LIght grey or NMF on Japanese Aicraft

Spitfires Forever

Hello guys,

I have been perusing many websites, including prior threads in regard to Japanese aircraft exterior and interior colors  (which makes Luftwaffe colors look like a piece of cake in comparison) and have run across much confusion as to "accurate colors." I have seen a few Japanese war birds that all seem to be sporting the IJN dark blue green (the seeming default color for many of these aircraft) and a very light grey. From what I learned, the bottoms of many of the aircraft in service were NMF and the corrosion/oxidation of the aluminum made the aircraft look like it was painted a light grey. Was there a very light grey that was used, or was it easier to just paint the uppers and not worry about a bottom coat? The Jack and Judy, as well as the Zero at the Planes of Fame Museum in Chino California are all in the same default scheme. And, as an aside, this mysterious Nakajima green, (or is it Kawanishi?) that seems to be somewhat close to bronze green looking on some aircraft, then a grey green drab on others, are somewhat confusing in regard to IJAAF upper colors. I have a N1K1j and Ki 61 (what color was used for the mottling?) that I want to build, amoungst other Japanese aircraft, but do not want to go with the default scheme previously mentioned on all of them. Anyway, I am willing to mix colors to get the greener colors used on some of these aircraft. I got good info on interior colors in an earlier post, now to get the upper and lower surface nailed down, or can that even be accomplished? I will be happy with close!

Cheers

Your question is rather broad, but FWIW ...

N1K1-J is pretty well documented to have been dark green over unpainted metal, although kit instructions continue to call for light gray under surfaces. I doubt you'll find many variations in that color scheme, so if it's what you call "default," no joy. As regards the actual shade of dark green, I recommend you go to Nick Millman's site, aviationofjapan.com, where you'll find two articles on Shiden colors. Link:

http://www.aviationofjapan.com/search?q=n1k1+colors

You'll find Part 1 on exterior colors below Part 2 for some reason.

Ki-61, like many JAAF planes, was delivered in overall NMF. Mottling was applied at unit or depot level, so there wasn't really any standard shade of green. I'd go with one of the olive-ish army greens and dare anybody to tell you you're wrong.

• Like 2

The NMF undersides were a feature of very late war aircraft, when paint and primer supplies were low.  For most of the war the IJN aircraft were painted with a light grey (for want of a better single term) underneath.  Again, Nick's work is the place to go to.  Ignore, or at least set aside for now, the majority of the comments based on older references.

I must admit having the understanding that the N1K1-J had the light grey undersides, whereas the N1K2-J had the bare metal.   Of course these aircraft will have overlapped on the production line, and presumably were treated the same way at that time.  It also seems logical that when paint first became short, the IJN would restrict its use to potentially carrier-borne aircraft in their more corrosive environment.

Yes, I'm afraid that the IJN was possibly the WW2 force with the most widespread standardisation on a single aircraft scheme.

Hi, Spitfireaddict,

I think the general rule of thumb for the late period is that "if the TYPE of aircraft is carrier-based (regardless if the actual aircraft is or not), the undersurface is painted". Of course, there are exceptions; Nick has remarked the Raiden (I think) was painted through and through, I think. But I still think it applies.

FErnando

7 hours ago, Seawinder said:

Ki-61, like many JAAF planes, was delivered in overall NMF. Mottling was applied at unit or depot level, so there wasn't really any standard shade of green. I'd go with one of the olive-ish army greens and dare anybody to tell you you're wrong.

As an exception to that late production Tei were painted in the solid olive drab finish on upper surfaces.

Nick

Thanks again, this information really helps. As to the IJAAF, did they dispense with the light grey undersides altogether? I had just read an article that suggested that aircraft like the Oscar's, Tony's and Frank's that arrived in NMF were sprayed upon arrival with whatever paint was available, and in some cases, using allied paints left behind. Also, by 1944 or so aircraft were not sprayed with primer, thusly explaining the chipping and flaking so often found on aircraft of the period. As an aside, was the Oscar in production throughout the war, or was it superseded by the Frank? And prior to late 1943, we're the aircraft being painted with a top and bottom coat of green over grey? Frankly, I am finding a lot more info on IJN aircraft than IJAAF, but maybe I am looking in the wrong places. Perhaps the limited information is the cause for much of the speculation in regard to Japanese aircraft? Regardless, I am becoming very interested in a subject that heretofore I have blatantly ignored. The Japanese have never gotten the credit they deserve for all the innovation and improvements introduced in their aircraft, some of which was beyond that which the Germans and allies were doing. If it had not been for the B-29 raids and the A-bomb, the Pacific War may have ended quite differently.

