I've had the issue before Tony with decals and paint schemes, even with the polish F-16 I'm doing now, I was quite concerned with the colours and the contrast, I didn't think there would be enough, but it now looks to be just right. But as often as it happens the eye does like to play tricks with use especially with contrast and hues of similar colours or between light and dark colours (I spent quite a few years in the Film/print Processing industry with FujiFilm here in Oz). Often the background colour has a huge effect on the colour being placed on it and really can trick the eye, this is sort of why we normally paint multi-colour schemes from light to dark. The top colour though is always the same but it's the colour it's placed on that'll trick the eye into believing the colour has changed. Misting lite coats of paint or slightly translucent decals over a darker (or lighter) colour makes this effect even worse.

Looking at those decals through the photo, I think it maybe very close, but I think you may be fine. I'd just give one of the smaller "info" decals a go, they are not so noticeable and probably the easiest to sort out if wrong, but I think you may be very surprised. You've pulled rabbit's out of the hat before, so I'm expecting something amazing! :thumbsup:

Your colour mixing is awesome, I'm so interested in seeing how this goes with the paint.

• Like 2

⬆️ Thanks Rich. 

Not much to update, 

continuing with the hataka theme on the CJ and to save time later on, all the white bits were done last night. 

These can now have the black and silver/metal areas added. 

Then one big glossing session ready for washes & decals.

I was going to gloss the airframe but thought I may as well do everything in one go, so that was put on hold whilst I cleaned up all the u/c bits for the white. 

image.jpg

Also started messing about with the mission models primer on the Revell C lonestar's cockpit parts. 

• Like 2

So here is aforementioned detail painting. Blue/yellow/black and greys by hataka in keeping with the theme for this one. 

I find them quite thin for brushing, so squeeze some drops into a palette and then leave to thicken up for 10-15min. 

The metallics are revell aqua, my favourite brushable metals. Really fine grained and great coverage. 99 alu on u/c bay bottle, 90 silver on the two panels and nav lights (ready for clear colours on final assy) then a mix of silver and brass to get the titanium gold on the chaff(?) boxes. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

All had a good dousing with aquagloss last night, then when I made a brew just now and had some hot water thought it'd be rude not to do this- tried just the one. 

Ta-da!

image.jpg

Thanks to @CaracalModels for his explanation 👍🏿

Edited by Tony Oliver
Pic order
  • Like 5

On 2/13/2017 at 11:58 PM, Tony Oliver said:

HAVE GLASS TIME! 

Monday nights work 2100-2300

So as I said a few posts back I was going to try and do as much work before the main colour. So I did a preshade/highlight with black and white. 

I used Mr.paint, gunze levelling thinner and my new h&s 0.15mm infinity cr+ that I got at yesterdays huddersfield show from Paul @little-cars 

Perfect results!

Much tighter & crisper than I've managed previously on past builds with my tamiya HG 0.2mm superfine & mr.paint. Can't believe how much of a difference 0.05mm makes! 

In the future i'll do the white first though. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Close in:

image.jpg

Next onto the haveglass. Hataka paint from the modern US set. Has an 'SAC bomber green' sticker but is a dirty metallic grey in the bottle. Not sure what happened in their factory that day! 

One Other new thing I tried is this 'transparator' by mig ammo. Basically I think its just pre-thinned statin varnish. But works very well and is a good idea, because alot of these acrylic paints don't like over thinning to allow preshading to show trough. This makes your paint see through but keeps it as 'paint' rather than colour thinner. Mixed it 50/50 or so. 

Anyways using this 'transparator' and a touch of ump thinner gave this hataka paint a lovely silky smooth finish. Sprayed through an iwata Neo 0.35mm. 

Came out nothing like the rough matt grittiness on the first page when I expermented with this have glass colour. Really pleased. 

Onto the pics! 

First pass- 

image.jpg

About 3 to 4 coats later...

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Had to angle it for the pics cause the sheen of the paint washes out all the details. Next is the nose cone and masking for wingtip rails/intake lip etc. Also may try and mask the wingwalk lines... 

Thanks for looking, Hope it was worth the wait! 

Is the paint the Hataka Haveglass from the modern US Greys set? Looks the part!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SoftScience said:

The details look incredible.

Yeah they're very fine and crisp. 

Was worried they may disappear under paint but it all turmed out good 👍🏿  

So much that I have added a few more to the stash for future builds. 

• Like 1

Hi troops, need help identifying a loadout for the Lonestar C. Found a pic on f-16.net with it all tooled up. 

http://www.f-16.net/g3/f-16-photos/album38/album68/87-0255-1293400885

Happy with modifying the sidewinders and tacts pod. 

Questions are: 

is this the chinpod (aaq-28?)

https://www.eduard.com/store/aircraft-and-helicopters/1-72/an-aaq-28(v)-litening-pod-1-72.html?cur=1

and are these the bombs on ters?

https://www.eduard.com/store/aircraft-and-helicopters/1-72/m117-bombs-late-1-72.html?cur=1

Cheers, Tony

• Like 1

Looking forward to seeing the Lone Star jet as well. A few years ago, I was invited to the base (about an hour's drive from here) to see the actual jet up close - it really was even more attractive than it looked in the photos.  

Please note that the horizontal stabilizers are only painted red on the upper surfaces - lower side is left gray. This was not a detail visible in the photos I used when I designed the decals 5 years ago, so the instruction sheet is not entirely accurate.

Edited by CaracalModels
  • Like 1

On 2/21/2017 at 10:26 AM, Tony Oliver said:

Hi troops, need help identifying a loadout for the Lonestar C. Found a pic on f-16.net with it all tooled up. 

http://www.f-16.net/g3/f-16-photos/album38/album68/87-0255-1293400885

Happy with modifying the sidewinders and tacts pod. 

Questions are: 

is this the chinpod (aaq-28?)

https://www.eduard.com/store/aircraft-and-helicopters/1-72/an-aaq-28(v)-litening-pod-1-72.html?cur=1

and are these the bombs on ters?

https://www.eduard.com/store/aircraft-and-helicopters/1-72/m117-bombs-late-1-72.html?cur=1

Cheers, Tony

Looks like the Litening Pod. Not sure on the bombs, also says on Wiki last carrier was Phantom II the B52, last dropped in 2015...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M117_bomb

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tim Moff said:

Looks like the Litening Pod. Not sure on the bombs, also says on Wiki last carrier was Phantom II the B52, last dropped in 2015...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M117_bomb

Ok cool. Got one of those pods on order. And the m117 bombs. Picture of plane dates to 2013 According to text. 

So even though they're not the exact bombs in the pic it may have carried them? A representative loadout will do me fine...

ps the revell kit that will be this is 'flying' together ha ha...

Edited by Tony Oliver
Date -2013
  • Like 1

So started to look at which panel line wash to use to best compliment the colour, 

Think I'm going to go for the brown one to help give it that brownish grime tinge that can sometimes be seen with this have glass paint. 

I think i will use a combination of all three, like the grey in the wheel bays and the black in deeper grooves and vents. 

In this pic of the washes - black on the left wing, brown in spine and grey on the right. 

image.jpg

• Like 3

Wash off!

Happy with it so far...

Deep brown overall with black in the flaps/slats/rudder grooves, vents, and hinges of all the little access covers. 

Next will be a matt coat (perhaps satin?) And then final assy over the coming week. Hoping for RFI at the weekend. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 7