1/700 Hobby Boss USS Lassen DDG 82

So this is me waay out of my comfort zone...building a ship! I'd say the last one I built was an Airfix 1/600 small ship back in the 70's..

Have gone with this one after reading good things about them. Plus the low price from Creative Models was too good to ignore 

Hobby%20Boss%20USS%20Lassen_zpsecnx34if. 

Really impressed how Hobby Boss pack their kits, with lots of protection for the parts

Hobby%20Boss_USS_Lassen_contents_zpsd64l

Test fitting is good..

Hobby%20Boss_USS_Lassen_dry%20fit_1_zpsp

Etch too! Long way from the comfort zone now...

Hobby%20Boss_USS_Lassen_contents%20etch_

Hobby%20Boss_USS_Lassen_contents%20etch_

Thanks for looking and wish me luck!

Cheers,

Dermot

Edited by Dermo245
photo issues first time around
  • Like 4

Good luck Dermo,I love ship modelling but loose steam toward's the end hence three unfinished boxes on top of the wardrobe!

that said the scale and subject chosen is spot on for an uncomplicated build(PE aside) will follow with interest.:lol:

• Like 1

So am building this one in sub assemblies....because I don't know any different and figure it might be easier that way?!

Am really impressed by the fit and quality of this - just dry fitted for now and still some paint touch-ups needed.

Hobby%20Boss_USS_Lassen_dry%20fit_3_zpsd

Paints are Revell acrylics and happy with the matches..

Thanks for looking!

Dermot

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

Some long overdue progress on this one which got stalled with some other builds.

Kit-supplied PE for the main bridge structure..here's a before

Hobby%20Boss_USS_Lassen_bridge_1_zpsopgr

And after. The macro really shows up all my errors so at least I know what to fix!

Hobby%20Boss_USS_Lassen_bridge_2_zpseaqv

Starting to come together now

Hobby%20Boss_USS_Lassen_wip_5_zps680vr1u

I also made a start on the railings which is my first time doing P/E railings - learned a great tip that cutting them on a tile is much easier than on a cutting mat (DOH!)

Some of the bends/turns aren't brilliant but happy enough with my efforts.

Hobby%20Boss_USS_Lassen_wip_6s_zpsl64epp

Hobby%20Boss_USS_Lassen_wip_7s_zps1pw2is

One side done, another to do. Also getting ready to tackle this little guy...:smile:

Hobby%20Boss_USS_Lassen_wip_9s_zpsqu3mwu

Overall, am feeling the love for this build again and looking forward to finishing it!

Thanks for looking.

Dermot

Edited by Dermo245
photo in twice
  • Like 8

I have built the 1/350 USS Cole and your 1/700 version is just as detailed despite being half the size, a very nice build to watch. I might just get one!

• Like 1

Cheers lads.

Jockster, you won't be disappointed- it's my first ship kit since I were a lad and I've been really impressed by the fit, detail, hull options and all the etch that comes in the box. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dermo245 said:

Cheers lads.

Jockster, you won't be disappointed- it's my first ship kit since I were a lad and I've been really impressed by the fit, detail, hull options and all the etch that comes in the box. 

Yep, 'accidentally' bought the 1/700 Cole on eBay 10 minutes ago. Don't know why I went for Cole again, slightly drunken shopping I guess!:doh:

• Like 1

Looking good Dermo.

With railings I use the round handle of my scalpel, put the railing on a cutting mat, and roll the handle along it until you get the curve you want. I start at one end of the railing, hold it in place with PVA then secure with C.A. gel, then work my way towards the other end. Takes time but I find it easier than trying to fit it all in one go,

Cheers Andy

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Aginvicta said:

Looking good Dermo.

With railings I use the round handle of my scalpel, put the railing on a cutting mat, and roll the handle along it until you get the curve you want. I start at one end of the railing, hold it in place with PVA then secure with C.A. gel, then work my way towards the other end. Takes time but I find it easier than trying to fit it all in one go,

Cheers Andy

For railings, I've tried the UV cured glue. I place a long skinny puddle on my glass work surface, dip the edge of the railing in the puddle, put one end in place and expose it to the UV light. That tacks it down, then I can tweak it in place a bit at a time, expose it to the UV light as I go, curing it in place just where I want it. Seems to work better for me than PVA or Gator's glue (takes too long to set up) or CA (I seem to get that stuff all over the place). The UV glue, about the consistency of honey or thick CA, does not get hard until exposed to the UV light, permitting the railing to be moved into just the right place, or can be wiped off with a pointy Q tip before it's been exposed if you get it where you don't want it. I find it cures to a hardness similar to plastic, not glass like like CA, and is sandable.

IMG_1903_zps5p9fdaif.jpg

IMG_1902_zpsqbmurhqo.jpg

IMG_1895_zpspxbilvzk.jpg

EJ 

• Like 2

Ah, just discovered this WIP. I have the Cole on top of my maritime stash, so I will take profit of this topic. Looks nice so far!

Alex

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alex said:

Ah, just discovered this WIP. I have the Cole on top of my maritime stash, so I will take profit of this topic. Looks nice so far!

Alex

Cheers Alex. This is my first maritime build so please don't look too closely!

I think the biggest lesson I learned was installing some of the rails in small sub-sections, instead of trying to do multiple bends on one long rail. Probably modelling heresy!!

Dermot

5 hours ago, Dermo245 said:

Cheers Alex. This is my first maritime build so please don't look too closely!

I think the biggest lesson I learned was installing some of the rails in small sub-sections, instead of trying to do multiple bends on one long rail. Probably modelling heresy!!

Dermot

If it works, it works, sometimes modellers get too hung up on doing things a particular way.

• 4 weeks later...

Tried a dot filter on this build which was my first time trying one - can't say I notice a huge difference but might have been too generous with the thinner!

Oh well, nothing ventured,..and all that.

Hobby%20Boss_USS_Lassen_wip_12s_zpsd0hjd

And with the last few bits added and some pastels here and there, she was done!

Not my best effort and my first ship in about 20 years. Will post some more pics in RFI. These kits are terrific value, with P/E included and a great level of detail considering the scale.

Hobby_Boss_USS_Lassen_DDG-82_done_%204s_

Hobby_Boss_USS_Lassen_DDG-82_done_%208s_

Thanks for all the comments and enjoy your modelling!
Cheers,

Dermot

• Like 6