Cheers

Edited by Spitfire addict

Certainly a fascinating subject, but I find it difficult to find any aspect of their aircraft that were beyond what the Allies and Axis were doing, or capable of doing.  They began the Pacific war with some very competent types, but rapidly fell behind technologically, in quality and quantity.    The war probably would have ended more bloodily without the A-bomb, on a somewhat longer timescale, but that result was not in doubt.  The submarine campaign alone would have ensured that.

• Like 1

Hi

Agreed, Graham, outcome would not be in question although at the end a geopolitical map of Asia would look quite differently, as influence of Soviet Union would increase proportionally to territory liberated/occupied. In my personal opinion WWII Japan aviation industry deserves credit rather for ingenuity and its abilities for improvisation in face of scarcity of resources than for their technical advance. ˝Poor man's rockets˝ or Japanese paper balloon bombing campaign against USA is a typical example. While an idea looked promising on paper in reality much higher numbers would be needed to achieve at least some degree of success.

Spitfire addict, both Ki.44 and Ki.84 rather supplemented than superseded Ki.43, which had been not only produced, but also developed until the end of the war. I am speaking from a top of my head but I understand that by mid 1942 new IJN aircraft had already been camouflaged on production line. While I am at it, I would like to ask a question about canvas covered control surfaces of Japanese aircraft. Some twenty years ago it had been said that control surfaces cover had been pre-painted in light gray-green colour. Is this information still valid or had new knowledge made it obsolete?

Not much, but I hope it helps. Cheers

Jure

1 hour ago, Spitfire addict said:

As to the IJAAF, did they dispense with the light grey undersides altogether?

No. Factory painting was re-introduced late in the war with a standardised requirement for olive drab upper surfaces. Manufacturers differed as to whether they painted the undersurfaces or not. Nakajima did with the Frank, Kawasaki didn't with the Tony. In February 1945 an attempt was made to reconcile the different Army and Navy paint standards by introducing a single, consolidated standard. This had the effect of changing the paint colour designations without significantly altering the colours in use. So for example the Army # 1 grey-green and Navy J3 grey were re-designated as '2-6'.

I had just read an article that suggested that aircraft like the Oscar's, Tony's and Frank's that arrived in NMF were sprayed upon arrival with whatever paint was available, and in some cases, using allied paints left behind.

Who wrote this article and where is it?

As an aside, was the Oscar in production throughout the war, or was it superseded by the Frank?

It was in production throughout. The last 35 Oscars of Ki-43-III Ko type were manufactured by Tachikawa in August 1945. They were factory painted top and bottom. Nakajima had ceased production of Ki-43-II Oscars in September 1944.

And prior to late 1943, we're the aircraft being painted with a top and bottom coat of green over grey?

In some cases, yes. It depends on service, type, unit, location and timeframe. Impossible to generalise about it. 

maybe I am looking in the wrong places.

Reckon so!

Nick

49 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Certainly a fascinating subject, but I find it difficult to find any aspect of their aircraft that were beyond what the Allies and Axis were doing, or capable of doing.  They began the Pacific war with some very competent types, but rapidly fell behind technologically, in quality and quantity.    The war probably would have ended more bloodily without the A-bomb, on a somewhat longer timescale, but that result was not in doubt.  The submarine campaign alone would have ensured that.

I just watched a History Channel docume notary that went into detail on the aircraft they were building, particularly the Jets, and advances being made in that technology. Of course with the blockade (the Yanks missed the freighter that transported the German jet engine, you can't get them all, right?) Additionally the bombing raids combined with the blockade, and lets not forget lack of exoerienced pilots, made the whole point moot, but it is obvious that the capabilities that helped Japan become a major economic power  after the war were being shown prior to the end of the war.

Cheers

8 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

I must admit having the understanding that the N1K1-J had the light grey undersides, whereas the N1K2-J had the bare metal.   Of course these aircraft will have overlapped on the production line, and presumably were treated the same way at that time.  It also seems logical that when paint first became short, the IJN would restrict its use to potentially carrier-borne aircraft in their more corrosive environment.

When I built my N1K1 a few years ago, I found an online source (perhaps at Nick's site--I don't remember) that stated that there was no trace of gray paint found on a plane awaiting restoration in some museum. This also fits with Fernando's statement above since the N1K was pretty much a land-based plane from the start.

Thanks again, this information really helps. As to the IJAAF, did they dispense with the light grey undersides altogether? I had just read an article that suggested that aircraft like the Oscar's, Tony's and Frank's that arrived in NMF were sprayed upon arrival with whatever paint was available, and in some cases, using allied paints left behind. Also, by 1944 or so aircraft were not sprayed with primer, thusly explaining the chipping and flaking so often found on aircraft of the period. As an aside, was the Oscar in production throughout the war, or was it superseded by the Frank? And prior to late 1943, we're the aircraft being painted with a top and bottom coat of green over grey?

