11 hours ago, Tony Oliver said:

Plan is to try this new black and white technique.

As experimented in the first page of this wip.

The grey will be the mid tone. Then lots of areas and panel lines will be done in black and white. 

Then the whole plane will be covered in a thin layer of have glass colour, allowing it to be influenced by the colours below. Planned for this weekend. Fingers crossed! 

nice work on #2, will be interesting to see how you go with the B&W panelling.

I use to do something similar in the dark old days when the only "metallic" paint around was Humbrol 11! Painting different panels black and white helped break the solid silver look, it sort of worked but the effect was not easy to achieve brush painting! With an airbrush it should be a breeze!

• Like 1

HAVE GLASS TIME! 

Monday nights work 2100-2300

So as I said a few posts back I was going to try and do as much work before the main colour. So I did a preshade/highlight with black and white. 

I used Mr.paint, gunze levelling thinner and my new h&s 0.15mm infinity cr+ that I got at yesterdays huddersfield show from Paul @little-cars 

Perfect results!

Much tighter & crisper than I've managed previously on past builds with my tamiya HG 0.2mm superfine & mr.paint. Can't believe how much of a difference 0.05mm makes! 

In the future i'll do the white first though. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Close in:

image.jpg

Next onto the haveglass. Hataka paint from the modern US set

Has an 'SAC bomber green' sticker but is a dirty metallic grey in the bottle. Not sure what happened in their factory that day! 

One Other new thing I tried is this 'transparator' by mig ammo. Basically I think its just pre-thinned statin varnish. But works very well and is a good idea, because alot of these acrylic paints don't like over thinning to allow preshading to show trough. This makes your paint see through but keeps it as 'paint' rather than coloured thinner. Mixed it 50/50 or so. 

Anyways using this 'transparator' and a touch of ump thinner gave this hataka paint a lovely silky smooth finish. Sprayed through an iwata Neo 0.35mm. 

Came out nothing like the rough matt grittiness on the first page when I expermented with this have glass colour. Really pleased. 

Onto the pics! 

First pass- 

image.jpg

About 3 to 4 coats later...

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Had to angle it for the pics cause the sheen of the paint washes out all the details. Next is the nose cone and masking for wingtip rails/intake lip etc. Also may try and mask the wingwalk lines... 

Thanks for looking, Hope it was worth the wait! 

• Like 5

you're back and what an entrance!!!

I love the effect you've gotten, looks awesome! If I build another F-16 I'm going to have to done this scheme!

Those H&S airbrushes are the thing! I have the same one but with the 0.2 & 0.4mm needle. I use the 0.2mm for everything, fine details stuff right up to the main colours on all my models, I prefer it to the 0.4mm. It's so easy to use and the finish it gives is superb! After seeing you work I may have to try the 0.15mm needle

• Like 1

New addition new addition! 

A Revell C with some am decals, seat and wheels. 1st post and title amended too...

Main reason is to try out these new mission models paints. Got them from the huddersfield show on Sunday from @TIGER HOBBIESLIMITED

I got the primer, and then some basic colours as only armour shades at the minute. There is a burnt iron, but will be perhaps too dark for the jet pipe I think. 

I will mix 3 greys from the black and white. A light grey for the cockpit. Then a medium and and dark for the airframe. The blue, red and white will come in handy for this scheme too. 

Cant wait to get stuck in! (As if i dont have enough to do already!)

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 3

Ooo a third one, I do like the colour scheme. 

I've never heard of this paint here downunder, so I'm really interested to know more and see how it goes.

Looking forward to this next build.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trickyrich said:

I've never heard of this paint here downunder. 

Yeah its only just come on the market mate. Like available for the first time in the UK last week. 

So yours truly is going to be a guinea pig for the benefit of everyone else 👍🏿

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CaracalModels said:

The finish on the Have Glass V bird is the most realistic I have ever seen - looks great so far!

Wow thanks that means alot. 

Here are some in the daylight at lunch today. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Seems quite light and high contrast, but will darken and reduce with varnishes & weathering. (I hope) 

I've always found that if it looks 'right' at this stage, it wont anymore by the time it's finished. 

