Valom Hampden TB1 enquiry

SimonL

I have the Valom Hampden TB1 I picked up at a model expo very cheaply and have decided that I should have a go at it.

i am aware of a couple of issues so far -

(1) modifications required to the underside gunners cupola to allow room for the torpedo tail

(2) issues with the nose transparency width

I think I have ways to deal with both of these. My enquiry concerns the colour scheme. I would like to finish this out of the box as AT246 of 489 Squadron RAF, Thorney Island Spring 1942 (details as given by the instructions). The box scheme has the aircraft in dark green and earth over black (so essentially the night bomber scheme), however on reading the posts here on BM the topside camouflage should be TSS. Can anyone advise as the appropriate colours to be used? Many thanks in advance.

Hi Eric, possibly. However I am going OOB for this build, and am going to try spreading the fuselage a little wider at the nose end (this worked quite nicely on the Special Hobby Beaufort I am just finishing off at the moment).

The Falcon ventral mounting won't help as a drop-in piece, because it is the same depth as the the original bomber not the shallower TB position.  However, if you are suggesting that it might be easier to modify the Falcon to a new shape then it sounds worth a try.

I'd go with TSS.  or, I will go with TSS when I get my hands on the AZ offering.  (Basically the Valom tooling with new transparencies and a replacement ventral position.)

• Like 1

Enjoy your modelling.  I did it some years back with an Airfix kit, but found it difficult to get a decent shape (and windows) for the ventral position.  It really needs a newly moulded part - the Falcon part may be more easily "distortable" than the harder plastic of the injected kits.  I admit painting mine with TLS and red stars but it's done and not getting repainted now: more fun to work with a fresh kit.

• Like 1

Admittedly later than the period you are interested in but I would say these http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205210336?cat=photographs are in TSS. There was a memo dated 10th August 1941 stating all Coastal Command aircraft were to have the Temperate Sea Scheme (Dark Slate Grey & Extra Dark Sea Grey) on uppersurfaces. So a reasonable assumption would be that this would have been applied from the outset to the aircraft issued to 489 which converted to Hampdens in March 1942.

• Like 1