Bandai Cosmo Fighters

I think my enamel thinners (Tamiya) have mutated into some kind of molecular acid - they just ate right through the Tamiya lacquer I'd sprayed for the black areas despite my using the gentlest swipe imaginable.

Dallas and co had to run down several ladders to find where the stuff stopped dissolving the paint...

Any suggestions for milder thinner? I've got some odourless turpenoid somewhere, and some AK white spirit, but for some reason I thought the Tamiya thinners were quite mild?

Will

• Like 1

Even though it's enamel over cured-for-a-week lacquer? I've used it before on Tamiya lacquers with no issues - this particular build seems to be a wee bit cursed...

I suppose it might've leached through and attacked the Alclad - that would make sense.

W

OK, so I added a layer of Klear over the wings and fins, and switched to a bottle of AK white spirit I found in the drawer, and I seem to have got away with it all :) So the washing bit is done, I need to add some streaks, and I also weathered the engine. Photos in daylight :)

Cosmo Falcon is feeling a bit forgotten though...

Will

• Like 1

I added some streaks and tweaks to the metal areas and took pictures under artificial light in the end as I ran out of daylight:

32379759290_ea29f95815_b.jpg

Where possible I've used the streaks to hide any paint damage - mostly an issue on the underside but there's a bit on the chromed rear "vent" outlets either side of the engine.

32379761290_c885357675_b.jpg

I weathered the petals with acrylics and pigments, so no risk of cracking there :) The washes I sponged on the outside are a bit too much though and need something to blend them in - possibly a very light buffing or even sanding will help. The insides look cool but I seem to have neglected to get them in focus!

The bullet fairing thing probably ought to have exhaust streaking but it looked so shiny that I thought I'd leave it as-is. It's probably made of special space metal.

Will

• Like 8

I have to echo the above sentiments - it does look rather special (in a good way)

I have one of these on my watching list on Evilbay - I am deciding whether or not I should get one. Your build is very much an enticement

Si

• Like 1

Cheers all, nearly there now! I'm a bit concerned about the sparkliness of the close-ups but hopefully I can dust it down properly :)

1 hour ago, Blastvader said:

Late to the party on the thinners suggestion; but I would suggest W&N Sansodor.

Thanks for the tip, I guess that's some kind of odourless turpenoid? Will have a look at the art shop next time I pop in.

I feel like I've been neglecting the Cosmo Falcon a bit, in theory that should be a bit simpler without the metal surfaces.

Cheers,

Will

Looking awesome Will. These ships are so Japanese looking. It's great !

I found out the other day the Battleship from "Star Blazers" (that's what I knew it as as a kid) is also available in 1/350 and 1/500 scale. Also a very nice build !

Or are these 1/350 scale fighters from that kit ? :-)

Edited by Portaler
  • Like 1

Thanks folks! Haven't had time to do more yet but it's nearly the weekend.

On ‎8‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 1:26 AM, Hunter Rose said:

that blue looks amazing alongside 

The blue is partly luck - I had some paint wear from the enamel thinner but it's generally ended up looking more faded so that's to the good :)

4 hours ago, Portaler said:

I found out the other day the Battleship from "Star Blazers" (that's what I knew it as as a kid) is also available in 1/350 and 1/500 scale. Also a very nice build !

Or are these 1/350 scale fighters from that kit ? :-)

I've built half of the 1/500 kit and it was great fun - just got bogged down with electronics. Madhatter finished his and it is awesome to behold:

Much as I like small things I don't think I'd try natural metal finish at 1/350! That reminds me though - I have a couple of 1/1000 fighters which I never painted from the Cosmo Navy kit:

24117883272_80e3825326_b.jpg

They need that big gap filling but are otherwise rather neat.

Will

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the huge gap, but I finally got psyched up to continue today - I've been on holiday as of Monday but have been avoiding modelling "work" in favour of videogames and sitting around. Plus I managed another faceplant while running and am now lacking skin on one knee :P

However, I did do some varnish and chipping and finishing up work on the Cosmo Zero. Still needs drop tanks and probably some tweaking (and likely a better permanent stand) but it's close to done:

33006756216_a5a592784d_b.jpg

I tried a silver pencil for the chips, which looked good but the pigment tended to flake all over so I removed it with blu-tak and went back to paint.

I'm trying to set up a better, more consistent photo environment, of which this photo does not take advantage, but hopefully you get the idea.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 6

I do like that - great job Will

I personally can't see the chipping but I am also using a phone, so the pictures aren't as great as on a PC, but I will have another look later

Its great to see some more SBY subjects here 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, sorry for the gap again, our game came out and I've been spending my spare time playing it. Robot dinosaurs ftw.

I've also been tidying up the office and fixing some minor DIY issues, and got to the point where I can try out my new photo setup:

33282365461_a1f7979d0c_b.jpg

Nice and bland! It needs a key light to show the metals properly, and I'm thinking about dipping my toes into cheap speedlights rather than ambient light so I can get more consistent results shot-to-shot.

Anyhoo, this is to disguise the fact that I still haven't done the drop tanks, so it still isn't finished. Not a great effort so far this year!

Cheers,

Will

• Like 6