2 hours ago, trickyrich said:

was going to say "wax off" but I'm not sure how many would get it!!

Yeah thats the line i was going for, 

wash on, next post - wash off. 

I knew what you are on about, and I think i'm fairly young for here (cue insults) so the rest should definitely know what you're on about :D

• Like 2

Ok, just a quick half hour done tonight, added some micro chipping using a chromate(?) primer type colour mixed from hataka yellow and green. Also some touch ups with the have glass grey here and there were required after some over zealous rubbing removing the wash. 

Got the chipping inspiration from the pics in @Tim Moff 's thread of some dirty falcons. One in particular shows some chipping on a drop tank in this type of colour. So I did it also mainly on the tank and a few on some sharp edges here and there on the airframe too. Its on top of the gloss that sealed the decals in and  had the wash on. So scratches off quite easily in places where I overdid it. Or in a few days I may take them all off before the final matt coat. Not sure yet. 

Will try and get some better pics of it in daylight to show the scuffs to see what you guys think as to whether I should leave them on before the final seal...

Anyway onto the pics, thats why we are all here.  

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 4

Final Varnish on. 

I went matt all over at first but the finish looked 'forced' cause you could all ways see the variations in colour and the metallic sheen type look had gone. So I went back over with a satin but left the nose cone matt. 

Now depending on angle the light can catch the surface and overpower the colour variations and the chipping and gives a uniform metallic look, and then you tilt it the other way and you can see all the different panels and paint chips. Like a chameleon. 

No pictures of it all matt, just in the booth then as it stands now. 

Tried to angle it the pics to illustrate the above points as best I could. 

It looks much better in the flesh I promise! Don't we always say that...

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Above -US insignia and paint chips almost lost in sheen...

image.jpg

And they're back! 

image.jpg

In above pic notice how the five rectangular panels on spine closest to left wing have lost their centre 'highlight' due to sheen taking over. Can just make them out again in picture below. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Final assy will be soon, 

but will be delayed a week or so because I am going to upgrade the wheels cause it's turned out so nice. So waiting for the postman to bring some nice reskit ones with tread and writing on the them. 

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

I can't wait to see the finial photos.

Patience 😃 will be at least a week while its waits for some better wheels. (Not that there is anything wrong with them, it just deserves an upgrade) 

In the meantime, lonestar is calling 😃

• Like 2

Reskit block 50 wheels. 

Can read the 'Michelin air' and 'flight radial' 👍🏿

They were dusted with white stynylrez, then brushed with hataka blue line. A very dark grey mixed from black and white. Insignia white brushed over hubs, same color as rest of u/c. Detail on tires highlighted with a mixed medium grey (drybushed)

Then they were glossed,

Hubs washed with deep grey. Tires washed with black to tone down drybrushing. 

Just need a flat coat now.  

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Lonestar's bits progress...

image.jpg

• Like 4

Big lonestar priming session. 

Sadly revealed alot of work still to do. 

Hard to see on the black plastic - this is solo turk boxing.

They must have been hammering these moulds in the factory. Literally. 

Surface covered in bumps and gouges with inconsistent panel lines 😡

image.jpg

• Like 1

New late entry! New late entry!

Must be mad only three weeks left...

Seen it in the LMS today. No academy builds (i think) so thought I'd give it a go. Fair price too. 

Read a bit about these on the web recently, but about the standard US boxing. Reviews say its good but the nose shape is off. Lots of options too. 

This is the same kit but with a cartograph decal sheet to cover the south Korean air force...

Quite impressed with it. 

Good detail -eg cockipt sidewall panels and clever placing of ejection points. Example Doors all clear and none in the front wheel bay. Compared to Tamiya's CJ - that has awkward pin marks in the nose bay and all the gear doors 😡

Also the exhaust nozzle has holes in it from moulding pins, stops it being too thick and then getting sink marks as it cools I reckon. 

Good weapons suite, 5 ecm/target pods (circled on sheet - two of which are duplicated due to sprues) 

Lovely decal sheet with all weapon data too 👍🏿

This will be done in xtracrylix with vallejo metal color for the shiny bits... 

Let the madness continue. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Cockpit has just had some paint 😀

• Like 2

Total madness!!! But I'm really keen to see what you do with her.

Unfortunately I'm not near any of the F-16 bases in Korea, so no in air action photos for you. If you need photos of ginormous ships, then there are masses here.

• Like 1

Lonestar gets some paint!

So these are the new mission models paints, I got them from @TIGER HOBBIESLIMITED from the hudderfields show. 

I will try and give you a mini review:

Great paint! 

There now thats over with...

No seriously its very nice.  

Foolproof too. 

I mixed the greys up from black and white as shown a few posts back. 

They spray neat, at around 15psi and dry like a tamiya matt acrylic. Where you can buff it with some kitchen roll or similar.

Diluted with 10-20% thinner they spray nicely at 10psi and dry smoother like a mr color matt or 3/4 matt. 

Then when you add the poly mix at 10-20% they spray wetter and self level. Like this they dry to a lovely satin mr color or Xtracrylics type sheen 👍🏿

I was masking with tamiya tape inside half an hour too 👍🏿

Quite happy with the colours I mixed. Looks close enough to a neutral and gunship grey I think. 

Enough waffle. Buy some. 

New aircraft specific shades out soon too looking forward to those...

Everything was covered in grey stynylrez first...

image.jpg

Nice satin sheen

image.jpg

Nice satin sheen

image.jpg

Look how crisp it makes the detail on this brassin pod. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Didnt do full curve at the front as most covered with the coming red white and blue...

image.jpg

Drying with the have glass lurking...

image.jpg

ps: I tried their primer, used it on the pylons and u/c doors etc as they wouldn't need any sanding, also to get rid of the black plastic colour so I didn't use loads of my mixed grey. Quite a light grey, almost warm gull grey type shade.

Not as good as stynylrez, didn't sand as nice. (Used some on the body last week) Think its more of a 'surface colour unification paint' before starting your paint job rather than a bodyshop type workable primer...

• Like 2

Masking, masking and more masking. 

Going to coat it all in white first to kill off the greys and make the blue and red vibrant. 

Looking at the lines/breaks in the colours on the nose, I think I will mask of the white and red areas and do the blue first, then mask off blue and white and do the red...

image.jpg

Note scratched intake fod cover, this will have the lonestar scheme added to it as in pics of the real plane 👍🏿

Just some plastic card, will have some wire grab handles added to holes once its been masked and sprayed. Just need to find a suitable small white star. Hoping that a vf2 f-14 sheet that may have one...

• Like 5

Masking done, gonna do blue first as an easy straight line from front edge of canopy to where it wraps around chine/wing fillet. 

image.jpg

First few coats on...

Looks like a good match to decal but quite alot of white showing through close up which lightens the overall effect...

Went full saturation with the blue next then adjusted it as needed rather than chase the error over the white base. 

image.jpg

So here it is after a couple drops of white were added. Happy with that.

Then for the bombs mixed some gunship grey into the remaining blue in the airbush cup to get an inert round type colour for the front halves. Rears will be OD. 

Its come up rather dark in the pic, dont panic...

image.jpg

Next, Red!

• Like 2