Site - slow response?

Over the last couple of weeks the site seems to have become much slower to respond. 

Having clicked on a topic it takes 4 or 5 seconds to return the thread.  Going back to the previous page using the browser back button takes 8 to 9 secs. 

If I'm using 'view recent content' is a second or so slower than the above times (not unreasonably as presumably a database tall is required).

I've noticed the same slowness on varia devices including Android phones, pc, laptop and ipad on several different wifi connections of speeds between 4 and 20 meg. 

Had anyone else noticed this? 

Brian

Its always been slow to load on since the change. I just got a new laptop, still as slow loading BM as my older one. No problems with 99% of other sites except newspaper sites. I get the news a day late by the time they load up.

34 minutes ago, Panzer Vor!!! said:

Maybe we need to cut away some dead wood , lose some of the chaff :book: where should we start  :wicked:

Just can't resist this one.  Dave... All of your posts have been removed :wicked:

• Like 1

Seriously though - it's shifting at normal speeds here, so perhaps have a clear-out of cache/cookies and see if that helps.  Also, try another browser if you can, and try it on another device if you have one to spare.  Sometimes a "problem with the site" might just end up being something between your fingers and our site.  F'rinstance, yesterday Julien told me the site was down, but when I checked it, everything was ticking along nicely.  Turns out he'd done something to upset the protection filters and it had barred him from the site.  A quick reset from my end and he was back in and feeling a little chagrinned for a brief time :wicked:

2 minutes ago, Panzer Vor!!! said:

Telling Greg on you :fuyou_2:

He's actually just left BM Towers in his rental Mocha, or you could have told him yourself :)

Mocha or Mokka ? I had a Mokka the other week while my car was being serviced. couldn't wait to get rid of it. On the other hand, the mocha from the tassimo thing was quite good. Tried renting one but they'd run out of honk bags when I returned.

Don't think drink rentals will catch on Mike ! :P

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bzn20 said:

Mocha or Mokka ? I had a Mokka the other week while my car was being serviced. couldn't wait to get rid of it. On the other hand, the mocha from the tassimo thing was quite good. Tried renting one but they'd run out of honk bags when I returned.

Don't think drink rentals will catch on Mike ! :P

One of them Vauxhall heaps.  Horrid, horrid heap. However at £10 per day to rent whilst I'm back in 🇬🇧 it will do.  

Just now, Greg B said:

One of them Vauxhall heaps.  Horrid, horrid heap. However at £10 per day to rent whilst I'm back in 🇬🇧 it will do.  

I'm not sure what its for. Not that roomy, its so narrow, my head just off the roof. I only had it a day and came away wondering what was the point of it.

I've got a Zafira Tourer SRI (165 BHP) 6 seater bus that just flies. I've had 3 Zafiras over the last 12 years, none of them have missed a beat. I'll get another one after this in a couple of years probably.

£10 a day is a good deal though, bargain in fact. I had a Mondeo back in 97, £55 a day !

Deal was with the flights my wife booked back for Xmas with our daughter. I've just turned up on R and R.

i can see what it's for, it's a lookalike SUV mini for the school run mums. Just a corsa on stilts with less appeal and driving experience. Hey ho, it gets us from A to B, just not very economically.

in answer to the original poster, probably something on your side. I have been using this in multi countries in the last few months on fixed and mobile networks on differing devices, OS and browsers and no delays whatsoever. 🐌 

1 hour ago, Mike said:

perhaps have a clear-out of cache/cookies and see if that helps.  Also, try another browser if you can, and try it on another device if you have one to spare.  Sometimes a "problem with the site" might just end up being something between your fingers and our site. 

Hi Mike,

It's the same on 2 phones (both Android) an iPad, a desktop and a laptop computer,

I've tried Chrome and Firefox - FF is marginally faster but it's still slow.

I've tried clearing cache/cookies etc with no difference.

I've accessed via various wifi connections in England and France.

It's slow to respond with every combination. Not sure what else I can change from my side...

Brian 

43 minutes ago, Panzer Vor!!! said:

Hey ho, it gets us from A to B,

you do remember what side of the road we  drive on?? :coolio:

Real Beer??  :drink:

And the rain :raincloud:

You are from deepest darkest Yorkshire.  Where you hail from they still point at cars and wonder where the horse has gone.

Australia drives on the same side of the road.  Just upside down.

Real Beer?  I just let the Aussie stuff warm up then, chuck it away ;)  Mind you, I have observed that Stella is considered to be a "boutique European" beer.  If only they knew the truth!!!!

I must say I'm finding it a little slow too.

Mike knows how many bits of IT'ery I use, but tis the same across devices.

Can't say I've looked into why if it's my end though, too busy moaning about other things elsewhere!

Rick.

PS, Chrome ain't the slickest browser out there, Firefox is certainly quicker for me.

• Like 1

As well as sometimes being a bit slow for me(not always mind..) I am finding an issue when I want to start a new topic in particular thread/forum and even PM service. I click on start new topic for example and it sets itself up but I get my last post showing ...???? Why? In ordr for me to start a new thread I have to delete it all and then start to post. Same in the PM Message forum. I go to reply but my lat reply pops up and again I need to delete that previous reply ad go ahead as normal.  

Anyone able to explain?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paul J said:

As well as sometimes being a bit slow for me(not always mind..) I am finding an issue when I want to start a new topic in particular thread/forum and even PM service. I click on start new topic for example and it sets itself up but I get my last post showing ...???? Why? In ordr for me to start a new thread I have to delete it all and then start to post. Same in the PM Message forum. I go to reply but my lat reply pops up and again I need to delete that previous reply ad go ahead as normal.  

Anyone able to explain?

That one's easy Paul - it's the editor saving your last posting, as it thinks you may not have completed it.  It's like Word's Autosave function.  It does seem to get a bit over-enthusiastic though, but it's easy enough to get rid of it.  Just press CTRL+A and it'll highlight all the text, then type your intended post and off you pop :)

6 hours ago, bhouse said:

Hi Mike,

It's the same on 2 phones (both Android) an iPad, a desktop and a laptop computer,

I've tried Chrome and Firefox - FF is marginally faster but it's still slow.

I've tried clearing cache/cookies etc with no difference.

I've accessed via various wifi connections in England and France.

It's slow to respond with every combination. Not sure what else I can change from my side...

Brian 

That's certainly proving that you're not just blaming your solitary PC, which is good news from the point of view of hunting phantoms, but not from a general speed POV.  I'll raise it with support, and see whether there's some drain on resources.  The only thing that has changed recently is the update to the forum software, so I'll look into that too :)

• Like 1