85 Sqn Defiant

No, not a Whif....

85 Sqn operated Defiants for one whole month, in January 1941. They were assigned for use shortly after the squadron took up it's night fighter role, it's Hurricanes not being suitable for the job.
Unfortunately, the Defiants that were given to the squadron were early mk1s and we're not fitted with AI radar, so relied on ground controlled interception.
By February 1941, the squadron were re-equipping with American Havoc night fighters.
No photos seem to exist of 85s Defiants, so I have used artistic licence with the finish of this kit.

Built from Airfix's excellent 1/48 kit. The build was quick and viceless. The worst part of the build was the paintwork.  In order to get the intensely matt look, I tried several varnishes,  all without success. Normally tamiya matt gives me a semi matt finish, but, after several coats of Revell and Humbrol matt, the Tamiya seems to have done the trick.

The only addition to the kit, other than the sqn codes, was the pilots harness, which is an Eduard part.

20170102_005855_zpsxgo3qugw.jpg

20170102_005903_zpsqvg7d64s.jpg

20170102_005923_zps4zsn9inw.jpg

20170102_005935_zps9uakoqzy.jpg
20170102_005953_zpsg4xcxsym.jpg

20170102_010000_zps38ogg0se.jpg

20170102_010010_zpsy8l3tl1s.jpg

20170102_010022_zpsrzndx6ft.jpg

• Like 15

Devilfish- love the model. I've been looking for a photo of an 85 Sqn. Defiant to do as well but unsuccessfully. Do you know any serial numbers? I may have to take a look at some of  the Sqn documents when I go to kew at some point.

Best regards

Nick

9 hours ago, 85sqn said:

Devilfish- love the model. I've been looking for a photo of an 85 Sqn. Defiant to do as well but unsuccessfully. Do you know any serial numbers? I may have to take a look at some of  the Sqn documents when I go to kew at some point.

Best regards

Nick

Unfortunately not. I'm having a hard time with a lot of the 85 Sqn builds I have planned.

The Mossie NF36 I have already done was, I thought, the most straight forward, until yesterday, when I saw that all other sqn types carrying the chequerboard had them the other way up to the way the decal sheet shows.

But one of the clearer photos I have found shows mine to be half right.  Very confusing!

The Hurrcane Nightfighter I have planned is also causing me grief.  BBMF repainted their Mk IIc as VY-X a few years ago.  But  records show the sqn to only have flown Mk1s, as far as I can make out.  Simple enough. But then I find a photo of an aircraft which looks like a MkII...Turns out it was a Mk1 with a MkII prop and spinner.

And of course, no one makes a 1/48 Sopwith Dolphin or Grob Tutor!

5 hours ago, AndyL said:

Nice build. And to answer the raised question...

The following Defiants were on strength with 85 Squadron : N1803; N1805; N3327; N3328; N3374; N3389; N3433; N3434; N3436. 

HTH,

Andy.

Awesome, any codes?

Devilfish: I'm also working my way through the Sqn's various aircraft. I went for an NF30 mossie. How did you do the clear radome? Have you seen this before: 

I flew BYUS, BYXT on 85(R) Sqn and BYUJ which was the first a/c I soloed on at Southampton UAS and also flew it again on 85(R) Sqn.

Best regards

Nick

I didn't do the clear radome.  From photos, it appears not all had them, so I went with that...

20161206_104752_zpstftwbbct.jpg

Current jobs are the aforementioned nightfighter Hurricane, a NFII Mossie and this....

20170102_010921_zpsuuazrnh3.jpg

The MkXV

I got a Boston/Havoc for Christmas, which I will be adding a gun nose conversion to.

Recently picked up the Airfix Meteor F.8, and I have a Flightpath Bloodhound Mk2 on the shelf that has been started. (the only kit that won't be 1/48

In the stash I have a Javelin, a Canberra, an SE.5a, a couple more Hurricanes. 

• Like 1