Progress on the N.

Decals went on very well. These are nothing like the Hasegawa decals I remember as a kid. 

image.jpg

Exhausting work...

After the success of using decals for the rub marks on a tomcats GE nozzles, I fancied the same for this. 

So I drew one up in MS paint and after several adjustments in size onto plain paper, I then did an A4 decal sheet full of them using the laser printer at work. So now have enough for a lifetime of GE engined cats and falcons :) 

The only downside is you need to scapel each one out individually, but being laser printed the ink doesn't need sealing in. They have a nice matt finish which contrasts with the metal sheen so can be left as they are and look reasonably good. If anyone is interested in a sheet of these let me know...

The nozzle itself is a resin casting of one from a fujimi F-14D. Nice stock details. The base OD was slightly larger than the rear fuselage piece of the 16, so the nozzle had to be sanded down a touch till they matched diameters. So its a bit short but still looks a hell of a lot better than the stock Hasegawa nozzle. 

Painted in alclad magnesium base and then alot of pale burnt metal over the top. Still White stynylrez inside. Needs griming up alot. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Oliver
Pics
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, Tony Oliver said:

Progress on the N.

Decals went on very well. These are nothing like the Hasegawa decals I remember as a kid. 

image.jpg

Exhausting work...

After the success of using decals for the rub marks on a tomcats GE nozzles, I fancied the same for this. 

So I drew one up in MS paint and after several adjustments in size onto plain paper, I then did an A4 decal sheet full of them using the laser printer at work. So now have enough for a lifetime of GE engined cats and falcons :) 

The only downside is you need to scapel each one out individually, but being laser printed the ink doesn't need sealing in. They have a nice matt finish which contrasts with the metal sheen so can be left as they are and look reasonably good. If anyone is interested in a sheet of these let me know...

The nozzle itself is a resin casting of one from a fujimi F-14D. Nice stock details. The base OD was slightly larger than the rear fuselage piece of the 16, so the nozzle had to be sanded down a touch till they matched diameters. So its a bit short but still looks a hell of a lot better than the stock Hasegawa nozzle. 

Painted in alclad magnesium base and then alot of pale burnt metal over the top. Still White stynylrez inside. Needs griming up alot. 

Tony. 

G'day Tony,

I don't think the F-16Ns carried the wing walkway decals.

I made the same mistake on my 1/72 build as I slavishly followed the kit instructions instead of looking at some pics. It may not be too late to remove these unless you have sealed them already?

Pappy

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Pappy said:

G'day Tony,

I don't think the F-16Ns carried the wing walkway decals.

I made the same mistake on my 1/72 build as I slavishly followed the kit instructions instead of looking at some pics. It may not be too late to remove these unless you have sealed them already?

Pappy

No not sealed yet, literally was just  about to. Will do some research as you suggest. Nice one mate 👍🏿

28 minutes ago, Tony Oliver said:

No not sealed yet, literally was just  about to. Will do some research as you suggest. Nice one mate 👍🏿

No probs, also, I think that the AAR door was left unpainted, but you can easily paint this without stripping the AAR guide decal

• Like 1

As in that it should be a darkish steel colour? Or is the door made of aluminium? Anyone else know? 

So made a start to remove walk ways. Very tedious. Using mirco set. Very light scoring along the length of them with a fresh scalpel to help it work in. Just the weight of it, no pressure so I don't scratch the paint. One wing done so far. Going out now so will continue later/tomorrow.

On another note, it's frustrating that I didn't notice the lack of them on all the pics I looked at of this camo scheme whilst researching it.

What a mong :wall:

Plus while looking at google images again for the lack of walkways, all the markings are a lot lower in contrast. As in they are done in the camo colours themselves, example - the 'Navy' on the light grey areas are in the blue grey colour. 

All the decals in the kit appear to be a darker 'gunship grey' type colour. 

Oh well...

Yeah, +1 for wing walkways not on the real thing, and AAR door in natural metal for the win! Those exhaust petal decals are superb, very nice work, this is shaping up beautifully!

• Like 1

Yeah, it's a dark metal colour, gunmetal might be a bit dark, maybe a steel colour. I wouldn't sweat it over the markings too much, though the real deal is a bit lighter than the decals. 

On 1/19/2017 at 3:50 PM, Parabat said:

Ha ha, this build thread has me convinced, I will be 'switching to Gunze' after the quality control issues with Humbrol that are currently endemic. 

Every user of Mr Color has nothing bad to say about them it would seem. 

Mr Color Self Levelling Thinner for painting and ordinary lacquer thinner to clean the airbrush? 

I use the laquers - but need good ventilation, and MLT. Try Mr Paint, straight to the airbrush from the jar, 10-12 PSI and a lovely finish and accurate colours. Bigger jars too so pricier but last longer....

oh dear for once the decals decide to stay on and lift off! You could try using a eraser/rubber gently over the decals you want to remove, it should have no effect on the paint but be abrasive/sticky enough to remove this decals...though try it wee patch to start.