Actually, you've got it backwards for IJAAF planes: From early in the war until sometime in 1944, Ki-43s and 61s were delivered unpainted and then had (or didn't have) camouflage applied in the field or depot. From what I've read, NMF lower surfaces were much more common for IJAAF than for IJN planes, at least until 1944 or so. By the time the Ki-84 arrived, the JAAF was moving toward the late-war camouflage scheme of Yellow-Green (actually a dark olive drab) #7 for upper surfaces (and often for cockpits). Sometimes this scheme also had a greenish-grayish color applied to the under surfaces that may well have been produced by mixing #7 with white.

The use, or non-use, of primers was more an Army-Navy thing: the IJN tended to use them more, especially in the early years of the war, to protect carrier-borne planes from the elements. As the IJN became increasingly land-based towards the end of the war, they may well have discontinued or decreased the use of primers--I don't have the expertise to make a categorical statement; others will undoubtedly know more. I think it's important to keep in mind that the IJAAF and the IJN had very little in common when it came to painting their aircraft.

Edited by Seawinder
typo
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Seawinder said:

By the time the Ki-84 arrived, the JAAF was moving toward the late-war camouflage scheme of Yellow-Green (actually a dark olive drab) #9 for upper surfaces (and often for cockpits). Sometimes this scheme also had a greenish-grayish color applied to the under surfaces that may well have been produced by mixing #9 with white.

# 7! Ohryoku nana go shoku  :-)

# 9 was Aka iro - 黄色 - Red colour

Nick

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seawinder said:

I knew it felt wrong  -- should have checked before I submitted. I'll edit, thanks.

No worries Nick, there is so much to know but I feel like I have more of a handle on this subject. I believe that in an older post we talked about RLM 02 being a close equivalent to the early color of the IJN fighter aircraft, but can this color be used as the underside color also? Would this color work for the IJAAF underside color? Or, is the color a very light grey designated for use on Army aircraft only? Thanks for your patience on this. Once I have a basic color guide that applies to each branch's fighter aircraft then I won't have to post very often. I have done.hours of research on your site and.many others. I examine all the color chips but it is difficult to.assess which of those colors were applied and at which time during the war the colors/schemes were applied.

Cheers

7 hours ago, Spitfire addict said:

No worries Nick, there is so much to know but I feel like I have more of a handle on this subject. I believe that in an older post we talked about RLM 02 being a close equivalent to the early color of the IJN fighter aircraft, but can this color be used as the underside color also? Would this color work for the IJAAF underside color? Or, is the color a very light grey designated for use on Army aircraft only? Thanks for your patience on this. Once I have a basic color guide that applies to each branch's fighter aircraft then I won't have to post very often. I have done.hours of research on your site and.many others. I examine all the color chips but it is difficult to.assess which of those colors were applied and at which time during the war the colors/schemes were applied.

Cheers

I'm not Nick, but the color you're referring to, hai-ryokushoku (light greenish ash) is somewhat similar to RLM 02. Based on examination of various relics, FS 16350 has been widely put forward as a reasonable approximation. Yes, it was used as the underside color on some IJN planes painted in the later dark green over gray scheme. It was not used on IJAAF planes. As I stated above, there was very little if any commonality between the practices of the two services. As has also been stated above, NMF will be appropriate for under surfaces of most IJAAF fighters. If you're wanting to do a late-war scheme (such as found on Ki-84s) of Yellow-Green #7/1-1 over light gray-green (not the same color as hai-ryokushoku), then I suggest you try what I mentioned above: take a dark OD (#7/1-1) and add white. As for the color of #7/1-1 itself, if you've read many of Nick's blogs, then you probably already have this information, but just in case, quoting Nick:

"The closest FS value to both extremes of the # 7/1-1 range is 33070. It is a little too green for the brown end of the range and not quite green enough at the green end. FS 34088 is also sometimes given as an approximate match to the median value."

