

I'll also explain why I decided to use three / four parts for this 'part', rather than simply one. 

Anyway I am very pleased that the results are liked :)

I am very pleased you are happy with the fit and look of the parts Roy.

Very little sanding was needed...I did cut down the tube (axle end) you made....and was careful to keep the weathering to a realistic minimum.

Adding the clips was the final touch of detail/realism IMHO.

Thanks for adding the link to your thread....wasn't sure how to do it doh!

Regards

Ron

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst I cannot do any more to the main carcass until I can purchase a case for this beast, I have been working on a few of the subassemblies.

If you build this OOB, there is very little work to these areas but, me being me, I decided to add some missing detail and rectify some minor errors/omissions.

First up are the two electrical side panels. There is virtually no wiring for these in the kit so, after a few hours studying the workshop manual, it was time to get busy adding the missing wiring.

All of the wiring was wrapped in cloth insulating tape, as per the real bike, and a couple of connectors added that were missing.

Because of the way the kit is designed, a lot of it can't be finalised until the panels are fixed to the main carcass, because it would block the fixing holes for the panels.

All very time consuming but, very important to the overall detail level of the build.

xy1_zpssc5lfcpg.jpg

xy2_zpsbufr3giw.jpg

xy3_zpsw6ikgws9.jpg

xy4_zpsfpbdkvcg.jpg

xy5_zpsaj5de8fn.jpg

Next up are the two footrest assemblies, and the shock absorber.

As per all the other assemblies done so far, I have replaced all the kit screws with the relevant bolts, and added the missing ones to the clamps etc.

I decided to 'personalise' the shock absorber as a touch of individuality.

The side stand has the missing switch and cable added, and wear to the foot, as have the footrest's.

I remade the gear change pedal using metal and rubber, both for accuracy and strength.

Weathering has been kept to a minimum, as these areas would be easily cleaned by the owner, with just a few marks/scrapes for effect.

xy8_zpsk83ss1sc.jpg

xy9_zps1ep49pjh.jpg

xy10_zpsq3xezgp6.jpg

xy11_zpszefwgibl.jpg

xy12_zpsczcd53kc.jpg

xy6_zps8x6se94n.jpg

xy7_zpsle7nth4e.jpg

Ron

• Like 3

No longer can superlatives suffice for your direction, work ethic or skill. This is tantamount to constructing the 1:1. Moreso because you are creating the parts (wires, connectors, terminals and hard parts), not just opening boxes of them for the 1:1.

This is without doubt the benchmark build of this particular kit - period. And Ron,  you are giving a clinic  to anyone dedicated enough to emulate your work. But that's a daunting task.

In fact, impossible from where I sit. :coolio:

On 11/06/2017 at 9:26 PM, Codger said:

No longer can superlatives suffice for your direction, work ethic or skill. This is tantamount to constructing the 1:1. Moreso because you are creating the parts (wires, connectors, terminals and hard parts), not just opening boxes of them for the 1:1.

This is without doubt the benchmark build of this particular kit - period. And Ron,  you are giving a clinic  to anyone dedicated enough to emulate your work. But that's a daunting task.

In fact, impossible from where I sit. :coolio:

That's some compliment Mr C....especially coming from someone I personally hold in such high regard.

As I have said before...my intention was always to show what can be done without the need for mega expensive 'transkits'.

I believe that...in doing it yourself....you can achieve equally good results....and...sometimes frustration aside....have a lot of fun doing it plus gain satisfaction and knowledge.

You taught me that in your fabulous RR build.

Respect

Ron

Well, we must conclude that you are extremely successful in executing your intentions.

great results, Ron