Oswald Boelcke's Albatross dii

sithman

Hi all,

after quite some research for the Encore 1/32 scale Oswald Boelcke dii  I learned that in November of 1916 the idflieg banned "ear type' radiators of operational planes.

Boelcke was shot down in October of that year so it seems that all the depictions of his plane having a wing top radiator are false?

My question to those more knowledgable than I :   did Boelcke's plane get this modification early because of who he was? or should it in fact still have the ear type radiators?

Thomas

In Windsock Datafile 100, the Albatros D.I and D.II, there are 2 photos (66 and 67) captioned as being Oswald Boelke in D.II 386/16, stated to be one of the first to be fitted with a wing radiator, one of the 12 prototypes ordered in June 1916. Possibly delivered to Jasta 2 on September 1st 1916. HTH.

Paul.

Just carried out a little research and found this piece by the very knowledgeable Dan San Abbot " Idflieg awarded Albatros Werke an order for 12 D. prototype D.Machines, serial number D.380/16 to D.391/16. Serial numbers D.380/to D.385/16 were Alb.D.I prototypes, and Alb.D.II 386/16 was one of the two prototype D.II machines. D.II 386/16 had the wing mounted Teves und Braun radiator, while D.II 387/16 had the ear radiators mounted on the sides of the fuselage. The ear radiators required header tank mounted above the engine"

I gather that it is all still subjective as there is no photographic evidence which specifically ties Boelcke to the machines he is photographed with.

I am guessing that, although idflieg had yet to ban the ear radiators the company were already testing out the wingmounted Teeves and Braun. Possibly as much due to aerodynamic and forward vision issue as anything to do with the risk of holing by gunfire.

WOW!  thank you!

VERY detailed and helpful infprmation

I am going to have to go buy a few of the newer books that are around as I plan on building more WWI planes in the future!

Thanks again 

Thomas

Sorry I should have read further as this is also an important piece of information from Mr San Abbott

"In the beginning Jasta 2 received the six Alb.D.I and one Alb.D.II machines from these first prototypes aircraft. . .The first Alb. D.II to be fitted with the wing airfoil radiator was one of the two Alb. D.II prototypes, Alb.D.II 386/16 had a Teves und Braun radiator, this machine was issued to Hptm. Oswald Boelcke, Jastaführer of Jasta 2.

The early production Alb.D.II commencing with serial number D.472/16 through D.521/16 employed the Windhoff side or ear radiators mounted on the sides of the fuselage, on the center-line.

13 hours ago, sithman said:

Boelcke was shot down in October of that year...

Thomas

Boelcke WAS NOT shot down.  He "bumped" against the aircraft of another one of his unit's pilots.  The pilot he "bumped" was just able to make it back to the field.  The damage was more severe on Boelcke's aircraft which led to structural failure and his fatal crash.

Later,

Dave

I am guessing the OP is aware of the circumstances of Boelcke's death and used the term in an 'off-hand' manner. Indeed Boelcke wasn't shot down. I gather that he was actually killed due to not having buckled his lap belt and his habit of not wearing a helmet. From what I have read, despite his having lost his top wing, he had managed to make a relativey soft crash landing but the impact coupled with the lack of restraining harness was sufficient to kill him. It is also worthy of note that the initial incident was due to Boelcke and Bohme taking avoiding action due to Manfred Von Richthofen crossing their flight path.

• Like 1