15 hours ago, Seawinder said:

I'm not Nick, but the color you're referring to, hai-ryokushoku (light greenish ash) is somewhat similar to RLM 02. Based on examination of various relics, FS 16350 has been widely put forward as a reasonable approximation. Yes, it was used as the underside color on some IJN planes painted in the later dark green over gray scheme. It was not used on IJAAF planes. As I stated above, there was very little if any commonality between the practices of the two services. As has also been stated above, NMF will be appropriate for under surfaces of most IJAAF fighters. If you're wanting to do a late-war scheme (such as found on Ki-84s) of Yellow-Green #7/1-1 over light gray-green (not the same color as hai-ryokushoku), then I suggest you try what I mentioned above: take a dark OD (#7/1-1) and add white. As for the color of #7/1-1 itself, if you've read many of Nick's blogs, then you probably already have this information, but just in case, quoting Nick:

"The closest FS value to both extremes of the # 7/1-1 range is 33070. It is a little too green for the brown end of the range and not quite green enough at the green end. FS 34088 is also sometimes given as an approximate match to the median value."

So sorry for the mix up, the new system on the site can be a bit confusing with conversations intermingling on each post, so please accept my apology as well as my sincere gratitude for answering my questions. I did check out the #7 dark olive drab, which seems awfully brown, at least from the color chips I perused. It looked closer to dunklebrun, but if that is the color they used on the aircraft, at least that is seemingly accurate information. I have purchased various drabs and other green colors to mix. The underside grey was the next challenge, but you clarified things quite nicely. Just as an aside, upon examination of the POF Zero aircraft I have found the underside color for the POF Zero to be a very indistinctive light grey, whereas the CAF Zero has a slightly greenish grey, (the more accurate?) and not the warmer color, IJN Sky grey that is often recommended on some of the sites I have visited. Once again I thank you and all the others for their much needed help. I feel that I can paint my aircraft with much more confidence now. The various sites can be so confusing, thusly the reason for annoying all you guys that are well versed on this subject and who keep me from going nuts when it comes to paint colors and schemes.

Thanks Seawinder

Misspelling/grammar

13 hours ago, Seawinder said:

As it happens the paint colour on the under surfaces of the factory-painted Hayate is pretty close to a slightly lighter version of FS 16350. Whether this deliberately pre-empted the 8609 Army/Navy standardisation or was just a coincidence I couldn't say. The standard Army hairyokushoku (just ash/grey green colour - there is no mention of it being 'light') was not like that but doesn't lend itself to straight comparison with FS 595 (see below). Prior to the introduction of factory painting Army HQ and Nakajima had discussed painting Hayate in colours used for the Navy Zero of D1/D2 over J3, due to a combination of its envisaged role and ease of procurement/production, but ultimately # 7 was decided on as the standard upper surface colour for the type. The Hayate factory painted # 7 colour was very close to FS 33070. Before the introduction of factory painting, which was later than for other types, Hayate was delivered in natural metal finish and then the top surfaces were camouflaged by depots or units, usually in dark greens, with the under surfaces remaining bare metal. At first the finishes were typically mottles or kumogata (cloud pattern) disruptive schemes but solid finishes were also applied so it is not always easy from photographs to distinguish between a dark green over nmf Hayate and one factory painted in # 7 with painted under surfaces. But modellers do have a choice of these two main schemes when finishing a camouflaged Hayate.

The Tachikawa-built Ki-43-III Ko is perhaps a more typical example of where the under surfaces were finished with a mixture of # 7 and white, being close to FS 36405. The hue relationship between the Hayate and Oscar colours is still similar so probably just represents variance in the applied paints.

The Army KoKaku (Kokuki Kakuki) 39 specification of materials standard for hairyokushoku, colour # 1, is a little darker, more greenish and more saturated than FS 26496. It is also a little darker and more greenish than RAL 7032 Kieselgrau (Pebble grey). In Methuen it is between 2 C 2 yellowish grey and 2 D 2 olive grey. It is a slightly warmer colour than the cool greenish grey of 1 C-D 2. IMHO the Gunze (GSI Creos) paint H62/128 is a better representation of the standard colour than Tamiya XF-14. In Colourcoats ACJ12 Undersurface Grey-Green is a pretty good alternative. In applied paints there were slightly more blueish and slightly more brownish/cream variants.

Nick 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

I just watched a History Channel docume notary that went into detail on the aircraft they were building, particularly the Jets, and advances being made in that technology. Of course with the blockade (the Yanks missed the freighter that transported the German jet engine, you can't get them all, right?) Additionally the bombing raids combined with the blockade, and lets not forget lack of exoerienced pilots, made the whole point moot, but it is obvious that the capabilities that helped Japan become a major economic power  after the war were being shown prior to the end of the war. 

Cheers

In regard to OD#7, it bears a resemblance to the modern Army Helo Drab, or are my eyes deceiving me? Definitely more brown than green, but it will probably look different once it is sprayed on. I found several websites that are dedicated to colors and the various scientific elements involved, all stuff Nick would know well, and the color looks brown up against a green background, yet green against a brown background. Perhaps the Helo OD with a touch of green drab might get lose to the right color? 