She does look really nice with the decals on though!!

The photo's I've seen of the AAR door, it appears to be a steely colour, may be a wee bit darker, you could try Titanium. Plus depending on how often it was used there is plenty of wear-n-tear around it. I think there are some really good photos in the reference section. 

I just found it, the photo's are on the Zone Five website, some awesome details in this thread, the photos of the AAR doors start about half way down, one before the exhaust photos and one in the "Have Glass" section. There's probably more but those are the only ones I remember for the moment, hopefully they'll help.

• Like 1

Finally all the wing walks are off! 

Scuffs all over is where I gave it a light sanding with some 2400 cloth to smooth it out ready for touch ups & gloss to seal the decals ready for some washes. 

So to get them off I did some rubbing with a micro set soaked ear bud (or q-tip depending on your geographical location). Was best working along the length of them to catch the edge where its thicker and rip it up and off. Kinda like the picture above but replace brush with cotton bud. Rather than initially rubbing across them where the carrier film on the edges it too thin to be snagged up. 

Only two areas of damage on starboard side,  next to the Y of navy around some panels and then a couple gouges along leading edge. 

So a couple touch ups required, but I think its for the best. I am going to do some more touch ups all-over to weather it some more and give it a more faded/worn and patchy look as its too 'clean' at the minute. 

Again as in some of the pics of these they could be quite sun bleached and faded with said panel touch ups.... 

So tomorrow its in the spray booth again!

image.jpg

• Like 3

Looking good Tony.

I don't have a match for the AAR door, but I think anything close to steel would be okay.

I have seen pictures of scratching on the AAR door from the refuel probe slipping as TR suggested, but I don't think Navy F-16's practiced AAR , Navy pilots would be used to using the hose and drogue system and I don't think any Navy in-flight refuelling assets have a boom system. I would just paint the AAR door and leave it at that,

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 1

Sorry to hear of your trials with getting.decals off, always the way though - when you want them on, they fall off, when you need to move them or remove them, they cling like limpets! I'm sure you'll still be able to turn it round in your spraybooth, good luck.

• Like 1

Mixed a lightish neutral grey from black and white using mr paint. 

Then added some levelling thinner and using my tamiya hg 0.2mm airbrush set about it. 

A bit strong but will tone down with further weathering washes etc. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 6

Great work Tony!! Very nice looking Top Gun F-16!!

What colours did you use for the camo?

Edit. I just saw them in the first page. Did you use them straight from the bottle or you did any mixes?

Regards,

Nontas

Edited by NontasB
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NontasB said:

Great work Tony!! Very nice looking Top Gun F-16!!

What colours did you use for the camo?

Edit. I just saw them in the first page. Did you use them straight from the bottle or you did any mixes?

Regards,

Nontas

Thanks mate. Yeah the basic camo was pretty much the plain mr hobby colours (324/317/337) with 306 nose and rails. 

the fading/postshading was done with mr paint black and white. More very soon...

• Like 1

So another update... (Getting bored now)

Because i'm too fussy for my own and good and like making work for myself... 

Where I had done the 'touch ups' with the mr paint you could still see the gouges in the finish from the wing walk shenanigans. Also where I had gave it a smooth down with a rag for dust removal ready for washes, the mr paint 'airframe touch ups' scuffed a bit (adherence to glossy gauzy or lack there of) and ended up looking more like an afv type whitewash. Damn. 

So, I sanded the gouges down till smooth and resprayed those areas with the relevant mr hobby camo colours. 

Then I mixed up a dirty grey from mr paint and levelling thinner and went over the whole airframe. First on the light grey 'touch ups' again to give them a darker centre and hide scuffing. Then also did some general post shading and streaking. Also then went over the edges/borders of the camo to make the central parts look faded and regain the contrast as the 317/337 were starting to merge together. 

So now it looks like this, and is having no more airbrush work unless its the final flat coat - in these pics it has been reglosssed to seal both the decals and post shading and is hopefully ready for a panel line wash on the weekend. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 5

Wash on last night!

Ak panel liner for grey and blue camo. 

Undercarriage/white bits had plain grey all over with some black/dark nato wash on the oleo parts. (Other two jars in pic)

Exhaust bits also had nato wash on them... (Not shown)

Onto pics,

main airframe and the front leg to show said grey and black. Still wet so a bit shiny. Still needs cleaning up obviously... 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Of interest the ak panel liner is alot thicker/concentrated than the mig panel line washes I've used the past year or so. More like thinned paint compared to coloured thinner. I suppose more for your money? 

• Like 2

Wash cleaned off, Ak ultra matt varnish on all over. Ak satin in bays and on white U/C bits. 

All bits now about ready for final assembly in the week sometime once varnish has hardened up. Just need to sort the seat out and spray smoke inside the canopy. Hopefully RFI in the gallery next weekend! 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 6