Pocher Ducati

Having gone as far as I can with the throttle assembly....I returned my attention to the exhaust and sump pan.

First off came the bolting of the sump pan to the bottom of the main block using the SH bolts....I had previously tapped all the holes to ease fitting....so an easy addition to make.

IMG_1735_zps5leagj8p.jpg

Having made the exhaust springs and fixings it was time to work out their placement...drill some locating holes and fit them.

With that done...next came the two exhaust sensors....which again were fitted into pre-drilled holes on the pipes.

Once all this was done and set....a quick weather in....and it was time to fit the exhaust system to the engine.

I had already tapped all the mounting holes but...it was still very fiddly trying to get it around the engine without damaging other parts!

What you will see in the following pictures is the weight of the diecast engine block causes the engine to tilt forward...so very awkward to get good pictures :(

IMG_1737_zpsct7enk8l.jpg

IMG_1738_zpsdlnxflxe.jpg

IMG_1741_zpsc76zjpsi.jpg

IMG_1742_zpsztqry28l.jpg

IMG_1748_zps7xrhwidc.jpgIMG_1752_zpsnskqapsm.jpg

IMG_1753_zps5dajnqxm.jpgIMG_1756_zpsbhswqx3a.jpg

IMG_1765_zpsxreedgit.jpgIMG_1768_zps7ywnl12g.jpg

IMG_1777_zps220nptwg.jpgIMG_1779_zpsugpujzek.jpg

IMG_1783_zpsh8odvckg.jpgIMG_1785_zpshbfiu4py.jpg

IMG_1790_zpsojpfhjbm.jpgIMG_1792_zpsxzsne5zb.jpg

IMG_1794_zpsglowrmjp.jpgIMG_1803_zpskfeq64fr.jpg

IMG_1808_zpstdspisku.jpg

All in all a satisfying result :)

Ron

• Like 4

11 hours ago, kpnuts said:

Man oh man that looks real, amazing, it's just incredible 

Thanks mate and glad you find it 'believable :)

5 hours ago, larchiefeng said:

Words fail me! How does it sound when it starts up?

LOL...bit rough at the moment...think the mix is a bit out ;)

1 hour ago, Pouln said:

Splendid work, Ron

Many thanks for comment Poul :)

1 hour ago, Mpfiend said:

Very convincing work Ron,

regards

Keith.

Thanks Keith...much appreciated :)

1 hour ago, CrazyCrank said:

Looks like a real one ! I'm thoroughly amazed by the accuracy and plenty of details !

It's going to be a masterpiece, Ron :)

Nice one for comment mate....it's all in the details ;)

A long way from a 'masterpiece' yet....but giving it my best shot!

Thank you all for looking in.

Ron

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Time for an update!

Decided to bring a couple of sub assemblies together with the main engine block.

I chose to do this now...as it is becoming quite complex....not to mention difficult to handle/manipulate.

What you see in the pictures below is the addition of the 'Throttle' and 'Radiator + Fan/Housing' assemblies....along with some more hoses and cables...plus my own custom mounts for the throttle plate.

MB1_zpsizf4zwnu.jpg

MB12_zps78ljdebq.jpg

MB6_zpskiwmitoe.jpg

MB11_zps6pf1parr.jpg

MB3_zpsb2s4upcv.jpg

MB4_zpsyeijh8hc.jpg

MB2_zps55uwerdi.jpg

MB5_zpszfq2ylwl.jpg

MB7_zpsih8wupct.jpgMB8_zpsh3nfuwtu.jpg

MB10_zpsjb1sxvjk.jpgMB9_zpspieyfjmz.jpg

With this all together...I can now start to find homes for all the cables etc.

Ron

• Like 8

The engine is looking good and busy now with all the cabling/wiring. Your custom PE grill looks outstanding and makes a big difference too.  Did you get your hands on a workshop manual to help with all the wires?

16 hours ago, rjfk2002 said:

The engine is looking good and busy now with all the cabling/wiring. Your custom PE grill looks outstanding and makes a big difference too.  Did you get your hands on a workshop manual to help with all the wires?

What you see regards cables/wiring....is about 60% of what will be added to the engine block....I will add the others as the build progresses and the connecting points are fixed.

Yes...I am very pleased with the radiator fins (PE)....well worth the effort IMHO.

I had already downloaded all the factory parts and wiring diagrams before i started on the kit....then found they are also included in Paul Koo's DVD.

Ron

On 14/04/2017 at 5:27 PM, parryj said:

WOW! this is incredible. You'll need to get out the old Fluke multi-meter to help figure out the wiring! Amazing work.

lol....yep...it's become a bit of a puzzle....I did actually keep notes of where and what each wire/cable was/went....and bloody threw them away in a tidy up moment!....arrrrrrrgh!!! :(

Thanks for comment...much appreciated :)

Ron

Edited by silver911
Text error

14 hours ago, kpnuts said:

Jeees that looks real, realer than real in fact, amazing my friend 

Hello mate...glad your still enjoying the ride ;)

What will be really amazing...is if I can find out where all those bloody cables go....again!....doh! lol

7 hours ago, Mpfiend said:

Top notch Ron,

With the extra cables added so far it looks like a snakes wedding:smile:.

Keep up the superb work.

Best Regards

Keith.

It can get a bit hectic trying to route the cables and wires....just when you think one's sorted...you realise it bundles with another that you routed away from it!

