Petlyakov Pe-2, August Storm, 1945

Really nice, you don't see too many of these.

It's a shame more model companies haven't made more examples of this aircraft, particularly in 1/72nd as it's a superb and historic aircraft. 

Rich

• Like 1

Hello,Russ - Wishing you 'All The Best' for the New Year.What a fine start with this beautifully built,finished and portrayed 'Pe-2'. This is my favourite looking WW2 Soviet type.I love it. 😉👍 As always, Paul.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I must admit, up front, that I'm not a big fan of Soviet WWII-era aircraft but the Pe-2 is an exception and I do have one in the stash. They operated over and around Tallinn and I have actually sourced some decals that cover one of the units and since I like to model aircraft with places where I have lived, this project is likely to get done in time.

Your build is a real inspiration too and I'm particularly grateful for the comment regarding detail. On inspecting my own kit, I did think it was very nicely detailed but that probably a lot would be lost in the confines of the fuselage. Your statement pretty much confirms this and will help me greatly.

Another great build and finish, Russ. As always your attention to detail is flawless. Well done, Sir !.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, guaguachong said:

how did you make edges of different colors look so good.i would like to learn. thank you.

Hi `G`: I`m not too sure what you mean but here`s what I do, -do ( if you know what I mean ). Other than painting one coat of the lightest colour all over I don`t paint the camo` colours one over the other, I brush up to the edge of the adjacent one. I weather the individual colours back with a slightly lighter colour dry brushed not quite up to the edge of where it meets the other one. Maybe it`s that which gives the effect you like.

Hope this helps, thanks very much for looking and interest.

Russ

3 hours ago, russ c said:

Hi `G`: I`m not too sure what you mean but here`s what I do, -do ( if you know what I mean ). Other than painting one coat of the lightest colour all over I don`t paint the camo` colours one over the other, I brush up to the edge of the adjacent one. I weather the individual colours back with a slightly lighter colour dry brushed not quite up to the edge of where it meets the other one. Maybe it`s that which gives the effect you like.

Hope this helps, thanks very much for looking and interest.

Russ

Russ,

Am I missing something here ?. Several of the posts seem to suggest that this Pe-2 has been brush painted ?. If this is the case, then I am even more impressed and would be grateful if you could share your secret to success with this medium……I am (temporarily) unable to use an airbrush so it would be handy to know how to get an effective brush coat on my current builds.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tiger331 said:

Russ,

Am I missing something here ?. Several of the posts seem to suggest that this Pe-2 has been brush painted ?. If this is the case, then I am even more impressed and would be grateful if you could share your secret to success with this medium……I am (temporarily) unable to use an airbrush so it would be handy to know how to get an effective brush coat on my current builds.  

Cheers Tiger, re:brushpainting

I use Humbrol enamels exclusively, thin to about the consistency of milk, several thin coats as opposed to one thick one, let it dry properly before applying the next coat  ( 24 hrs for the new stuff ), it helps to have another build going alongside to give you something to do in the meantime.

To weather it, I described my methods in my Firefly post sometime back

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234944969-fairey-firefly-f1-schofields-australia-1945/&do=findComment&comment=1381050

Hope this helps. BTW It`s not that I`m great at brush painting, just Cr*p with an airbrush :mellow:

Hope you get yours sorted soon

Cheers Russ

PS I dont use Humbrol Matt Varnish any more, ( it`s pants ) I use Windsor and Newton Matt Varnish

What an absolute beauty Russ and I love the camo and scheme that you`ve chosen,........I`m not really into Russian subjects but seeing yours has made me want to make one now,.......brilliant mate!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

On 1/5/2017 at 7:41 AM, russ c said:

Hi Everyone,

Managed to finish my attempt at making a Pe-2 that took part in the Soviet invasion of Manchuria in the last months of WW2 during operation August Storm

SAM_9205_zpsbrg1xiy8.jpg

Built from Zvezda`s 1/48 kit

SAM_9207_zpsbfr6bhif.jpg

Pretty much out of the box, with just some dodgy seat belts and aerial wires added

SAM_9215_zpsh28tatsp.jpg

Had to replace a few smaller details like the boarding ladder with some made from wire as I broke a few bits cutting them off the sprues

SAM_9208_zps4lzuihb8.jpg

Decals were some from the kit and the red and white `19` was made from some red 19`s with some white decal strip from the stash

SAM_9211_zpscf4tm3u5.jpg

Finished to try and represent an aircraft of the `Pacific Fleet` based at Nikolayevka AB, 1945

SAM_9218_zpsi76by8ct.jpg

I confess to getting bored with this one half way through and if I did one again I`d leave a lot of the details you can`t see out to speed things along.

Anyway, hope you enjoy, thanks for looking and a Happy New Year

Cheers Russ

Russ, beautiful work!  May I ask if your source for the color scheme was a photo or specific reference?  I have a similar interest in Pacific Pe-2's and would very much appreciate any helpful suggestions as I research postwar Pe-2's stationed in the Manchuria area.  Many thanks!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, 28ZComeback said:

Russ, beautiful work!  May I ask if your source for the color scheme was a photo or specific reference?  I have a similar interest in Pacific Pe-2's and would very much appreciate any helpful suggestions as I research postwar Pe-2's stationed in the Manchuria area.  Many thanks!

Hi `28Z` re Pacific Pe-2`s references..............

Hardly any, couldn`t find much at all. the inspiration for this one came from a profile in Yefim Gordons book ` Soviet Air Power in WWII` but it`s only a side view with spurious camo` pattern and no 29 on the fuselage. There`s a photo of the same aircraft (no 29) on the `Soviet Warplanes` site with Grey painted over the camo` from the mainplanes back ( nose and cowlings still in camo` ). I toyed with the idea of doing mine like that but couldn`t bring myself to paint over the camo` and besides most people would just think it was supposed to be white distemper anyway. 
So I worked on the assumption that at some point in its life it was painted camo before being partly over painted anyway. 
Having searched and searched the `web` and wasted money on books alleging to show photo`s or profiles of Pacific based Pe-2`s only to find in another reference them labelled as something else in another site or book, it`s probable that even the unit I`ve tried to represent wasn`t there at all anyway. 
That`s why I put the word `attempt` in the text of my posting. 
One day if it turns out that the photo of no 29 is in fact of an August Storm aircraft I may do that actual one with the camo` partially over painted in grey. 
In the end I just gave it my best shot. 
I`ve also a IL-10 to do in the same theme and I haven`t even found a profile or photo incorrectly captioned or otherwise. 
I spoke/mailed to Steve Bailey on Hyperscale who posts some August Storm stuff there and has been searching for references even longer than I have and he`s come up with virtually nothing either. 

Sorry I can`t be much help, but thanks for your interest and looking.

Cheers Russ
Of the sites I visited `Soviet Warplanes` was the best but nothing much at all on `August Storm`. 
Sorry I can`t be any help but if you find more I`d be very interested to know. 
Cheers Russ 

Russ, I think there is some speculation that the Pacific Pe-2's sported an overall grey/ dark grey scheme but again no pics that clearly illustrate this adoptation.  As to the Il-10 I love the kit but worry that it's short in overall length and canopy looks too high. But I could be totally wrong. Again thanks for your superb builds and nuanced weathering.

• Like 1