That is a great looking paint job mate. Free hand is always nice but tricky to realise the "correct" demarcations. But i think you quite nailed it. Tried it myself too with my last builds, a couple of SU-7's.

Great job.

Erik

35 minutes ago, Knight_Flyer said:

I like the whole setup you've got with the airbrushing booth. Camo colors look good.

Cheers pal, pound stretcher plastic tub on its side. Then some led's and a bathroom fan. Both with 12v transformers. One's dc and ones ac. 

👍🏿

Here is where the N stands now. 

Needs all the undercarriage cleaning up/assembling and then painting white along with bays and inside doors. 

Also all the zorst parts need doing. 

image.jpg

Other bits in detail,

Masking intake lip stripe. 

Dark first, masked off, then lighter internal color. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Clear bits being masked...

image.jpg

image.jpg

Tamiya cj etch going on...

image.jpg

image.jpg

Here's that home-made spray booth in full! 

image.jpg

Edited by Tony Oliver
Pic order
  • Like 7

Not much as busy with he-111. 

But got the N's winders up to decent-ish level to commit to paint. Could be better but you have to draw the line somewhere. 

These revell ones have more detail than the hasegawa ones, but covered in sink marks and ejection pins marks and heavy seams etc etc... 

image.jpg

Edited by Tony Oliver
Spelling
  • Like 3

On 18/01/2017 at 1:10 AM, Tony Oliver said:

Not much as busy with he-111. 

But got the N's winders up to decent-ish level to commit to paint. Could be better but you have to draw the line somewhere. 

These revell ones have more detail than the hasegawa ones, but covered in sink marks and ejection pins marks and heavy seams etc etc... 

image.jpg

G'day Tony, I am not sure how much of a stickler you are, but the typical config was one CATM-9L (usually on the left wingtip) and one ACMI pod on the opposite wing. When i built my 1/72 F-16N I just converted one if the AIM-9Ls by cutting off the fins and adding some round stock to extend the body, then re-shaping,

5_zpsywmpaxxj.jpg

The ACMI was important as it allowed for a more accurate post flight examination of who shot who and when etc,

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 5

Nice one mate Pappy. Lovely build by the way.

Yeah I am aware of the tacts pod and have a built plane before with this set up, using the Hasegawa weapons set bits. 

It is something I have considered for this build, but waiting to see how it turns out before undertaking anymore work for myself cause they can be added last thing. 

Incidentally, when I started this i googled images of 'f-16N 1993'. The majority of the ones with this early/initial scheme can seen with dual blue winders, even with what look like earlier 'J' versions with all blue bodies and white heads.

It seemed to me that the one 9L one acmi was more prevalent on the 'later' schemes with more blue in them and the black and white or desert painted birds? 

Tony

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Superwork, want to do this one myself if I can manage to mix the fs36307, Done really fine work of the camoflage and the canopy tint is very nicely done

Cheers pal, but I didn't mix anything mate, used mr hobby colors straight from the jars see an earlier pic for numbers. Unless those shades aren't available in your preferred brand of colourisation product? :) 

And reference the canopy tint that must be pappy's model you are on about with his 'highjack' picture 😜 

Mine hasn't been done yet and still got tape on the outside... 

43 minutes ago, Tony Oliver said:

Cheers pal, but I didn't mix anything mate, used mr hobby colors straight from the jars see an earlier pic for numbers. Unless those shades aren't available in your preferred brand of colourisation product? :) 

And reference the canopy tint that must be pappy's model you are on about with his 'highjack' picture 😜 

Mine hasn't been done yet and still got tape on the outside... 

:blush::blush::blush: opps thought they were the same model, still the point stands for the camo. Thanks for the paint ref, never used mr hobby before, are they water based acrylics? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tony Oliver said:

Yes mate gunze stuff - mr hobby are water based (H - number) and mr color are lacquer basec (C - number) 👍🏿

Ha ha, this build thread has me convinced, I will be 'switching to Gunze' after the quality control issues with Humbrol that are currently endemic. 

Every user of Mr Color has nothing bad to say about them it would seem. 

Mr Color Self Levelling Thinner for painting and ordinary lacquer thinner to clean the airbrush? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tony Oliver said:

Yeah see that happen alot with other threads too when they get hijacked and people skim read... :whistle:

Yes mate gunze stuff - mr hobby are water based (H - number) and mr color are lacquer basec (C - number) 👍🏿

Excellent, are they suited to brush painting as well? Found a seller with a very reasonable postage rate for a jar or two of it

40 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Excellent, are they suited to brush painting as well?

Not sure pal not tried it on a large area so can't say.... 

Alot of the colours are identical between the two ranges - same name but different numbers which can be confusing at first. 

So what I tend to do is spray the camo with mr colour & self levelling thinner (lacquer type - tough and durable with a satin sheen which is ready for decals) and then if any small touch ups are required after is then to use the mr hobby (aqueous type) thinned with water and a small brush. So apart from brush painting the edges of landing gear doors etc I dont have alot of experience in using mr hobby with a brush. 

In this instance i painted the whole plane in mr hobby aqueous, as didn't have the correct colours in my mr color lacquer collection.. 

The good thing about mr hobby is that it also works with the levelling thinner (full of retarder basically) to allow fine airbrush work without tip dry. Not bad for a water based paint! :) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Parabat said:

Every user of Mr Color has nothing bad to say about them it would seem. 

Mr Color Self Levelling Thinner for painting and ordinary lacquer thinner to clean the airbrush? 

Very true, I love them 😍

And yes - 

Mr Color Lacquer - thin with self levelling, clean with cellulose/lacquer thinner. 

Mr hobby aqueous - thinning with water or acrylic thinners is fine, I use ultimate products airbrush thinner (works well across the several brand of acrylics in my stash) 

The leveling thinner is only needed for detail work or to get a good wet coat when using gloss colours. You can then clean with normal airbrush cleaner. 

Example:

The N viper in this thread after stynylrez primer had the base light grey thinned with UMP thinner, then the camo done with levelling thinner. Cleaned my airbrush with vallejo airbrush cleaner...

Next, small details like the grey ecm/radar(?) tear shape bumps next to nose and tips of the prongs on intake etc then done in the relevant mr hobby aq colours thinned with water and a fine brush 👍🏿

• Like 2

On 19/01/2017 at 9:46 PM, Tony Oliver said:

Yeah see that happen alot with other threads too when they get hijacked and people skim read... :whistle:

Sorry Tony, I have edited my post to prevent any more ambiguity

Pappy

• Like 1