Revell 1/32 spitfire MkII to Vb

c.smith10

Hi

I had the revell 1/32 spitfire MkII bought for me for Christmas and while trawling though the interwebs I found a build thread  on LSP where a guy has made a small resin conversion set to make a Vb (LSP Vb conversion thread ).

Now in all honesty I don't know a huge amount about the differences between Mk's, I just know I prefer the look of the Vb so I've ordered the set. What I'd like to know is other than the missing 20mm barrels and decals is there anything else I need to complete the conversion?

cheers

Chris

Well, if you want to get really finicky, change the gun button from round to rectangular (longer up and down).  And some slight changes to the instrument panel.

Some panel lines on the wing, if you care about such things.

A lot depends on which Vb you intend to do, because there are a lot of changes through their career.

bob

Edited by gingerbob

Not much difference except :-

No bulge on the portside Coffman starter.

Cannons on the wings with the bulges on the underside.

Some mkVBs had different windscreens / external / internal armour.

Spinner shape more pointed.

Flat wheel hubs on some Spits.

D shaped oil cooler under port wing.

Number of different filters fitted to desert aircraft.

Clipped wings on some Spits.

No doubt there may be a few more which I haven't thought of but I am sure the guys on here will help you out with.

Cheers. K

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gingerbob said:

Well, if you want to get really finicky, change the gun button from round to rectangular (longer up and down).  And some slight changes to the instrument panel.

Some panel lines on the wing, if you care about such things.

A lot depends on which Vb you intend to do, because there are a lot of changes through their career.

bob

Thanks for that, I must admit I'm not overly concerned about the fine details I'd just like to build an acceptable representation of a Vb

cheers

10 minutes ago, Work In Progress said:

The oil cooler for a Vb should be circular, not D-shaped. Circular is what the Revell kit gives you (mostly wrongly for a II, correct for a V)

I did read that the revell spit is closer to a Va rather than MkII so should make te conversion to a Vb that bit easier? 

On 2017-01-05 at 2:59 PM, Jure Miljevic said:

Did not Spitfire Mk.II still have canvas covered ailerons and on Mk.Vb they reverted to aluminum? Cheers

Jure

Usually but some managed to get metal ones. Check Johnnie Johnson´s biography for some "info" on that.. :)

The things which deterred me from having anything to do with the Revell "II" kit are not that it's effetcively VA: that can be dealt with simply by marking it as such. My problems with it are the relatively trivial one of the rivets needing to be filled in, and the rather more difficult and problematical one of the faulty fuselage cross-section. It is too fat whether it's a II or a V, or indeed a IX: it looks like someone's over-inflated it with a bicycle pump.

• Like 1

You're undoubtedly correct about fuselage cross section.

But when built and if finished nicely it looks like a Spitfire. So for my simian tastes it's absolutely fine.

Plus in 1/32 for an early mark of Spitfire there is a paucity of choice.

I agree wholeheartedly on the rivets I filled them with some dissolved putty and that's sorted that.

It'll be interesting to see what the Mk IXc Brings...

Cheers

Plasto

23 hours ago, Plasto said:

Isn't Revell releasing a Spitfire IXc based on this tooling in March? 

I wonder what cross kitting potential exists then?

Y'know, I have to admit that this "innocent" comment rather got me thinking!  Even if they don't correct any of the geometry, the parts should interchange nicely.  And if they do correct some, then the better parts can be used as God and RJ intended.  Either way, I'd feel much better making a mess of these kits than a Tamiya... and I've got even more sinister plans in mind for that, anyway!

Hmm, Vc?  Oh, perhaps an Australian one.  Or Seafire?  Or, hey, change the nose and I could make a Seafire XV... 

:evil_laugh:

It wasn't that 'innocent' a comment I was thinking the same things... Specifically along the Vc or a Seafire IIc lines...

Still let's see what Revell do and what potential it opens up. 

Plasto