Pocher Ducati

On 1/22/2017 at 11:12 AM, silver911 said:

1Z_zpsgsadi93n.jpg

Hope you like the progress so far.

Ron

If you're a lover of mechanical things, this is a wonderful photo. I smell high-test petrol and hot oil...:Tasty:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Codger said:

If you're a lover of mechanical things, this is a wonderful photo. I smell high-test petrol and hot oil...:Tasty:

The voice of a true petrol head....I truly envy you your Cobra days Mr C!

Respect

Ron

That's a nice looking engine! I like the subtle amount of weathering; it's just enough to make it look real. You can see your deft hand in the shadows and recesses from your days as a figure painter. You can achieve excellent results just using a few oils as opposed to the rest of us that rely on the specialized paints. It just goes to show that you don't a lot of special paints if you know how to use a few oils to create the proper effect. Nice work!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, larchiefeng said:

That's a nice looking engine! I like the subtle amount of weathering; it's just enough to make it look real. You can see your deft hand in the shadows and recesses from your days as a figure painter. You can achieve excellent results just using a few oils as opposed to the rest of us that rely on the specialized paints. It just goes to show that you don't a lot of special paints if you know how to use a few oils to create the proper effect. Nice work!

Many thanks for kind words Wayne.

I admit that my figure days have taught me some very useful 'tricks', and this arena can benefit greatly from those techniques, and a lot of others I will use later in the build.

Regards

Ron

• 3 weeks later...

This looks great. Being a recently ex biker myself i love them ( size wise how does this compare to a 1/6 i noticed there is one hell of a difference between 1/8 and 1/6 ) will be watching this my 60th coming up and my missus has promissed me a pocher kit. Im struggling to choose which ( i know which one it wont be though)

25 minutes ago, kpnuts said:

This looks great. Being a recently ex biker myself i love them ( size wise how does this compare to a 1/6 i noticed there is one hell of a difference between 1/8 and 1/6 ) will be watching this my 60th coming up and my missus has promissed me a pocher kit. Im struggling to choose which ( i know which one it wont be though)

It is a lot bigger than 1:6th!....this beast certainly has 'presence' lol

As you are considering this kit....I will say that it is known to vary in quality....primarily where the fit of the die cast parts are concerned....add to that the 'missing' details...which are mostly cables and connectors....if you want a challenge...this kit provides one in abundance.

Most importantly....mine was all intact...no missing pieces or damage...and superb factory finish to the body parts (red).

Having said that...if you can put up with the awful Pocher screws...and the very visible holes they leave....and just want an impressive OOB build....you won't be disappointed :)

Thanks for the input, i like you like to make things look used so love the idea of weathering things, if i built it i would also weather it i do think they have more interest when weathered.

1 hour ago, kpnuts said:

Thanks for the input, i like you like to make things look used so love the idea of weathering things, if i built it i would also weather it i do think they have more interest when weathered.

Nice to know I am not alone in thinking a bit of weathering adds 'life' ;)

Ron

Paul Koo has released an upgrade kit for the Ducati that has a lot of extra details that Pocher left out. I was suprised to see that it was being offered by Autograph Models on their website when I was looking at the Pocher new kit survey. You can also buy it from Paul directly.

About time for an update me thinks!

Have been busy fabricating some more missing parts/cables/fixings.

First up...the radiator 'stone guards'....these were fabricated using reference pics...from 0.5 mm plastic card and some suitable metal mesh...with mounting plates from ali sheet...and suitable fixings from my stock.

aa_zpsq8lym4pl.jpgdd_zpspzswmeca.jpg

bb_zps9gro4oel.jpg

These were then sprayed with 'Zero' semi gloss black

Next up was the water pump.

I replaced the kit screws with correct Scale Hardware bolts....and added hose clamps....along with the missing wiring.

rr_zpsu9ke6iwl.jpgss_zpssmjlseus.jpg

tt_zpsuoehofy1.jpguu_zpsziawevev.jpg

vv_zpsdtgot0wf.jpg

I thought it was about time to tackle the painting of the exhaust system next....this was primed and left to harden for 72 hours....reason being...I wanted the primer nice and dry for what comes next.

As said...coming from the figure painting arena...my primary tools for painting are the airbrush and oil paints.

In this instance...I chose oil paints to achieve the effect I was looking for....rather than using airbrushed metallics.

In the first picture you can see the basic primer.

What you see in the following pictures...is what I was able to achieve using oil paints and a touch of very lightly applied 'carbon steel' pigment only.

jj_zpspqbqttra.jpg

kk_zpsbbgweud7.jpg

ll_zpsldutlnqa.jpg

mm_zpsv24vpifl.jpg

nn_zps5u9i9r9r.jpg

Ron

• Like 6

13 hours ago, rjfk2002 said:

Stunning work Ron!  The weathering is outstanding.  I like the contrast between "oiled" areas like the water pump and heated spots like the exhaust.  

Hi Rich....glad the weathering isn't putting you off....thanks for comment :)

Ron

Another quick/small update...that I forgot to include in the last one doh!

Although I won't fit it for a while yet....which leaves me a flat surface at the bottom of the main block to rest it on...I have weathered it...and pre-tapped the holes for the scale hardware bolts...and fitted the 'drain' plug using a bolt I had in stock.

ii_zpsao6cwb04.jpg

hh_zps1bv80svm.jpg

gg_zpsbyr4mb7o.jpg

Ron

Edited by silver911
wrong pic inserted
  • Like 1

Just now, larchiefeng said:

This is going to be a nice, well rode and slightly used bike. What intrigues me is that you're doing all this with just artists oils! Great job Ron!

Hi mate....yep...well ridden...but loved!

It's the figure painter in me....there's not much I can't do with oils....and cheaper than buying all those fancy effects paints ;)

Ron

Back at the begining of this thread...I mentioned that there are quite a number of missing details...one of the major ones...IMHO....is the lack of detail on the radiators!

Surely...in a kit of this scale/size....more effort could/should have been made with these parts.

Basically...the only 'detail' on the faces of the radiators....is the dividing bars between the 'missing' fins....which you can see in the pic below.

RC2_zpssujh4qqq.jpg

In the pic above...it is mounted in the milling machine...so that I can more easily remove these 'bars'....to allow me to add the missing detail....as in the pic below....

RC3_zpshnbeeayj.jpg

I have filled the nasty kit screw holes as they are not needed....and detract from the 'realism' I hope to achieve!

You can also see the top mounting plates for the 'stone guards' I showed in the last update.

Ron

• Like 1