9 minutes ago, Spitfire addict said:

In regard to OD#7, it bears a resemblance to the modern Army Helo Drab, or are my eyes deceiving me? Definitely more brown than green, but it will probably look different once it is sprayed on. I found several websites that are dedicated to colors and the various scientific elements involved, all stuff Nick would know well, and the color looks brown up against a green background, yet green against a brown background. Perhaps the Helo OD with a touch of green drab might get lose to the right color? 

Army Helo Drab is FS 34301 - one of the "new" FS colours -  and appears a bit darker and more greyish than the typical # 7. Some batches of Ki-100 aircraft were painted in a darker, more greyish variant of # 7 which sometimes gets described in English as "charcoal" - although the Japanese characters actually mean black(ish) brown colour.

# 7 did vary as a result of the varying purity and quality of the iron oxide pigments used for it by different manufacturers so you don't need to worry too much about being precise and could use any US-type olive drabs at a pinch. For a Hayate though I'd aim at FS 33070 as typical but for convenience you might try using Testors Model Master FS34089 Olive Drab as FS 34089 is the closest FS value to the # 7 colour standard (as opposed to applied paints). I haven't tried or measured the Testors paint and am only going by their advertised FS value. A caveat is that FS 34089 gives a slightly misleading impression as it tends too much towards an olive green and is slightly too bright/light. The # 7 colour standard is darker and slightly more brownish going towards 33070. What FS 34089 does capture is the richly saturated green-brown hue and slight yellowish undertone of the original standard (some WWII British army khaki drab battledress has a similar yellowish undertone). If you believe in 'scale colour' it would probably address that too.

There is definitely green chroma in the colour, although it might look superficially brown and is very prone to metamerism and juxtaposition against other colours. When the colours were consolidated in February 1945 it was re-designated 1-1 but included in the 'Greens' section of the standard so was not considered to be a brown per se.  

Nick

So Nick, is hairyokushoku, color # 1, the shade used on Ki-27s and Ki-45s?

Also, FWIW, I mix Model Master (enamel) 34087 (not itself a very good representation of the hue) and 34086 Green Drab 1-to-1 for my take on #7.

23 hours ago, Jure Miljevic said:

While I am at it, I would like to ask a question about canvas covered control surfaces of Japanese aircraft. Some twenty years ago it had been said that control surfaces cover had been pre-painted in light gray-green colour. Is this information still valid or had new knowledge made it obsolete?

Jure

It has long been an artistic and modelling convention to always depict the fabric covered control surfaces of mottled or nmf Japanese Army aircraft as grey-green. More recently 'silver' (aluminium) has been posited and indeed there are extant relics evidencing that. The Army was quite pragmatic about colour schemes, often couching instructions in advisory rather than mandatory terms and the doping practice allowed for a grey-green or 'silver' (aluminium) finishing coat over the preliminary coats of aluminium (second) and red oxide (first), previously 'clear'. A whiteish coloured barrier coating was applied to the metal parts before the fabric was applied and doped. Not always easy to tell the difference between the two colours from photos as the silver dope can look quite dull and flat.

Nick

35 minutes ago, Seawinder said:

So Nick, is hairyokushoku, color # 1, the shade used on Ki-27s and Ki-45s?

Yes it was, and it was applied as an under surface or overall base colour to some Ki-43-I and II and to many bombers and other types like Ki-36 and Ki-51. It is the colour represented as 'IJA grey' or 'IJA Grey-Green' in many paint ranges to greater or lesser degrees of - I won't say accuracy - but typicality. Extant samples of the Ki-45 paint suggest that more blueish-grey variants were applied to that type by Kawasaki.

The formal painting requirements with the introduction of metal skinned aircraft were for a primer coat of # 3 (dark) grey-blue (also applied to interiors), then an intermediary coat of # 17 faint/light blue and finally a top coat of # 1 grey-green, but the intermediary coat seems to have been discontinued or not always applied. There is a very nice example of an extant Ki-27 wheel where the # 3 colour can be clearly seen beneath the worn top coat of the hub which is a light blueish-grey, evidencing that the painting requirements were at least followed in that case! 

I'm sorry that I can't comment usefully on your # 7 mix because Testors paints are not easily available in the UK (unfortunately) but FWIW it sounds reasonable enough.

Nick

Just now, Jure Miljevic said:

Hi!

Thank you, Nick. So fabric covered surfaces are best treated on case-to-case basis, with photos supporting colour choices when possible. Cheers

Jure

Yes, I think it would be very difficult for your choice to be disputed.

Nick