I guess its just having the confidence to leave it as it is, and let the weathering do the work. 

Going to mask and spray the neutral grey bits and white bits tonight hopefully. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

WOW......not much more you can say!!!!

Hmmmm I wouldn't be so hasty....

Discovered a problem. 

Although the paint job looks in scale and quite faded, I had a look at the decals and dont think there will be enough contrast between them and the paint  :wall: 

On these schemes and this one in particular (caracal next gen sheet) the pictures of the real plane its almost like white on black with the markings...

not sure what to do now :think:

That looks fantastic Tony, worth the wait indeed.

Are there any 'extra' decals you can use to test the contrast when applied? The color on the sheet is often different from how it looks applied. I've noticed this especially with RAF Sky squadron codes - they look very dark in the sheet, but lighten considerably on the model itself.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

Are there any 'extra' decals you can use to test the contrast when applied? The color on the sheet is often different from how it looks applied. 

Great minds think alike...

However I realised I can't do this as only have the portion of the sheet for this plane only, so nothing to sacrifice...

In other news, 

mixed some greys for the lonestar C from the mission models black and white. 

Did a tire/scale black, gunship/dark grey, medium/neutral grey and a light/ghost grey. 

Came out quite well I think. 

image.jpg

Xtracrylix shades for comparison. Still wet though so sheen affects it a bit. 

image.jpg

Mixing ratios

image.jpg

Dry. Slight sheen to the xtracrylix. Mission paint is dead flat 👍🏿

Didn't try match the mixed tire black with anything. 

image.jpg

Thanks for looking. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tony Oliver said:

Here is aforementioned contrast issue. 

However I'm just gonna roll with it. So airframe details next before a gloss coat tonight in preparation for decals tomorrow...

Did you try to use an unused piece of decal on the model? Unless you actually place an unused piece of the gray decal on the model, you can not trust your eyes when you are trying to assess the contrast of two grays.

I have been doing decal design for a long time now, and I can not count how many angry e-mails I get soon after I release a sheet with gray markings intended to go on a gray or black blackground. Without an exception, every single one of these folks was either using an incorrect background color, or were falling to the optical illusion called the "checker shadow illusion". Some of these folks argued with me back-and-forth for ten days, only to try a scrap decal on the actual model and change their minds. I am actually considering to put together a Web page describing this illusion and put a link to it on the instructions of every sheet that features contrasting grays.

See for yourself here:

http://web.mit.edu/persci/people/adelson/checkershadow_illusion.html

checkershadow_illusion4med.jpg

The squares A and B are actually the very same color. Yes, they are - go check the Web page, or check it yourself on your screen. Basically the gray color used on the decal sheet looks darker than it actually is, because it sits on a lighter background.  The decals themselves will look drastically different when placed on a darker background.

I would suggest doing an experiment with an unused element right now, but rest assured that the gray color used on the decal sheet is accurate. It took a lot of experimentation to get it right during the design.

Edited by CaracalModels
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, CaracalModels said:

I would suggest doing an experiment with an unused element right now, but rest assured that the gray color used on the decal sheet is accurate. It took a lot of experimentation to get it right during the design.

Hiya mate. 

Thanks for your explanation. 

Sadly I only have the decals for this option, nothing spare... 

Also I think you perhaps took offence to my post, sorry if you mis-understood my problem. 

The contrast issue isn't because the decals are too dark, I am happy with their colour. The problem is that I think my paint isn't dark enough for them to show up against it... Because my paintjobs overall appearance seems lighter than the grey in the real plane pics I have seen and your placement diagram...

However now after reading your post I am more confident to go ahead and apply them to my 'lighter' have glass scheme. 

Tony

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Tony Oliver said:

Also I think you perhaps took offence to my post, sorry if you mis-understood my problem. 

I most definitely did not take any offence - I am following your build (and many others) with interest, and I would like you to enjoy using the decals. I just wanted to take the opportunity to explain the illusion that is possibly in play here. I think you could perhaps use the national insignia under the wing to test the contrast - it is not immediately visible, and you should be able to replace it with another one from the kit decals if the experiment fails (they should be the same color)

• Like 3