1/72 Hasegawa F-16

I can definitely say it's going to be a Hasegawa of one kind or another.  Probably depend on the decals as all of the kits are quite old - at least one set should be alright.  Book might not be very helpful but could be useful.  Somewhat nervous about doing this GB, however - lessons learnt from last year and allowing myself plenty of time to complete with a relatively shake and bake kit :viking:

31960371932_fcf278e186_b.jpg

• Like 4

welcome aboard, and as Simon says :D  you now have to build all 3 and to quote our beloved master, Enzo, "you know you want to" :wicked:

Anyway no pressure :fight:, good luck with the build and we all look forward to see "them" in the gallery! :D Do you have any schemes in mind?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If there's time to spare I may be able to do another one or perhaps start it and complete outside the GB if it comes to it.  Still a bit nervous as to how it will turn out as it seemed easier painting the camo on WWII planes.

I'm going to make a start on this one.  Quite a lot of parts but the instructions doesn't have that many steps.  It's probably the ordnance that makes up the majority on the sprues.  Fair amount of painting small parts so I'll make a start on those :rambo:  Scheme will be a USAF of some sort as I've found a few decals in the spares that look usable.

31928105400_f52d08f8db_b.jpg

• Like 4

Hey Knight. 

Don't be put off by the kit... its a bit of a hidden gem. Yes the tamiya and revell kits are more accurate for certain Blocks, but this builds up really nice as a early block (10~40 block) F-16. The CJ boxing is the most valuable as it allows you to build almost all of the USAF versions of the fighter.  If you build an early block kit, you can keep the extra bits like the bulged landing doors, and use them to make a revell kit more accurate. 

In some ways I prefer building the Hasegawa ones over the competitors: I've built four over the years and they are really easy to put together, with a fairly simple scheme. The only thing I'd add is a Aftermarket seat, which you can get for under 5 pounds online, and maybe (if you're feeling a bit adventurous) some PE for the cockpit for the switches and the like. If you want to build a later block, you'll need to do a bit of scratchbuilding, like adding scab plates. 

Hope that helps! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finally, actually managed to make a start on it, not much to see at this stage and as mentioned not a lot of steps in the instructions.  Which is a good thing as I don't have a lot of time with other priorities (unfortunately not hobby related) going on hence the long delay.  In consideration of this, I think I'll keep to the OOB build even if it does mean inaccuracies will be included on the model.  Although, as you can see in the photo - I managed to find yet another Hasegawa F-16 kit in the stash... worse case scenario - it'll be my backup :giles:

The next stage would appear to be complete painting of the cockpit, just about add everything apart from the landing gear and ordnance.  With the gear, I think it's best to have the wings already attached to the fuselage so I can see if the model will sit level or not.  Last comment - it's nice building a kit without doing all that sanding, filing I had to do with the last East European kit builds :penguin:

32633964282_764875b730_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A bit more progress, cockpit assembled and painted.  Fuselage assembled and wings added.  Tail fin was dry fitted to check the wings were level.  Started to prep the intake section for building.  Beer cans and HARM targeting pod also added to the model.  Disappointed no ALQ-184 pod is included in the kit - you see I'm starting to get technical now... :nerd:  Will be searching the spares box for one as it doesn't seem right to fit a belly tank.

Quite amazed by how much better the Hasegawa parts go together than the East European kits I've been building.  Next stage is to add the tail planes, tail fin and perhaps get as far as the gear and intake.

32900572436_e07decdc16_b.jpg

• Like 3

A few more bits added - canopy with masking started, main landing gear, tail planes and fin.  Would show off the gear except I just glued the tail fin and it's not completely dry.  Intake assembly also completed and partially painted - also drying.  The main gear came together surprisingly well considering there are 4 struts to be glued.  A good tip is to dab a small drop of super glue on each join after assembly to ensure it all stays glued.  Learnt that from the times when I thought the parts were glued and then it all fell apart later.

Next stage is attach weapon pylons, intake, front gear, pitot.  Then it's all ready for primer and paint.  Worse is yet to come though - stencil decals, there's a lot of it and a task I particularly dislike :mg:

Oh...and I found a ALQ-184 pod :hobbyhorse:

33036541956_700a0a9ccc_b.jpg

• Like 4

Erm... I wouldn't use the word "quickly", a fair amount of time has been spent on non-modeling stuff unfortunately. Decals will be very time consuming I'm sure so trying to complete the painting as early as possible.  Had a bit of a disaster with two stages of the build.  Didn't get the intake assembly to fit properly and still not perfect, decided to leave it as is and lesson learnt for next time.  Hasegawa kits are good but sometimes there is a weak area.  With the F-16, it is the intake assembly that needs a lot of attention.  Other disaster was the rear canopy part.  Model had primer and started to put down the first coats of paint.  That was when it came off with one stroke of the brush.  I was careful in trying not to put glue onto the clear area and in doing so - not enough to attach it securely.  Took a bit of a risk and smeared a small drop of super glue to re-attach.  Shouldn't really use it as super glue can fog clear parts.

As you can see, the weapon pylons are on and I have managed to complete painting of the lower surfaces - just the upper to do next.  Nose gear will need to be added at some point as well as the jet exhaust.

33188105716_473392635d_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Not quite, something is going on with the intake section as the model sits a tad too nose high.  I managed to trim a bit off the nose gear and it doesn't look too bad.  Anyone who hasn't built a Hasegawa F-16 before, I definitely recommend you pay a lot of attention to this area - could save you some cursing later on :rant:  Rest of the fuselage parts are on and the painting is done.  Some touch up is required in places.  I opted for the 3 tone color scheme to contrast with the 2 tone for the Tamiya for a future build - perhaps F-16 STGB II B)  Gloss varnish is next and onto the arduous task of applying decals 

33016467100_f81e791b75_b.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm going to have to call this done, won't be the time to do any more on the model. Although I am inclined to keep it in this clean configuration as it looks different from fully loaded. Admittedly the sticking point with the intake assembly threw me off the momentum and I can't say I put in all of the effort I could have done.

The decals really was a tedious task with all of the stencils, I will say the model does look better with them on. Overall the kit is typical Hasegawa and you can see a noticeable difference between the build of this and a short run East European.

As the model has ended up looking clean, the gallery pics play to that irony :rambo:

33869854826_a45c977982_b.jpg

• Like 2

Well done, she looks great, I'm glad you managed to get her done in time ever if it's a clean config!

Well it was great to have you along, hopefully the build wasn't too stressful.

• Like 1