Harrier

Well , all the components that will be visible and will I need to give reality model ready and waiting for painting in the correct colors.index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=170302index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=170303
Guys please help in selecting colors of these components

Thanks  !!!!!

• Like 4

Message box should have some space now! :)

I haven't chipped in on the colour question as I'm not too good with paints but this site (transport archive) may help with some good colour pictures of your engine.

Just off the top of my head, the real fan casing is painted (or more likely some expensive form of powder coated) in pale grey, the plenum was natural aluminium colour on early engines but has a yellowy-orange colour on the 105 and 107. There are heat shields over the compressor/burner/turbine casing that are a matt aluminium colour and I believe the "elephant's bum" section is made from Inconel or some fancy titanium alloy (although it is covered in that dimpled adiabatic blanket that looks stainless steel-like to my eye. Oil tanks are shiny polished stainless steel and accessories (alternator, fuel system, DECUs, GTS/APU) are roughly the same grey as the fan casing. Think the hydraulic pumps are white. The fan module stator mounting bolts look stainless steel and are probably titanium as are the various bolt heads dotted around the accessories. Exhausts look rustier and sootier the older they get and there is nothing I can tell you about heat staining that you won't already know. Aft nozzle cooling pipes and water supply pipe are stainless steel. Fire bulkhead has a black coloured sealing strip around its edge.

Hope this helps.

Kirk

• Like 2

No problem Vitaliy. Most fans are made from similar stuff. The finish is very much like a slightly matt steel. Say like a new brake disc on your car. With regards to the question you sent me regarding the position of the bleed air ducts, I think it is a case of a small optical illusion resulting from them being slightly lower down than the inboard upper auxiliary intake doors. If viewed from above, I think it would consistently be the case that the forward edge of the duct would appear forward of the AI door, perhaps by as much as as half the length of the duct. The reason I don't think it could have moved over the period of production is that all single seat aircraft have the same air conditioning unit crammed into the limited space aft of the duct.

By the way, are you planning on having the engine access panels open in your model? There are some good pictures of this area in Mark Attril's book.

Cheers,

Kirk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK: Attention Armourers!!!

Here are the questions that Vitaliy put to me via pm that you chaps may be able to help with:

Please can you explain how the ventral dispensers on the Harrier are configured? I see that sometimes there is something that looks like a flat cover over the dispenser, sometimes there's an empty grid and sometimes the grid is filled. Lots of questions:

1. In theatre, are the dispensers always filled before a mission and partially used ones emptied afterwards?

2. Can a single dispenser hold both chaff and flare at the same time?

3. Is there a visual difference between the chaff and flare "capsules" that would show on a model?

4. Should an aircraft with "live" dispensers shown an "aircraft armed" sign?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Vitaliy. I replied to your pm regarding GR7 vs GR9, although you may get a better answer if you put your questions on this thread since there are many more knowledgeable people than me here.

Likewise, you may get a better response to your dispenser question on a separate topic, since an armourer may skip a topic just entitled "Harrier". Someone who has worked on the Tornado or Typhoon could well have the answers you seek. Try a separate topic with a title like "Desperately seeking a Plumber/Armourer/Dispenser/Expert - free chocolate!" might reel them in. :)

Cheers,

Kirk 

Edit: Actually, just "Free Chocolate!" should do it.

Edited by Kirk

Don't worry and be patient. I'm sure the offer of CHOCOLATE will tempt a few of them to their keyboards.

Especially if you ask them what sort of Snake-eye is appropriate for a GR. 8 :rofl:

Edited by Kirk
autocorrect was trying to be too darn clever