HMS Upholder - 1942 - 1/350 Resin kit

Inspired by Claudius' excellent build of the EVA resin kit, I sent off for one.....

Here's what you get - a very large box for the contends, a solid resin hull, a bag of resin parts, an etched-brass fret, a decal sheet and a folded A4 instruction sheet

350-HMS%20Upholder_42_01.jpg

The contents - the solid hull, two display stands, the bridge and periscopes, the deck gun and mount and plastic rod to make the prop shafts etc.

350-HMS%20Upholder_42_02.jpg

The etched brass fret has the rudder and diving planes, railings, propellers and other fittings, whilst the small decal sheet has the penant numbers and RN Ensign.

Ken

• Like 4

Looking forward to see it completed! I have always found U-Class  very "british looking"... do not know how to explain... just like something empirically designed to be just effective but that it turns out somehow beautiful.

• 4 weeks later...

When I cut the hull from its casting block, I inadvertantly removed the keel!!!!  :doh::doh:

So I had to make a new one from plastic card.....

350-HMS%20Upholder_90_19.jpg

I also knocked off the fixed, front part of the rudder (skeg?) - so that had to be replaced - so I made a new rudder as well - from thin plastic card.

The horizontal dive planes are supplied in etched brass - so there isn't a lot of mating surface - the kit includes a length of plastic rod from which to make the prop shafts.

It's all a bit fiddly....... :wall:

350-HMS%20Upholder_90_20.jpg

After adding the front dive planes and conning tower and after a wash in warm soapy water, she's ready for an overall coat of grey primer...

350-HMS%20Upholder_90_21.jpg

Ken