1/20 Ebbro Tyrrell 003 - 1971 German GP

Hi everyone,

My last build of 2016 - and one I finished with about an hour before New Years. This is Ebbro's lovely 1/20 Tyrrell 003. I finished it in the specification and livery that Jackie Stewart drove to victory in the 1971 German Grand Prix. He stormed to a half-minute win over François Cevert in the Tyrrell 002. It was one of Stewart's six victories in 1971 that propelled him to his second World Championship. He also drove the 003 through most of 1972, taking 2 more wins. 

Overall, the Ebbro kit was delightful. The Ebbro Cosworth DFV is a much easier build than Tamiya's, and the extensive decal and spec options allowed my to put together the German GP version, despite it not being an official option in the kit. Overall fit was excellent, just a little trouble with the rear wing mount. my favorite part of the kit was the one-piece, metal mounts for those mirrors - they saved a great deal of time and swearing! I used Tamiya TS-5 Blue for the bodywork and a mix of Alclads and Vallejo for the rest of the car. 

X1sUTWj.jpg

IRWXcZm.jpg

IJpMi19.jpg

8Pb3Vhs.jpg

9m0S5Yv.jpg

or6WTC3.jpg

pNbZ3Gj.jpg

The Tyrrell alongside my other Ebbro build - the 1968 Lotus 49 as campaigned by Rob Walker. It's amazing to see the rate of development in just 3 years. 

Thanks for looking,

Jake

• Like 10

Love it Jake, great build, it does look a fine kit and must admit I've been tempted to buy one myself on a number of occasions.

Your right about the rate of development and when you think the P34 was developed a few years later. Ken Tyrrell was an absolute genius and it's always amazed me how the team never had the success it promised in the early 70's.

John

Lovely work Jake a credit to your skills. I too have been looking at getting one of these Ebbro kits and in particular the Tyrrell 003, so I'm pleased that you've shared a built example for me to look at. Did you add any further detail or aftermarket parts or is that the level of detail that comes as standard in the box? Do those tyres come pre-painted with the Goodyear Eagle logos and the thin blue stripe?

Thanks for sharing Jake - excellent stuff !!  :Tasty:  :Tasty:  :thumbsup:

Kev :)

Edited by Mr Modeller