Cheers for comment Keith....nice one :)

Ron

• Like 1

This is pretty impressive Ron! I agree with everyone else's comments about how real this looks. It's at this point in the build when, you have packed so many details into the sub-assembly that, it starts to get tricky assembling the whole thing but, I have confidence that, you'll handle it well! Good job my friend!

10 hours ago, harveyb258 said:

Beautiful work on this, Ron!

The detailing is insane.....in entirely a good way, of course:D I look forward to seeing more!

Cheers, H

Many thanks 'H' :)

Sadly...insanity is a pre-requisite of 'Pocher' building ;)

Busy prepping the next couple of sub assemblies as a diversion from all that wiring! lol

Ron

• Like 1

14 hours ago, larchiefeng said:

This is pretty impressive Ron! I agree with everyone else's comments about how real this looks. It's at this point in the build when, you have packed so many details into the sub-assembly that, it starts to get tricky assembling the whole thing but, I have confidence that, you'll handle it well! Good job my friend!

Hi Wayne....you and I have discussed 'reality' on occasion...this is my implementation of it....based on the techniques we spoke about ;)

And yes....it's getting very difficult to handle....and planning the next stages is paramount to progress....so very easy to get it wrong....as you well know from experience!

I am pleased with the work so far.....and have a few more ideas to implement over the coming stages ;)

Ron :)

Morning all,WOW! Ron thats a fantastic build,it realy does look like the real thing, have a look at this site,very helpfull i use it for building protar/revell ducati's ,good for electrics and plumbing                                                                http://oem-parts.hu/en/parts/ducati

keep up the good work

willie

8 hours ago, willie fixit said:

Morning all,WOW! Ron thats a fantastic build,it realy does look like the real thing, have a look at this site,very helpfull i use it for building protar/revell ducati's ,good for electrics and plumbing                                                                http://oem-parts.hu/en/parts/ducati

keep up the good work

willie

Hi mate....glad you like the build so far :)

Thanks for link....couldn't find the 1299s unfortunately :(

Still a very useful resource though.

Cheers

Ron

• 3 weeks later...

To start with....a very small update....just a couple of small pieces that I have customised for effect.

First the top fork clamp....I had already decided to change the colour of both fork braces to black....which is a common theme on Ducati's.

Along with the colour change I also added the missing clamp bolts to the top one.

In the picture you will see I removed the factory paint....I did this because the part had some nasty mould lines and pits...and I wanted a nice smooth finish.

IMG_1855_zpsg6fkay81.jpg

Next pieces I wanted to give a make over too were the brake discs.

My intention was to replicate the 'scorching' of a well/hard ridden bike.

After several attempts at reproducing the effect...different paints and finishes...none of which I was happy with...I decided that the only way to replicate it was to use the same natural cause as on the real thing....heat!

Having tried a lighter....a heat gun and a mini blow torch (butane)...I just couldn't get enough heat into the metal to give me the needed effect!

Enter my partner Anna...."What about a gas ring on the cooker" says she....eureka! 

So...armed with a pair of long nosed pliers and some 'extra virgin olive oil'.....I fired up the gas ring and began the process of burning the discs in.

Once they were suitably 'blackened'....I cooled them under the cold tap and left them to dry.

Next up it was a case of replicating the burnished travel of the pads on the disc surface.

This was done using sanding sticks and patience.....with the final result in the picture below.

IMG_1861_zpsxrmipepe.jpg

Be warned the following update will be very picture intensive!

Ron

Edited by silver911
  • Like 1

Right...as said above....this update is picture heavy!

There's not a lot I can say...so will let the pictures speak for themselves....

IMG_1864_zps4lxgj8im.jpg

IMG_1865_zpswndckvys.jpg

IMG_1868_zpsaorlglnw.jpg

IMG_1869_zpsycq22vbk.jpg

IMG_1870_zpsstjighpl.jpg

IMG_1871_zpsjqned9ug.jpg

IMG_1872_zps6wvithkx.jpg

IMG_1874_zpswtexalcl.jpg

IMG_1875_zpslfmgj7jr.jpg

IMG_1877_zpszzyuu8l8.jpg

IMG_1866_zpszilz2gob.jpgIMG_1879_zpshpv3ltvd.jpg

IMG_1903_zpscr8xe2oh.jpgIMG_1904_zpsspzwkg2u.jpg

IMG_1908_zpsadtuycqj.jpgIMG_1913_zpsa9wdkvln.jpg

IMG_1901_zpsg6x1xewx.jpg

IMG_1892_zpsssh6zqfs.jpg

IMG_1891_zpsuywhidox.jpg

IMG_1890_zpsooexbdbl.jpg

IMG_1889_zpseci9ahem.jpg

IMG_1886_zpsrlw1qg7d.jpg

IMG_1883_zpshai5zzvg.jpg

IMG_1881_zpsr3chqzwd.jpg

IMG_1877_zpszzyuu8l8.jpg

IMG_1875_zpslfmgj7jr.jpg

IMG_1874_zpswtexalcl.jpg

IMG_1872_zps6wvithkx.jpg

Think that just about covers it for now!

Ron

No big deal - my mrs has been scorching things on the cooker for decades... :badmood:

BRILLIANT idea by a very bright Lady! Nothing looks more real than the real thing.

Which is what the whole works looks like - the real thing. Far beyond your ability to create natural finishes, your thought process and planned modifications are highly advanced. Then there's the surgical neatness which betrays the fact that this is a 1/4 size likeness. You are putting on a clinic here my friend.

This is by far the best of these extant on any forums I've seen; it will be the benchmark Pocher Ducati.

Period.:king:  :worthy:

• Like 1