Tamiya SAS Jeep, what is this?

Nutsabout

I'm definitely no expert on WW2 vehicles, but it looks like it could be the head on an "entrenching" tool to me. Why it would not be attached to the wooden handle of the tool (if that's what it is), I couldn't say.....

Hope this is of some help. 

Chris. 

PS: Or possibly the fuel-cap cover...??

Edited by spruecutter96
To add a PS.

It looks to me as though it is a or pick axe head. They weren't stored on vehicles attached to the handles, but separately. I'm not familiar with the stowage on Jeeps, but just look at the stowage on any WW2 tank.

John.

Looking at photos of the actual area (both period and modern museum/reenactor), it is a pair of straps crossed over each other.  Underneath it does look to be 'pocket' or sheath to store the blade portion of an ax:

0b587941ecc76dee69f273d87dfa98c2.jpg

af22521f1efe36c11bb4dd13b9e8285f.jpg

IMG_1087.JPG

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG
added photo

4 minutes ago, JackG said:

Looking at photos of the actual area (both period and modern museum/reenactor), it is a pair of straps crossed over each other.  Underneath it does look to be 'pocket' to store the head of an axe blade:

0b587941ecc76dee69f273d87dfa98c2.jpg

af22521f1efe36c11bb4dd13b9e8285f.jpg

regards,

Jack

Just about to say the same thing, it certainly looks more like the strapping for tools or implements rather than a pick head.

Look at this pic for some details.

Panzer_Aces_42++(2).jpg

Mine (real) had shovel and axe as in the pics of the real thing.  On the model it looks like a moulding for the axe head cover and webbing straps and metal buckles.   In service it seems SAS Jeeps and many others in service were stripped of the pioneer tools because they were:

1 - superfluous

2 - heavy

3 - nicked

Hope it helps

Edited by Jeepboy
  • Like 1