Sea Fury FB.11 - Trumpeter 1/72 RFI

I've had this one in the stash for longer than it deserves. Not the worse kit I've built although, as you can see from the WiP there are some issues. That said it's a EDSG and Sky scheme and it's a Sea Fury - what's not to like?

Built as WJ232, 114 of 802 Sqn, HMS Ocean 1952 this scheme represents the box art. I found this on aviationprints.com (next to the signature):

On 9th August 1952 Carmichael, flying his regular Sea Fury (WJ232), was leading a four aircraft formation to attack railway facilities in North Korea between Manchon and Pyongyang. While flying over Chinnampo they came under attack from MiG 15's diving down on them. Hoagy Carmichael later stated: "Eight MiGs came at us out of the sun. I did not see them at first, and my No. 4, 'Smoo' Ellis, gave a break when he noticed tracer streaming past his fuselage. We all turned towards the MiGs and commenced a 'scissors'. It soon became apparent that four MiGs were after each section of two Furies, but by continuing our break turns, we presented impossible targets. They made no attempt to bracket us. One MiG came at me head on. I saw his heavy tracer shells. I fired a burst, then he flashed past me. I believe Carl got some hits on him too. This aircraft then broke away, and went head on to my Nos 3 and 4, Lieutenant Pete Davies and 'Smoo' Ellis. They were seen to get good hits on one who broke away with smoke coming from him." Hoagy Carmichael in his Sea Fury became one of the few prop-driven aircraft to down a jet fighter and was the only British Pilot in a British aircraft to do so. For this action he was awarded the DSC. 

I'm building a HobbyBoss MiG to go with it, WiP here.

Finished with Mr Hobby Aqueous and W&N matt varnish. Albion tube cannons and pitot. Hairbrush whip aerial. Hope you like it. I'm using my new Nikon Coolpix S7000 for the first time so please excuse the photography.

31956952701_cb6bfbcaca_n.jpg 31956952501_0a9753a7d5_n.jpg

31233466774_ccaab0e783_z.jpg

31956952221_6a03c4a66c_z.jpg

32035842076_6a90052c36_z.jpg

DSCN0059 by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

• Like 48

9 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Another cracker Ced, great model & another really entertaiing wip thread that led to it! On with the Mig...!!

Keith

Agreed 100%! :clap: Love the weathering :goodjob: 

Ciao

• Like 1

Hi Ced,

EDSG over Sky is one of my favourite colour scheme... So it is always with pleasure that I look at models painted this way.

Your Sea Fury does look great, despite the alleged problems you mention (OK, I haven't followed your WIP... mea culpa...).

Bottom line, although I have never been a fan of this plane (how dare I?....) I really like what you created!

Build a Seahawk if you really want to turn me on!

JR

• Like 1

Looks great Ced! :thumbsup:  I've got a part built one and after looking at yours I might go on and finish it (along with a Firefly also on the shelf of doom) and have a little Korea thing going on.

• Like 1

Thanks Neil.

Er, thanks Ian. No one. I'm sorry... (for those that don't know I'm usually crazy about crewing my builds and I forgot on these. Ho Hum)

Thanks Phil. I'd like a Firefly. one day.

Thanks John, very kind.

Thanks Sarge and BerndM.

Hmmm. Canopy glued on now and I don't want to spoil the finish! The join between the canopy parts is, er, not too good and required some filling. 

To be honest I've been slightly distracted by the fact that, although I have plenty of pilots, kindly donated by BM friends, I only have two of the PJ Productions ones left. I've been waiting to see what their new ones are like and they're now available but I'm not sure I like them as much - they're masked. I've been thinking about moulding some from the two 'old ones' I have left but frankly it's a bit scary...

I have a stock watch on the Hannants site for the new ones will probably order some when they're in. Hopefully I'll overcome my pilot paralysis, hopefully soon.

Thanks Stu. 2017 old boy, 2017. It takes me a couple of weeks to get used to it too... thank goodness I don't write cheques any more!

• Like 1