LIght grey or NMF on Japanese Aicraft

Spitfires Forever

Hi Nick

I know my wish list would materialize in circumstances, predicted only by druids and Nostradamus. I interpreted your advice as a ˝fabric had been painted mostly silver, but sometimes also gray-green and today it is difficult to determine, which is which˝. Is this correct? Cheers

Jure

Gah! Thanks guys...struggling to not start a new section in my stash for WW2 Japanese aircraft and frankly about to give in. ☺

Have to say that ok ultimately many Japanese designs wouldn't have made much difference to the outcome of the war, they had a certain purity of design that is pleasing to the eye...to me anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

I invested a fair bit of wedge in the Eduardo Cea series on Japanese aircraft.  I'm not sure as to his credibility but he states that the early war 'ash grey' was a clear  primer, which turned yellow, over grey paint. (Don't worry Nick- I have a few of yours too!).

I think the Jpanese did lose their 262 at Singapore but an engineer flew ahead with the drawings (or was that the Me163?).  Their late-war plane designs were good but they lacked the industrial technology to build reliable big-power engines, turbos etc.  They were very reliant on the US for machine tools before the embargo and I don't think they ever made up the ground.

On 23 January 2017 at 1:04 PM, Peter Lloyd said:

I invested a fair bit of wedge in the Eduardo Cea series on Japanese aircraft.  I'm not sure as to his credibility but he states that the early war 'ash grey' was a clear  primer, which turned yellow, over grey paint. (Don't worry Nick- I have a few of yours too!).

Er, I'm not worried, thanks. I'm not the one being led up the garden path!

Nick

• Like 2